DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal is to increase stage depth to the fullest with or with out rear fill.

I gonna run mid range and tweets in apillars and midbass in dash all sealed.

I was thinking I could do this
Tweeter apillar
Midrange apillar
Midbass 6.5 dash corners 60hz - 400hz
Midbass / midrange 6.5 middle dash 60hz - 5k

I feel like this would give me great staging and tuning wouldnt be too horrible with everything close together.

Or I could do a dedicated 3 way with midbass just being 60hz - 400hz

Or I could do a full 2 way with 6 5 mids in the 60hz to 5k just seems like alot of mid range though to go this route.

I would like some opinions on pros and cons besides tuning issues id like to hear
About which one would benefit more for increased stage depth

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
I wouldn't put a center speaker in, especially if it's only playing to 5khz. It won't help you. Putting 6.5's in the dash sounds like a ton of work. I'm not going to discourage you from doing it, because it could be a cool project, but it isn't necessary for good staging.

The physical location of the speakers reletive to the listening position play a huge roll in depth and width. If you want more depth, push the speakers as far toward the windshield as you can. Usually though, that location sacrifices some width since sail panels are typically the widest point of the interior.

The classic 3 way seems like your best option, but you may not be able to get away with a 60hz HPF, that's pretty low for even the best 6.5's out there if you listen at decent volume levels. Typically, 80hz is the standard, most 6.5's can play down this low with authority, while keeping distortion to an acceptable level. Plus, a subwoofer an easily play up to 80hz, and localization doesn't become an issue until a bit higher.

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
613 Posts
My goal is to increase stage depth to the fullest with or with out rear fill.

I gonna run mid range and tweets in apillars and midbass in dash all sealed.

I was thinking I could do this
Tweeter apillar
Midrange apillar
Midbass 6.5 dash corners 60hz - 400hz
Midbass / midrange 6.5 middle dash 60hz - 5k

I feel like this would give me great staging and tuning wouldnt be too horrible with everything close together.

Or I could do a dedicated 3 way with midbass just being 60hz - 400hz

Or I could do a full 2 way with 6 5 mids in the 60hz to 5k just seems like alot of mid range though to go this route.

I would like some opinions on pros and cons besides tuning issues id like to hear
About which one would benefit more for increased stage depth
what kind of vehicle is it?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You will have a phase issue just the same as doors with dash corner mounted midbass, it will not sum nicely and the stage will be split

depending how deep the kicks are you will likely better off going there or running under seat midbass with a 5” and tweeter on the dash corners played to around 150-160ish

It works immensely well and avoids phase issues that you seem to be ignoring or just aren’t aware of 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I saw and heard a couple of cars that had 3-way on the top of the dash (some drivers vere a bit tilted toward the middle of the dash. Midbass near windshield and tw+mid pulled a bit toward the listeners (end of the dash) - he was emma master champion in Master class (DLS BEETLE - VERTIGO - Jaka Seles)

If you are looking for great depth of the soundstage and good distance to soundstage you might probably need to perform test with mids in KP area - midbass/mid will gove that sence of good depth.

Some guys (also EMMA top competitors) install their midranges under the top line of the dash, so you are actually not able to see the speaker itself, and reflection from the windshiels becomes direct (primary origin of sound)

Im not a fan of speakers on top of the dash since there are usually a lot of issues with reflections that can be sometimes very hard to suppress.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2016 lexus ct200h f sport

What is wrong with aiming the mid bass on axis instead of windshield like the tweeter and mid range would be then add another 6.5 in doors should def increase stage width but then phase issues will come into play no matter what. I hate kicks my feet go there.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
nothing wrong with on-axismidbass, but there is no point since midbass in 4 way systems play maybe max to 300-400Hz and there is no issue with beaming and output is omnidirectional in bigger portion of frequencyes that that speaker is playing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts