DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am beginning work on my daily, a 2004 Acura 3.5 RL. The car has factory Nav and Bose. From my research I have been able to determine that the car sends a flat four channel (F & R) signal through copper (no Bus/Data system) to the OEM Bose amp. The Bose amp then applies filtering, boosting, etc...

What I need to know is if this signal is a high or low level signal. Determining this will allow me to make the correct connection into my Alpine PXE-H650. Is there anyway I can measure the signal with a DMM to determine?

FWIW, it is my understanding the the system in the 1G MDX is very similar to that which is in my car, it may also be the same as the 2G TL.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I am not sure if yours is the same as mine, but I have a 2006 RL, and with my car, I have a balanced signal out from the headunit to the amp. the amp controls all of the volume and navigation so you cannot take that out of the chain. The signal will have to be tapped in after the amp which will be "high level." Or if you are reallly serious about sound and want to bypass the amp, contact Matt R on these forums and he can tap into the factory amp right before the amp section and you can get signal from there. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if yours is the same as mine, but I have a 2006 RL, and with my car, I have a balanced signal out from the headunit to the amp. the amp controls all of the volume and navigation so you cannot take that out of the chain. The signal will have to be tapped in after the amp which will be "high level." Or if you are reallly serious about sound and want to bypass the amp, contact Matt R on these forums and he can tap into the factory amp right before the amp section and you can get signal from there. Hope that helps!
2006 is the new body style and uses the data/bus system. It's completely different from the '04 which is still the old school body style.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think before the bose amp would be low level and after the amp would be high level. Hope that helps
That's what I am thinking too. Would there be anyway to measure with a DMM to know for sure?

·
Registered
448 Posts
go on Acurazine, Somewhere the schematic exsits in the pages there, if not PM me and I'll get the Acura book at work and scan the page for you. I work for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Best to get you signal before the amp, Such as I have done, and many others. Lo level is the way to go you just need to boost your signal. My factory h/u full tilt puts out 1 volt.1 balanced volt, however. Notsure with the bose system, but it should be close. So after my h/u I have the Matt R line driver going to my fully tweak DSP6 processor.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I thought certain dsp's already had so called lime drivers built into them. No?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts