DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE and in the audio department I have the following:

1. Helix DSP Mini
2, Helix E12W
3. Morel Ultimo SC 12 single 2 ohm version/model

I am going to replace the OEM headunit with a Kenwood Excelon later on in the year which would be their Double DIN.

The catch is that the installer claimed he stopped doing fabrication and not into the speaker pods so that is where the conventional 2 way component set comes in play. Also the midbass has to be 6.5 but the catch is that it cannot be deeper than 2.67 inches according to Crutchfield.

When it comes to amplifiers I am leaning towards the Helix G series and below as well as the Arc Audio KS series. I am open to powering the system with a 5 channel amplifier or a pair of amplifiers or even up to 3 amplifiers if need be.

What component sets would you suggest?

Thank you.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you like Morel, they have some nice component sets with soft dome tweeters that are smooove as buttah and the midwoofers like to get down to 80 hz with -24 db LR crossover, fastrings, and good door treatment.

Not sure what trance music is exactly. I have an idea, and it just occurred to me that metallic tweeters might actually suit that type of music better than soft dome. Maybe Morel mids with Focal tweeters.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
No such thing as suited to a particular type of music unless the response will be left unaltered. With DSP you'll have the ability to create the curve you desire which only leaves driver capabilities on the table. Look for a set that doesn't need so much EQ off the bat so you're mostly dealing with accounting for car acoustics. That should be the goal regardless of what you listen to.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I kinda disagree Bayboy. The tweeter material makes alot of difference in the sound. Metallic tweeters have more of a tinny sharp sound, ceramic not as sharp, and soft dome is smoother. Of course, impedance, crossover points, eq, TA, and good golly everything else also matters, I agree with ya there. I have often chose less expensive soft dome tweeters over expensive metallic or ceramic because it matters to the sound.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
And I disagree back. If a metal tweeter has a jagged response with an odd peak that fits your description, then it is a poor design. There's plenty of small textile domes that can sound just as bad or even worse... poor designs.

The goal of a driver is to cover an intended range with little distortion as possible for a given output while being in particular application... and all the while not adding some odd signature... IE.... still be fairly linear. Of course, cost is a major prohibitive factor and often times misuse via application by a consumer.

So to target a driver or design a system that plays well with one genre while sacrificing payback with all others is basically a setup for failure because even within a single genre, recordings can vary just as much.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
your installer sounds like he needs to go.

2.67” as a drop in. What kind of car is this a Subaru or something?

You do know a compression driver will play that trance stuff better than any other loudspeaker. Have you seen the Stevens audio line up?

I would recommend Stevens horns and some type of midbass in high efficiency
Maybe for mounting depth the fatial pro

Or the Stevens SA6CS components which also for a non horn system have the added sensitivity that will allow that type of music to go loud

Are you sure you don’t listen to normal music? .......ever ? Those recommendations work a lot better on normal music also

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do listen to "normal music" but that would on a rare occasion. My car is a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE.

your installer sounds like he needs to go.

2.67” as a drop in. What kind of car is this a Subaru or something?

You do know a compression driver will play that trance stuff better than any other loudspeaker. Have you seen the Stevens audio line up?

I would recommend Stevens horns and some type of midbass in high efficiency
Maybe for mounting depth the fatial pro

Or the Stevens SA6CS components which also for a non horn system have the added sensitivity that will allow that type of music to go loud

Are you sure you don’t listen to normal music? .......ever ? Those recommendations work a lot better on normal music also

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I do listen to "normal music" but that would on a rare occasion. My car is a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE.
Any good set of components and dsp will do the job

If you really want to be “in the mix” (lol)
The Stevens horns will put you right there

·
Registered
207 Posts
The tweeter material makes alot of difference in the sound. Metallic tweeters have more of a tinny sharp sound, ceramic not as sharp, and soft dome is smoother.

Yup.. I like having friends. So I will just keep my mouth shut. :)

On Second thought....

there is one thing that I've noticed with tweeters that most "tests" don't cover. How they sound over time in a real world environment. if you've experienced this is well please do chime in because it's been something that I've noticed over time with aluminum dome tweeters specifically. They sure sound different after you start playing them. Or after you give them a hot supper.

Take this with a grain of salt. But it's been Something I noticed with Metal Domes just not made to par. Aluminum being the one that has been the most troublesome to me. When you start playing them loud, they almost change in tone. I did take a Thermal gun to one I had. And it was odd how warm it got. But it was almost like at the beginning it sounded okay. Then at the end of the track? It sounded like it was breaking up and struggling. I have only heard this on the very inexpensive budget domes.
Its something I wondered about since if you understand a thing or two about metallurgy, it should not matter. But then you have to account for that when they made those measurements about materials like aluminum. That's at a larger thickness etc. And at a stable laboratory measurement. All that goes out the window when you are talking about how tweeters make use of Aluminium.

My own opinion is that when you play the tweeter and it heats up, you change the characteristics of the metal dome as metal does have an expansion and contraction ratio. I wonder if the shape of the dome changes as well. It would be kinda hard to catch this unless you were using a laser or FET analysis of the dome in operation. But it's my guess that as the dome material heats up, it also is no longer the same as it was measured on the bench or during its initial evaluation.

Not all grades of metal are suited for speaker use that for sure. And I have to say, that some Aluminum domes sound AMAZING. But overtime? And I really hate even saying this without solid proof. But it almost seems like some brands that I have tried almost wear out over time. Like they degrade. Almost sounding Harsh over time or flat sounding.

But... Its just been my hunch. Take that for what its worth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I kinda disagree Bayboy. The tweeter material makes alot of difference in the sound. Metallic tweeters have more of a tinny sharp sound, ceramic not as sharp, and soft dome is smoother. Of course, impedance, crossover points, eq, TA, and good golly everything else also matters, I agree with ya there. I have often chose less expensive soft dome tweeters over expensive metallic or ceramic because it matters to the sound.
I think its true that different tweeter materials affect the sound characteristics of the tweeter. These types of generalizations can't cover every tweeter so I'm sure there are some exceptions, but as a rule metallic tweeters I've heard (probably not the super expensive ones) take some taming and getting used to. I purposefully chose my next tweets to be cloth over my current aluminum.

@ebrahim if my budget was higher I would have gotten the audiofrog 2ways but getting some 'get me by' speakers I ended up getting the entry level set of morels.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
This drives my point home even further. Poorly designed tweets regardless of material are usually the result of cutting costs to increase profit. Soft dome tweets are not exempt from this either.

This is not saying to never use inexpensive tweets, rather research the performance of each individual candidate rather than make a blanket statement or think with a preconceived notion. A good example for comparison are the Seas 27F auto tweets where the aluminum dome is actually preferred. You can search the forum for such.

We're not only talking dome material, there's more to a driver's linearity than just cone or dome material. There's also surround and damping treatment of the material itself, motor design, and shape of the radiating structure. So a soft dome tweet can wind up with just as bad or worse breakup especially at a lower frequency that's within the range of use, or... can wind up with a falling response that's too early rendering them rather useless. Again... research each driver individually rather than by one constituent. Zaph Audio has good info as well.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
A speaker is a dumb transducer, it doesn’t matter what type of music it is, a good one will recreate it faithfully. This applies to all speakers Including subwoofers. And for everyone trying to say one tweeter material is better than another, I’m sure I could find examples of all types that are phenomenal and all types that aren’t very good. Just like choosing to make a subwoofer high excursion or shallow, underhung vs overhung, high inductance vs low inductance, magnet or cone material, they are simply design decisions and a good design is a good design.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Overhung, here.
I have been getting into Trance, as of late, specifically the artist, Smilk. I really dig it. Listen to The Last Rainforest(y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts