DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Painting the mirror mounts would work great. As far as window trims and seals there is kits out there to buy. There's a manufacturer that does classics that made a kit. I just bought new oem mirrors for it last year. So they are around. Have you checked out Maxima.org ? A lot of info there.

A fellow member is attempting the HU mod for me right now and I'm impatiently waiting for my 8x12 replacement board be for I finish the pods. Want to make sure I can get a good tune before I finalize the aiming. I have the new headliner material so I can fab that up. The snow is coming. That's a good thing when you have a heated garage. I lock it in there and get to work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I admit I'm not using the right search terms to narrow this stuff down, and I'm not asking you to Google it for me, but I am curious - who is the manufacturer that makes the classic kits?

And yes, I've spent some time on maxima.org - definitely good stuff there. But, is it me or does it seem like the posts about 5th gens have really died off in the last 2-3 years?

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Activity is low, but info is high. The guys that have most the answers still pop in every couple days and give her. Still an excellent resource. I can't recall the name but I have a bunch of stuff from them in the garage. If I remember I'll grab the name of the package.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Loved this car and now this thread. I considered buying it used but read stuff about the cat converter breaking up internally and sending crap into the engine. I didn't know how to buy one safely and didn't have - rebuild the engine levels of - play money if I got it wrong

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
The cat converter is really a non issue. You can gut them or replace them when the sensor tells you. It's just people like to ignore stuff on low cost cars and the result can be internal engine damage. The first one I owned had 350k without replacing the cats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed...the pre-cat issue only turns out bad for people who have all the information and warning signs and still choose to ignore it.

There are several known issues with the 5th gen's. And though it sounds weird to say it, that's actually a good thing. There is a wealth of knowledge of how to spot the warning signs of these issues before they get worse, and how to fix them.

My first job was to fix the camshaft position sensor, after it failed around 135k. With the help of online forums, I discovered this was a VERY common issue, and that I could easily replace it myself. They also recommended that I replace both camshaft sensors and the crankshaft position sensors. Buying the parts online and swapping themselves saved me at least $500! As a bonus, it also gave me a confidence boost to take on more projects with the car.

Like, maybe installing some custom headers from NISFormance someday...

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I guess I forgot to post the trunk mlv pics so here they are.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Another new addition to the trunk.

Some jackass backed into me at Ilio Diapalo's restaurant. Didn't bother stopping. Not to bad. Trunk lid is readily available and only a little damage to the structure.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I'm not worried about the top of the trunk. No one cares if sound escapes in the trunk nor if the sound rain falling on it comes in there. I just hit the floor and wheel wells with mlv to help with road noise. I did treat everything for rattles.

The trunk is fine. Really nothing to worry about. Just the assholes that aren't decent enough to stop and let you know.

On an excellent note I just bought a full 20th anniversary body kit. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's funny you said that...I just saw it was for sale again on the ORG, figured you'd scoop it up. I'm kinda jealous!

But, I think I'll go with a Stillen Lip instead.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
The oem body kit does take any ground clearance away whatsoever. That's why I like it. I'm only lowered 1 1/2" because Inlike to be able to pull in and out of driveway's.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I just got the Sound Monitor HU back from being updated and serviced. The amps are basically getting rebuilt currently. The updates are coming.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Got it tested, works better than it ever has. I popped in a really scratched up burned disc and it played it like it was a brand new CD. I also got to test out the auto sensing digital (toslink + coaxial) switcher I picked up. That thing works great as well. Switches quick, housing is very stout and unlike the cheasy ones everyone else has, and is very well constructed. Bought it through Tindie. Got to talk to the guy that made it. He made a couple mods at my request for no additional charge. It was 60 some bucks and I am very pleased.

The testing:
Unit was repaired and serviced by Jeff P. He's the man. Very helpful. Took the time walk me through stuff and explain cost.

Yes that is a Victor Inox power supply. Where's Victor!

The very scratched burned disc this unit now plays effortlessly. Thanks Jeff!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Maaaaaaaaan! I wanted the 20th Anniversary SE when I was fresh out of college soooo bad. Enjoying this build.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I'm about to purchase the ever rare Cattman Headers (probably today) and a supercharger later this summer. So it's about sound sweet, look sweet, and go fast.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #139

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
This is what happens when you take forever on a build. You keep switching things. I'm going try out the Stereo Integrity M25 and M3. I had been using the M25 in my truck for a while. I like them. I had some M3's custom made.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts