DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for the long post! :eek:

I am installing a system in my brother's 2000 Jeep Wrangler after his Acura Integra had an unfortunate incident with a tree several months ago. Much to my chagrin, the Wrangler notoriously holds the award for worst in-vehicle acoustics and road noise. My primary goal throughout this install is therefore to create a system loud enough to CLEANLY overcome road noise. Because road noise will be heavily competing with the system, splurging on high-end technically-complicated components will be a waste of money.

To keep costs low, I am transferring as much compatible equipment from his Integra as possible. This includes:

- Polk db 6.5" components
- Alpine Type R 8" sub (the most recent model)
- Alpine CDA-105 head unit

The Wrangler has 2 locations for speaker placement: Two 4"x6" speakers are in the dash adjacent to the air conditioning vents facing the driver and passenger. Two 5.25" speakers are in a "sound bar" which is situated slightly behind the driver's head. As you can see, these speaker locations are not optimal for sound quality or stereo imaging. In fact, they couldn't get much worse.

Given my main goal of overcoming road noise, I plan on fitting the Polk 6.5" woofers into the overhead sound bar. While this location is not ideal for stereo imaging, it's the only mounting location that has room for a speaker this large. While the 6.5s will be slightly larger than the factory mounting holes allow, the sheet metal of the bar should allow me to drill new mounting holes without a problem. I will mount the tweeters directly beside the woofers in the sound bar.

Now for the 4"x6" speakers...this obviously is not an ideal size for a speaker designed to throw out volume. While these are technically the "front stage", their inherent inability to match the output of the 6.5s makes them close to useless (I think). Also, due to the shallow mounting depth available, a 4x6" coaxial design will not work. My only option that I am aware of at this point are 4"x6" plates -- I can get Polk db or dx series 4"x6" plate speakers for $40 - $50. Thoughts? Are there any other options I should consider for the front speakers? Please keep in mind that while I am somewhat handy, I don't want to spend time shoe-horning larger speakers into this space or building kickpods. I want to keep the install straightforward and maintain as much of a factory look as possible. Also keep in mind that Wranglers are very prone to theft -- stealth is always best!

The Alpine 8" Type R is a logical choice, as it is small and will easily fit in the small storage space behind the rear seat. I am going to rebuild the box and go ported this time (it was sealed in his Integra).

My last concern is regarding amplification. Due to limited funds and available space, I'd like to go with a single amplifier solution. My current recommendation for my brother is the Alpine MRX-V60 (due to pricepoint and very positive reviews). I would run 300W from the sub channel @ 2 ohms to the Alpine. This leaves me with four channels at 50W per channel @ 4 ohms. I could run 50W to each remaining speaker; however, the Polk db 6.5" components can handle up to 125W RMS. Since these will be relied upon to produce most of the volume, I was thinking of bridging the amp's 4 channels, thereby sending 150W @ 4 ohms (according to the amp's specs) to the 6.5s. Again, not great for stereo imaging, but my only option in terms of cleanly increasing system volume. I would then power the tiny front 4"x6" plates off the head unit.

I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding this approach. Obviously this is not meant to be an SQ setup -- simply loud enough to enjoy music while driving with the top down. Is my philosophy of treating the 4"x6" front speakers like dirt a good one given my goal? Or should I consider amping them on par with the sound bar speakers (and subsequently sending a measly 50W to the components)? What other options do I have? Keep in mind that I want to do everything with a single amp. While I am not totally unopposed to two amps, I am concerned about having ample installation space in addition to keeping costs as low as possible.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
148 Posts
what i have done for a customer, little out of the ordinary....
i put a memphis 4ch in the center console of the jeep, alpine speakers in the sound bar up top, and kept the stock speakers up front. (customer request). i had to admit, the car sounded pretty good for being an open jeep. engine was barely audible over the system. lol

while i didnt like amping the stock speakers, it was pretty impressive. what you can do is get a 4" speaker and mount it on a 4*6 bracket (usually provided with the speakers).

pretty tricky car, should be fun :D lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey eltico,

How much power did you send to the stock speakers? I didn't want to amp these as I'd rather bridge 4 channels and send as much power as possible to the speakers in the sound bar. If I didn't do this, I'd be sending an equal 50W to both the sound bar 6.5" components and the 4"x6" plate speakers in the front. Since the plates will obviously sound crappier than the bigger 6.5s, I figured it would be better to send everything to the bar (and let the head unit power the fronts). Please tell me if you think this approach is bad.

Now that I think about it -- if I am not planning on amping the front speakers, is it even worth it to swap the stocks for aftermarket plate 4"x6"s?

Also...you mentioned going with 4" speakers in the front. Why this over plate 4"x6"s? Just curious. Thanks again!

·
Registered
148 Posts
We used a Memphis SR300.4, sending aboutb50wrms to each. What was actually nice about it was that we actually had music coming from.the from on the car, instead of the bar powering everything from behind the seat.

As for the 4's, I said that because they're easier to get a hold of and can actually handle a littlemore power. Just a thought, butbyou don't have to, I just dint like 4*6s. I usually offered that to custmers thither than4*6s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have done (4) jeeps with pretty good success. Definitely not SQ set-ups but all sounded good and were plenty loud on a budget.

The first three were basic set-ups, replaced deck, plates, sound bar speakers, added amps and simple sub boxes behind the rear seat.

The 4th was the best which was a 96 Wrangler. An alpine deck, 6" component marine mids mounted in the doors with quick release plugs, tweeters in the dash, coaxes in the sound bar from a 4x75 Sony amp. The subs were (2) old school Lanzar 10's in a ported down-firing box behind the rear seat also from a Lanzar mono block. The box was slightly angled so that the rear door had to be opened to remove the box which helped with security but you lost all behind seat storage.

From all of these jeeps, we learned that a down-firing box worked the best for overall volume since there is little to no cabin gain otherwise. This also allowed for some weather resistance when the top was down. We mounted the amps slightly raised from the floor under the back seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts