DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to this to work with and wanted to stay very close to stock what would you do? I got nibbled by the three way bug.

Drivers
6.5 Peerless HDS
4.5 VIFA
Tweeter? haven't decided yet.

EQUIPMENT
Alpine 7909
PPI PMQ 210
Coustic 3e crossover
AMPS 13WRMS, 75wrms, 150wrms, 1000wrms on tap
PASSIVE on the front with adjustable crossover/ta points.
Alpine spx pro/spx f1/f17t at my options.

However could toss PPI PMQ210/COUSTIC and passive for an H800 and controller.

Unless 2 way and KISS it?

btw 85 CRX

·
18,604 Posts
After 5 years on the forum, do you really need someone here to tell you to run 2 way or 3 way up front?

Ultimately a 3-way costs more and finding a place to properly install everything is tough. A 2-way can sound excellent if properly implemented. How good of an installer are you and how much do you want to tune? (rhetorical questions)

Flip a coin. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes...

I really think 2 way would be the better option. I was just toying with the idea of a home brew 3 way design. However with a little more thought and looking at the picture more 2 way would be the better option since I want to stay stock looking and hopefully with a 7909 in the center console some meth_head will pass up my vehicle for a system to jack.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
^^^ what bikin is telling you! From experience 3-way is more reserved for cars with plenty of real estate and tastes with more required power handling. As Vance Dickason states "there is no inherent advantage of 3-way over 2-way except for power handling". With a good mid woofer unit (which you will want to acquire regardless) and a high quality tweeter (large format if possible) you can do just as good if not better. Better because of less phase & crossover point issues, which = K.I.S.S.... Not to mention once you go 3-way it gets relatively expensive & cumbersome to find gear that will be competent enough to do it. In fact there are several amps on the market that easily lend themselves to a simple 2-way+sub setup which makes things very attractive if you want to keep it extremely simple (hu+amp+drivers). Try to do a 3-way+sub with one amp.... not so easy!

I've done it and after long auditions I've seen no "great" advantage. In fact I plan to switch back very soon. A lot easier to tune and that's the gospel!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes afternoon headache, kids plays naping/playing quitely, surfin ebay looking at 4" vifa drivers.

KISS it.. PPI 10 band eq, coustic crossover - set of passives for the front stage. Using a single 150wrms x 2 amp, and a 1200wrms monster tamed down for a couple a 12" subs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts