DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes. That is the set I have except I have the 6x8's. You must keep the components together with the crossovers for the best sound. I might be misunderstanding your intentions.
So, does the bandpass crossover, from the 2", connect to the crsosover from the 6x8 set? I thought it was a separate input for the 2", allowing you to drive them from a separate 2 channels? Maybe I'm wrong on the capabilities of this set...

·
Registered
339 Posts
The bandpass crossover on the 2" is inline and they plug into the main crossover to 'bridge' the gap between the woofer and tweeter. The set is very capable of great SQ and volume. This set alone, with ~65w to them, makes over 100db clear and easy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just picked up a Focal shallow mount sub. Met my criteria for box size and depth and also is on the higher end of the bigger companies offerings. To top it off they are on sale, Authorized. Win win. Focal Performance Sub P 30F Expert Series 12" 4-ohm component subwoofer at Crutchfield
Made a mistake. Looks like only available in a 10

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here and these 3 ways
Hey guys, new here. I'm not new to car audio, as I used to manage a car stereo department at a major high end store 20 years back. But, because I've been out of it for so long, I'm considering myself a noob, and I have no clue on what products are good today. Back in the day, I had Excelon head unit, Xtant amp, Boston Acoustics 3-ways up front and a JL Audio 12w3v2 in a custom stealth box. Since then, family, kids, animals, etc. all kept me away and I lived with Bose stock systems. Anyways, just picked up a 2018 Q50, this time with no Bose, and the system is just ok, compared to other stock systems I have had. So, time to build a budget system for this car. Plans are:
  • Stock head unit
  • 4 channel amp (for front and sub)
  • Components up front (either 2 or 3 way)
  • No rear (or leave stock rears that I can fade off when no one in backseat)
  • a 10" or a 12" sub in a custom fiberglass stealth enclosure
My thoughts are:

Pioneer GM-D8704 4-channel amp
Pioneer TS-SW3002S4 12"

So, not crazy like I had it, but something that is better than a stock.

I have no clue on the components. The car has room for 3 way setup, but trying to keep budget down. Been looking at:

• JBL GTO609C
  • Polk Audio DB6501
  • Infinity Kappa 60.11CS
  • CT Sounds Strato 6.5 Inch 3-Way
The CT audio is the only 3 way, as its the only one in the price range I'm willing to go. But, that does scare me a bit, as the price may be too low for 3-way, plus not really familiar with CT Sounds.

If you're an OG, to give you my preference from 20 years back, I preferred the sound of the Boston Acoustics more than MB Quartz. the MBQs were too bright for my liking. With that said, any thoughts on which set of components to throw up front? And, yes, I understand none of the choices will come even close to the Bostons, given they were close to $900 price 20
Here
Looks like the GTO stadiums are the same way. Buy 6.5 set and add on a 2" misrange.?
these three way Focal are stupid cheap on ebay. Maybe just upgrade the tweeter ?? FOCAL ACCESS 165AS3 16.5cm 6.5" 3-Way Component Speakers 160W Door Speakers | eBay

21 - 28 of 28 Posts