DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've grown older I've decided I needed to pair down a bit, sell off some of my toys and get myself a nice grown up adult car.... I'm a brand whore through and through and I've had almost exclusively 3 series BMW's. Couple M3's, a 740iL (exwife kept) I sold everything but my 500hp 91 318iS racecar and bought this projects chassis at Copart auto auctions for $2100.

Its a 2001 525i 5spd, 150k miles, did I mention $2100? :D It was a theft recovery, but all the thieves took was the stock radio, display, amplifier, and cd changer. :laugh: hahahaha SUCKERS. All they did is save me work :cool: They were considerate removing the stock hardware, and did no collateral damage in the process.

Anyways I've been collecting bits of the new system for several months now, and after picking up the car a 3 weeks ago I decided to start filling in the missing pieces and purchase the last of the parts I needed to put a really sweet system in the newly acquired E39.

The system consists of the following:

Headunit: MX406
Aux Source: iPhone4 /w FLAC's
Amplifiers: MCC404M - MCC301M
Components: HAT L6SE, L3SE, L1PROR2
Subwoofer: JBL W15GTi MKII.

The stock "premium" sound system "subwoofers" are hung from the underside of the rear parcel shelf. They are a pair of 5.25" 8ohm drivers in a plastic bandpass box. While the engineering is impressive the sound is anything but...

Stock lolwoofers pictured on top of their replacement, housed in a 4 cubic foot box port tuned to 28hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I measured the box and the trunk opening no less than 50 times. The box is made to the exact dimensions of the trunk opening, plus 3/8" :D Even with the plastic, carpet covers, and the trunk gasket removed it was still a heave ho judo punch fest to cram the box through the opening. If someone can get it back out in an expedient fashion they can have it :p

After the box was in I removed the rear seat and parcel tray to seal the dual top firing ports to the underside of the tray, remove the stock rear speakers, and adjust the fit at the skipass for the big JBL muscle.

After I was happy with that I lag bolted the box through the rear seat firewall metal and replaced the parcel tray and seat.

Moving back to the trunk I made the flat base to serve as an amp rack. A few measurements and I decided on the best spot of the amps. In hind sight I should have spaced them slightly further apart because the RCA's are a biotch to get in & on but oh well. Amp held down with tnuts and stainless steel antitamper bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the amps loosely installed I moved back up front to tear apart my dash and run the RCA's, remote wire, power guard wire, and find a place to stash the MX406's DC-DC power supply box. There isn't much room to be had for the power supply, but I found there is actually about 1.75" of wasted space directly above the headunit and below the center AC duct. It also puts it in a rather hard to remove place, so many bolts holding crap in the way you would have to really want it.

My wire came in from Knu a couple days prior so I ran the power and ground leads to the amps. The runs are all intentionally long so that I can lift the amp rack up and set the front lip on the sub box, and the sides rest on the rear trunk hump... giving me ample space to negotiate the removal of the spare should the need arise.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really only get to work on the car weekends, and I spend most weekends doing sidework on other peoples car... a persistent but necessary annoyance I'm sure many others here understand all too well. I always want the extra scratch, but I also want some time to work on my own stuff!

That said I got one day this past weekend, yesterday to start on the beauty panels to go around the trunk. Unfortunately I ran out of time and did not get the carpeted panel that goes immediately over the amps to hide / protect them done.

The rear upright cover panel is also obviously yet to be done. I'm not entirely sure how I want to make that one fit yet so I'm saving it waiting for an epiphany.

This is the first time I've made any panels like this, I think they turned out reasonably well. Carpet is from Tom @ 12vElectronics, who is BTW a really great guy :D

Couple pictures of the car as purchased for kicks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sorry to be critical (in truth I'm trying hard), but the 404 just doesn't look quite.... Right. I would suggest that a preferred option for you would be to pull it and promty package it up for shipment to me. As for putting all this effort into a BMW, well, it's just not worth it. Any brand but that.

Oh ********! I'm down to 4 bimmers in my stable, and have always loved the manual 5 series. A buddy regularly clocked 35mpg in his, riding in splendid comfort all the while. And the rest of your gear is right in line with what I aspire toward. Basically smartass way to subscribe ;)

Looking forward to a great build.
Best,
D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the lack of updates, progress has been slow between having to send out the MX406 for electrical repairs, constant rain, and being sick.

I've picked up another amp, a MCC302 to power the L6SE. The MCC404M will power the L3SE and the L1ProR2's. I'm looking to pick up a Zapco DSP6-SL next week from a friend to fulfill the DSP, Time Alignment, and precise crossover needs.

While I've been inside hacking up a lung I finally got around to making the system layout diagram. I always love making these, one of my favorite parts of the build if I'm to be honest.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Love the install, any pics of the 318 handy?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
Is the MX-406 the radio the Ford GT radio is based on? Did you use the "real" Macintosh or a Ford one? How are you getting the aux source into the system?

Jay
The Ford GT McIntosh is an MX406 with only 1 set of RCA outs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts