DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks like those large format SB acoustics tweeters that the NVX were based off are still available for less than $60 each in a couple different formats:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb29rdac-c000-4-ring-dome-tweeter/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb29rdcn-c000-4-neo-magnet-ring-dome-tweeter/

They're both 4" in diameter, but the 1st one appears to have a removable faceplate so it could fit with some work. I would temporarily remove the faceplate, machine it to reduce the diameter so it fits, then put it back on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
wow! lots to think about! I sincerely appreciate all the recommendations and advice. Certainly many many more years than I have (by a long shot). Researching!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The problem with using home audio based drivers in a car door is that they can’t take the high moisture environment which over time will damage either the cone itself or corrode the exposed coil. The Thiele Small parameters are also not conducive to the open baffle like enclosure of a typical car door. It can work though if you find a driver with a higher total Q (Qts) but it’s still a compromise in terms of longevity.

With tweeters though it’s the opposite. You can get a much better tweeter for less money so long as it fits. The SB Acoustics Neo SB29 tweeter is a fantastic tweeter for crossing low in a two way active with very low distortion. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb29rdcn-c000-4-neo-magnet-ring-dome-tweeter/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The problem with using home audio based drivers in a car door is that they can’t take the high moisture environment which over time will damage either the cone itself or corrode the exposed coil. The Thiele Small parameters are also not conducive to the open baffle like enclosure of a typical car door. It can work though if you find a driver with a higher total Q (Qts) but it’s still a compromise in terms of longevity.

With tweeters though it’s the opposite. You can get a much better tweeter for less money so long as it fits. The SB Acoustics Neo SB29 tweeter is a fantastic tweeter for crossing low in a two way active with very low distortion. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb29rdcn-c000-4-neo-magnet-ring-dome-tweeter/
you know that's a good point, I was wondering about the whole rain water thing.

I found these, I believe they are car audio specific, and they look well suited for 80Hz and 2000Hz crossover points, thoughts? Comparable to Santori? and then use the SB29 tweeter?

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/ps165f3_woofer-technical_sheet.pdf

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Stevens Audio SA6 is available as a raw driver as well. It's a highly rated 2-way car audio midbass/midrange driver. You just have to contact the vendor directly through facebook.

The SI TM65 mkii or mkiii would be a good value midbass 2-way driver. Just keep an eye on the classifieds.

If you can find a good deal on that Focal I'm sure it's probably pretty nice. Might not be the best bang for buck at retail though.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
you know that's a good point, I was wondering about the whole rain water thing.

I found these, I believe they are car audio specific, and they look well suited for 80Hz and 2000Hz crossover points, thoughts? Comparable to Santori? and then use the SB29 tweeter?

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/ps165f3_woofer-technical_sheet.pdf
Those are nice and they would work well with those SB Tweeters. I have the lower level Focal PS 165V paired with the SB29 tweeters in one of my three vehicles and it’s a killer combination that sounds excellent.

Also consider AudioFrog GS60 or if you really want top notch AudioFrog GB60.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Been batting around the idea of running raw drivers up front in my 2018 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. Most likely running the RF DSR-1 post ammpro.

Never run active but figured I could try. Mid bass will being going in doors, tweeters on the dash; both in stock locations

What might be good 24db x-over points? I'm looking at these because the woofer seems to perform well in the higher mid frequencies and the tweeter seems to perform well in the lower high frequencies; potentially being a good match with full coverage?

tweeter:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/morel-soft-dome-tweeters/morel-mdt29-4-4-ohm-textile-dome-tweeter/

woofer:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/morel-woofers-6-7/morel-tiw-634ft-titanium-6-woofer-double-ferrite-magnet-4-ohm/
This may help.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279434&share_tid=279434&share_fid=10112&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,379 Posts

If you have a moisture/water issue that will kill a home audio driver of decent build, chances are a car audio driver won't live that much longer either. True, there's cone treatments and specific designs to withstand some of those conditions, however the same care to avoid weathering should be given regardless. That said, many home and car audio drivers have survived longterm in a door when done right. Some of these "pushes" have become almost adage-like of late.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Bay boy, the moisture problem isn’t something that is a problem as a design flaw specific to the door but something that all car doors I have been in share and is normal. If you have someone spray your window on the outside with a light mist simulating rain while you have the inner card removed and viewing from the inside you will see that a lot or moisture drips down from the window where it meets the gasket. It will be basically raining inside your door and escape out the weeps holes at the bottom of the door. Car audio specific drivers are better designed to handle this type of moisture better than a driver designed for home audio. An example are AudioFrog drivers. They have moisture resistant cones and their voice coils are not open to the environment around them where moisture could easily get in. Add salt from winter conditions like I have and it gets even worse. Now you are spot on about making provisions to help protect the driver from this moisture such as creating a rain guard and treating the back side of the cone with a water repellent spray. Like you said one could also do that with a driver that is designed for a car door and it will likely last even longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Still at it....going back and fourth on a few speaker types:

Pioneer Z series components
Morel Virtus components
AudioFrog GS690 and GS25 or GS10
Morel 6" TiW woofer and 1.1" MT230 tweeter
ScanSpeak 7" revelator woofer and 1" illuminator tweeter

Every 30mins I think I've made my final decision! ?
If I run the raw drivers I will use foam or rubber speaker baffles for water protection.
Will be running the AampPro and TwK 88, so active on all choices

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
The Scan Rev & Illuminator would be the ultimate 2-way in that list with workable cons in the low end department, but not as bad as you think when the rest of the response will be worth it.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Moregrip1, I have a 17 Silverado Double Cab so our dash and door speakers should be the same size. I am running hybrid imagine 6x9 in the front doors. They sound great and I have not reason to change them except for the fact that I would like to try the Audiofrog 6x9 some day. Currently running Morel CCWR254 in the factory dash location with no tweeter. It sounds great but really needs a tweeter. Before the Morel I had Audiofrog gb25 in the dash and they sounded amazing even without a tweeter and I will be going back to them soon. I wish my truck was the Crew Cab model instead of the Double Cab, I think yours has a lot more room under the back seat than mine. What did you end up installing or you still deciding?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Moregrip1, I have a 17 Silverado Double Cab so our dash and door speakers should be the same size. I am running hybrid imagine 6x9 in the front doors. They sound great and I have not reason to change them except for the fact that I would like to try the Audiofrog 6x9 some day. Currently running Morel CCWR254 in the factory dash location with no tweeter. It sounds great but really needs a tweeter. Before the Morel I had Audiofrog gb25 in the dash and they sounded amazing even without a tweeter and I will be going back to them soon. I wish my truck was the Crew Cab model instead of the Double Cab, I think yours has a lot more room under the back seat than mine. What did you end up installing or you still deciding?
Thanks for the info! Sincerely appreciate it! I'm finding it difficult to make a decision mostly because I have a very limited ability to listen to the speakers other than a few youTube sites like Fred and Sound or the Crutchfield listening tool on their website. The three brands that sound the best to my ear have been Morel, Focal, and the Scan Speak for different reasons.

The other side of the coin is that I'd probably be happy with any of the choices I listed above or that have been recommended, even if some more than others, so I should probably just buy something already.

And so the/my mental debate continues!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Some great suggestions already.

Another great 2-way combo for the money are the GR-Research M165X midwoofers (7.25") and the SB Acoustics SB29RDN-C000-4 Tweeters (which is what the NVX XSPTW are based on).

The woofer has a bit more Xmax, a low Fs, and better Qts for door locations. And it's nice and smooth on the top end as well. Definitely worth a try for the money.

This pair will rival many way more expensive "High-End" off-the-shelf component sets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for all the recommendations; I ended up going with a set of JBL GTi 670 components for the front. Now trying to decide if I should run them with their included crossover or go active. Any tutorials out there on time aligning components with passive crossovers? Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thanks for all the recommendations; I ended up going with a set of JBL GTi 670 components for the front. Now trying to decide if I should run them with their included crossover or go active. Any tutorials out there on time aligning components with passive crossovers? Thanks again for all the help!
If you use the passive crossovers then you measure to the mid woofer to set your time alignment and ignore the tweeter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok I have the plan in place now for my 2018 Chevy 2500HD CC:

Stock HU
PAC AmpPRO GM61
JL TwK 88
Pioneer 4x100wrms @ 4ohm amp
Pioneer 1x800wrms @ 1ohm amp
JBL GTi 670 6.5" components/front doors/dash
JBL GTO 6.5" coaxials/rear doors
2xKicker 10" L7S under the rear seat w/rear seat lift kit

Thanks again for all the help and advice; just gathering up the last of the install supplies/tools to get started!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts