DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 JL Audio RD400/4 that is going into my truck. The plan is to bridge each amp. What is the appropriate way to connect the front stage? Driver's side to one amp and passenger side to the other? Or tweeters to one amp and mids to the other? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tweeters to one and mids to the other... but that is a lot of power for a set of tweeters. You could get away with bridging one to the mids, and using the other as a 4 channel with two channels for the tweeter, leaving you with two extra channels for whatever.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
doesnt matter, but i would do drivers side on one, and passanger side on the other. reason being is to 1) not put most of the draw to one amp (midbass will pull much more current) causing one to heat up a lot more than the other, and 2) better left/right separation in theory.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Honestly, that's a lot of power for even mids even though many do it including me. Mainly I didn't want the extra channels of a 4 & 5 channel amps going to waste on a 3-way + sub. Basically, that's enough power to run a 3-way+sub if chosen right. Above sub frequencies we don't use as much power as you think for common listening levels.

That's enough rambling...

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have 2 JL Audio RD400/4 that is going into my truck. The plan is to bridge each amp. What is the appropriate way to connect the front stage? Driver's side to one amp and passenger side to the other? Or tweeters to one amp and mids to the other? Thanks in advance!

It doesn't really matter, whatever you want. I have one bridged on mids and one running two channels only on tweets, leaving two channels free. One of these bridged on tweets seems like overkill, and maybe too much.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would do 1 amp for mids and 1 amp for tweets unbridged on the tweet side. My reasoning is you'll be able to keep the gain allot lower on the tweets and you'll have less noise. For me my tweeters have a tiny hiss when my volume is at 0. I only hear it if I get close to the tweeters but if my gain was where my midbass gain is it would probably be worse.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
With all of that power and 8 channels I'd find a way to make it a 3-way front.Bridge the midbass channels and run the mid-range and tweets off the other 4.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
With all of that power and 8 channels I'd find a way to make it a 3-way front.Bridge the midbass channels and run the mid-range and tweets off the other 4.
In my case, that is the final goal. One amp bridged on midbass, the other amp for tweets and mids. Some of us just take one step at a time, as opposed to putting the whole system together at once.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amps have been revamped and the install is complete. The RD's replaced my Gladens. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, what do you think about them? Any difference to speak of?
The only difference is that the Gladen xl 250c4 sounds warmer and laid back while the RD sounds cleaner and crisper. Not a "in your face" type but just clean. Sort of like in the home audio world, Gladen = tube amp and RD = solid state.

Nothing else changed except for the amps.

Head unit is a Pioneer avh5800bhs
Seas Lotus Reference RT27A tweeters
FaitalPRO 8FE200 8"*woofers

Still need some fine tuning, but so far, I've ran the auto EQ and TA from the HU and it's clean! I've listened to various tracks and haven't really need to utilize the 13 band EQ to cut anything.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The only difference is that the Gladen xl 250c4 sounds warmer and laid back while the RD sounds cleaner and crisper. Not a "in your face" type but just clean. Sort of like in the home audio world, Gladen = tube amp and RD = solid state.

Nothing else changed except for the amps.

Head unit is a Pioneer avh5800bhs
Seas Lotus Reference RT27A tweeters
FaitalPRO 8FE200 8"*woofers

Still need some fine tuning, but so far, I've ran the auto EQ and TA from the HU and it's clean! I've listened to various tracks and haven't really need to utilize the 13 band EQ to cut anything.

Glad to hear they're satisfactory, so far. You can probably tune for that warmer, laid back sound, if you want to. I wouldn't know where to start with that, though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear they're satisfactory, so far. You can probably tune for that warmer, laid back sound, if you want to. I wouldn't know where to start with that, though.
Thanks! It's a sound I would have to get used to.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you do one per side, or run them in stereo?
I didn't want to pull apart my RCA's to extend the reach so I did tweeters to one amp and mids to the other. If I remember correctly, there's an error in the manual, which states that for bridging, only Channels 1& 3 are used and to set it in 2-channel mode. That's a discrepancy it needs to be set to 4-channel mode. I was having all sorts of phasing issues and it drove me nuts. To the point where I couldn't even listen to my music.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I didn't want to pull apart my RCA's to extend the reach so I did tweeters to one amp and mids to the other. If I remember correctly, there's an error in the manual, which states that for bridging, only Channels 1& 3 are used and to set it in 2-channel mode. That's a discrepancy it needs to be set to 4-channel mode. I was having all sorts of phasing issues and it drove me nuts. To the point where I couldn't even listen to my music.

If I recall correctly, the labels on the amp made more sense than the manual, in that regard.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Too much power for tweets???

BAH.

I've run alot more than that to tweets, and hell, now I'm running 150x2 to HLCDs. :D

Set your gains, level-match, and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Did you do one per side, or run them in stereo?

Thanks for posting this.

I have a very similar setup to you with my tweets and mids on one xd400/4 and my mid bass on another bridged xd400/4. Your post prompted me to re-visit how mine was hooked up, and sure enough, it was wrong.

I love this site. Thanks again for sharing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts