DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been batting around the idea of running raw drivers up front in my 2018 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. Most likely running the RF DSR-1 post ammpro.

Never run active but figured I could try. Mid bass will being going in doors, tweeters on the dash; both in stock locations

What might be good 24db x-over points? I'm looking at these because the woofer seems to perform well in the higher mid frequencies and the tweeter seems to perform well in the lower high frequencies; potentially being a good match with full coverage?

tweeter:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/morel-soft-dome-tweeters/morel-mdt29-4-4-ohm-textile-dome-tweeter/

woofer:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/morel-woofers-6-7/morel-tiw-634ft-titanium-6-woofer-double-ferrite-magnet-4-ohm/

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
For such a big tweeter, it doesn't play particularly low, I wouldn't push it below 2khz, and that thing is nearly 4" across, so make sure it'll actually fit. The frequency response gets pretty bad just under 2khz, so I'd rather cross it at 2.5 or 3khz with 24db/octave slopes. Not all that impressive for the amount of space it takes up, but if they fit where you need them, they aren't badly priced, so they are worth a shot.

That midbass should be ok to about 2.5khz as well, maybe 3khz, but off axis (which is how they will be in your doors) they drop 5dB from 2 to 3khz, so you aren't going to want to push them any higher.

I think the combo will work fine, but if you have a bit more money, try to find a tweeter that plays a bit lower, especially if space isn't a big concern. If you can fit a 3 3/4" tweeter, you can find plenty that will be better suited for 2-way use. Again, I think the combo will work, but I'd rather find a better tweeter since it's going to be used in a 2-way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For such a big tweeter, it doesn't play particularly low, I wouldn't push it below 2khz, and that thing is nearly 4" across, so make sure it'll actually fit. The frequency response gets pretty bad just under 2khz, so I'd rather cross it at 2.5 or 3khz with 24db/octave slopes. Not all that impressive for the amount of space it takes up, but if they fit where you need them, they aren't badly priced, so they are worth a shot.

That midbass should be ok to about 2.5khz as well, maybe 3khz, but off axis (which is how they will be in your doors) they drop 5dB from 2 to 3khz, so you aren't going to want to push them any higher.

I think the combo will work fine, but if you have a bit more money, try to find a tweeter that plays a bit lower, especially if space isn't a big concern. If you can fit a 3 3/4" tweeter, you can find plenty that will be better suited for 2-way use. Again, I think the combo will work, but I'd rather find a better tweeter since it's going to be used in a 2-way.
I appreciate you taking time to look over the specs...what I am trying to do is select a woofer that matches well with tweeter such that I can set the x-over for most complete coverage.....in short....any recommendations?
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-soft-dome-tweeters/scanspeak-illuminator-d3004/6020-00-tweeter-textile-dome/
Stock dash speaker is 2.75" so that tweeter prob won't fit after all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a raw 2-way I'd look at the Satori MW16P-4. Very controllable response from 100hz up and impressive motor for low distortion. Pretty much a rival to Scan Revs.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
Thank you, what tweeter would you recommend paring with the Satori MW16P-4?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
The Satori is quite forgiving in its upper end, meaning you don't have to use something that reaches down to 2khz, but I would still employ a tweet that has that capability for ease of tuning and lower distortion when crossing near that area. Perhaps one of the Seas neo tweets would be ideal, but since you're using dash locations with a max of 2.75" diameter, I would do a search for something more beefier. Maybe the NVX XSPTW tweet which is actually a SB Acoustics tweet would do. Firing off the windshield should help keep the top end of a large format tweet intact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Satori is quite forgiving in its upper end, meaning you don't have to use something that reaches down to 2khz, but I would still employ a tweet that has that capability for ease of tuning and lower distortion when crossing near that area. Perhaps one of the Seas neo tweets would be ideal, but since you're using dash locations with a max of 2.75" diameter, I would do a search for something more beefier. Maybe the NVX XSPTW tweet which is actually a SB Acoustics tweet would do. Firing off the windshield should help keep the top end of a large format tweet intact.

I'll check into the NVX tweeter; they look to be discontinued...

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68822_NVX-XSPTW.html

Great info on the characteristics of the Satori woofer!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the help! If you dont mind me asking, what did you use for crossover points?
130 and 2500, if I go lower into the sub my kick panels get excited and put off a nasty resonance. Sub= Scanspeak 30W/4558T. That is the weak point in my system(kick related, not driver), my sub is right behind my center console so my bass might be pulled back but you would have to really pay attention to hear it.

If I had it to do again I'd redesign my kicks only. Sound is incredible.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
130 and 2500, if I go lower into the sub my kick panels get excited and put off a nasty resonance. Sub= Scanspeak 30W/4558T. That is the weak point in my system(kick related, not driver), my sub is right behind my center console so my bass might be pulled back but you would have to really pay attention to hear it.

If I had it to do again I'd redesign my kicks only. Sound is incredible.
I plan to sound deaden the interior of the front door with Stinger Roadkill and some Dynamat dynaliner and then use the FAST rings but that's about the extent of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is essentially the same as the NVX version that's been discontinued (sadly :(). These are the best 2-way tweeters I've ever used. I have personally ran them as low as 1,500Hz with no real detriment to the sound.
thank you, are you referencing the SS D3004/6020-10 tweeter?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Heard back from Sundown; they recommend crossing the subwoofer @ 80Hz; makes sense.

Would the Santori 6" woofer dig that low? I have 100 watts per driver to play with (front stage)

·
Registered
420 Posts
do yourself a favor and use a 6X9 speaker in the door as they have more surface area than a 6 inch round. I used to run a two way in this truck and used the NVX tweeter(SB29). Its a great two way tweeter that can be crossed very low. I also use the Scan Speak D3004. It sounds slightly better than the SB29 but it can not handle as much power down low. I crossed the SB29 as low as 1500HZ. at one point. The SS 3004 doesn't like it much lower than 2000-2200Hz.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Another tweeter to consider is the image dynamics xs-28. They can be found at amazon for $80 total. They might be considered old school at this point though.

I had a pair of them facing the windshield in my Altima and they sounded really nice in a 2-way. You could grab the 6x9 xs mid too if you wanted, they make a nice pair. The tweeter can be crossed pretty low if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Satori / Scan-Speak combo puts you right in the price range of the Stevens Audio SA6-CS active set. You can buy them separately as raw drivers, so I guess you could consider them raw drivers too... Last year they went on sale 15% off on black friday, but I think they're already a pretty good deal at $589 shipped. I just bought a set and I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts