DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I re-did the headliner with matching Naugahyde. There was nothing wrong with it I just hate cloth.

I left the cloth as a backer as I tried to pull it in a corner and couldn't.

Hit the sunroof cover as well.

The original cloth liner pulled off easily. I had scrape off the foam backing and fight with the adhesive. I had some 3M adhesive remover and it worked ok. Wipe it, wait, then scrape off relatively easily. I thought there had to be something better. Grabbed a can of Goof Off. Amazing! Spray and immediately wipe off with a cloth. Took about 2 minutes.

Hit top with a couple pieces of SDS tiles. I only have a few left :bigcry:

I used 3M headliner adhesive.

I also slapped some new fabric on the top. The bumps from the cld won't matter as it can never be seen. The sunroof is mirror tinted and the cover can't be closed with the glass open.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
While I was putting it back in I broke two of the guides. Of course they are part of the sunroof assembly which amazingly can still be purchased from Nissan for a measly $940. So I'm having them 3D printed. It's super upsetting because I've had the roof it off this thing basically since I owned it. It's all ready to go back in and I brake an essential piece. Here's the culprit

There's 4, I broke two. Having 4 made just in case.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
While I was putting it back in I broke two of the guides. If course they are part of the sunroof assembly which amazingly can still be purchased from Nissan for a measly $940. So I'm having them 3D printed. It super upsetting because I've had the roof it off this thing basically since I owned it. It's all ready to go back in and I brake an essential piece. Here's the culprit

There's 4, I broke two. Having 4 made just in case.
I think I'd have 12 of them made, you know you're gonna break more of them.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I had to get a band expander as the Sound Monitor has a Japanese tuner. I choose Electronics Development. Great reviews and they make the for auto makers.

However I have never l liked the grounding through the antenna idea. This is a powered unit as well. I feel like that can add feedback to my HU. So I opened her up.

Not sure if gut shots matter

I decided to solder in a longer power wire as well.

If you look you can see the metal case can contact and possibly damage the wires so I added some hockey tape and put it back together.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I think I'd have 12 of them made, you know you're gonna break more of them.
They are not fragile. I just didn't realize they could come off the track. I thought I was forcing the extra thickness of my upholstery and gave her quite the shove. SMH.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Some of the wiring was a mess still so I cleaned things up.

I put it to the front of the driver's seat. That cavity is naturally there under the carpet. I used some SDS Velcro to secure the Bluetooth adapter, 12v to USB stepdown, and the FuzeblocK's distribution. When I put the new carpet it I'll build a nice box in there. For now the weighted down flap will keep things from rolling on there.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
The dash area as well. You can see the band expander tucked on the side before I modified it. Notice the short power wire. The Muse dac is tucked on the other side

All organized

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
They are not fragile. I just didn't realize they could come off the track. I thought I was forcing the extra thickness of my upholstery and gave her quite the shove. SMH.
Oops! I was suggesting compensating for Murphy's Law, it seems Murphy had nothing to do with it.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Got the new tires and rims on. They were supposed to be more low profile. Oh well. Next time.

Refreshed head unit is back in. Stole my son's bt speaker for temporary music.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Foamed up the back glass with high density spray foam. Trying to build up back for vinyl, stop rattles, and a final blocking off of the trunk.

Put some conduit in as pass-through's. Used some carpet protection plastic on the glass

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I have the Bluetooth, Muse, and HDMI input all running digital coax in to the HU. I figured I'd let the stereo do what it was designed for. Convert digital signals into beautiful music. However it only has 2 digital inputs and one is dedicated to the disc changer. I needed a switcher. It was surprisingly difficult to find. I ended up having a guy make it through Tindie. It was perfect.
It has priority auto switching, 4 coax + 4 toslink + 1 rca inputs. It has a toslink and coax output, led indicators (which can be switched off) powered via 5v, and a nice case.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
I am currently working on fiberglassing the tablet holder in along with the wireless charging pad.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I also had all the amps refurbished something like 300+ caps were replaced. Plus like 20 other things. I haven't even unpacked them yet.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Is that a Minidsp 8x12 remote integrated with the factory stereo circuit board?

IMG_20200430_210239431.jpg

LEDs in the factory board as well.

IMG_20200430_210316520.jpg

The radio buttons will now control the DSP. They can also still control the FM radio and CD player (just in case). I am also adding Aptx Bluetooth and a USB port that will also be controlled by the radio via grom interface.

I absolutely love looking at the Sound Monitor 500 combo it's just to old to get don't what I need to without adding potential problems. This radio is just as old but there is more support in the sense of integration opposed to add-ons that just add links in the chain to break.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
There DSP main volume and mute control was relocated from the main board. The factory radio's volume knob had a push function as well. It's a very quick power down function so no need to be redundant. I also added a Bluetooth mic to the dash bezel. Set the Minidsp knob away from passengers fiddling hands.

IMG_20200509_172623650.jpg

First time working with data/phone cables. I never realized how easy it was. I the connectors as quick releases. Used the factory switch blank.

IMG_20200509_171821130.jpg

Soldered RJ12 6p6c cable in.

IMG_20200507_191348578.jpg

IMG_20200507_175429316.jpg

IMG_20200507_194407884.jpg

Reactions: dgage

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Re-made the factory speaker wire harness to go directly in to the Minidsp high level. Eliminated everything but speakers and turn on. It had everything for the amps, speakers, and subwoofer. I left the extra pins for now just in case I read the fsm wiring diagram wrong. I won't be able to test it with the DSP for a while.

IMG_20200509_171722548.jpg

Reactions: dgage

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I bought some of those install bay/metra silicone speaker protectors. The NVX version got a lot of press on here lately.

IMG_20200509_174255213.jpg

IMG_20200509_174314015.jpg

IMG_20200509_174310266.jpg

And found something awful.

IMG_20200509_175006278.jpg

The white end of the black wire is corrosion. I started nipping the end. Went back about 10" and still found corrosion. It's all the way through, like wires crumble to nothing. So I'll be doing all the speaker wires again. F&$k Audiopipe wires!

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
This a picture of beautiful mess. I started ripping everything out to replace those corroded speaker wires. I was thinking that when I tested the harness I made for high level to DSP the voltage didn't change with the volume knob. I started to get worried that the hu used some sort of data wire to control the volume. So I hooked stuff up real quick. Those levels on the 4 input tabs are beautiful. Fade, balance, and volume all work. Most importantly the 8x12 works after all the fiddling with the remote.
IMG_20200523_084553290.jpg

The most important part of this pic is that the cars in the garage. That means stuff is happening again.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts