DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got an 01 Cherokee, and for audio equipment I have Polk MM 6501s in the front on a Soundstream REF4.760, crappy speakers in the back since they don't really matter, and a Sundown SA-12 on a Hifonics BRZ1200.1D. My issue is midbass. I just can't seem to get a good sound out of it, and I think it has to do with either the cabin or the phase. For clarification, I'll consider ~80Hz to be midbass because that's where it is the quietest.

When midbass is playing, I don't really hear much of it from the driver's position (mostly just the speakers and only a bit), but if I slouch, lean forward, or lean into the back of the Jeep, the midbass from the sub become very prominent, as it should be. Additionally, opening any of the four doors or the hatch makes the midbass from the sub sound much better (however, opening the windows does nothing to improve it). So I've narrowed this issue down to two things: standing waves in the cabin, or phase. I haven't played with phase much but I changed the sub from 0 through 180 and it didn't seem to help too much. However, testing was done with the hatch open so that could be part of it.

Basically, what should I do to improve midbass? I'm thinking deadening in the doors could help but the fact that most of the missing midbass is from the sub leads me to believe that deadening wouldn't help.

·
Registered
982 Posts
you may have a hard time getting replies to your question because that topic has been beaten to death here,just do a search of all the forums here and believe me you will find what you are looking for,not trying to be a dick but i think the general consensus is that there are way too many topics on this subject already here

·
Registered
572 Posts
The first thing you should do, is turn off the sub, then sit in your driver seat, and turn the balance all the way to the left or right. Does the bass come back? If so, your mids are out of phase.

Where is your sub located? Can you provide a picture?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing you should do, is turn off the sub, then sit in your driver seat, and turn the balance all the way to the left or right. Does the bass come back? If so, your mids are out of phase.

Where is your sub located? Can you provide a picture?
My sub is in the trunk like this.

When I fade out the front speakers, the midbass comes back. And when I reverse polarity of the sub or speakers, nothing changes. I believe this is due to the fact that the rear speakers have the rear sealed off from the front, but the front speakers don't, as there is a giant hole in the door behind the door panel. I'm going to be buying some deadener which should fix the problem, I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you don't have friends that sit in the back you could always bridge your amp and run your fronts with more juice. or switch out the rear door speakers with a nice mid bass driver with no coilax.

I know a lot of people say the back doors don't matter but since I am so tall, the position of my door speakers and how far I sit back my rear speakers are also very important in my set up.

Also since your sub is firing up and ported to back I would dynamat the roof and rear lift door before the doors so when it pounds the energy isn't lost in the sheet metal and reverbs up front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't have friends that sit in the back you could always bridge your amp and run your fronts with more juice. or switch out the rear door speakers with a nice mid bass driver with no coilax.

I know a lot of people say the back doors don't matter but since I am so tall, the position of my door speakers and how far I sit back my rear speakers are also very important in my set up.

Also since your sub is firing up and ported to back I would dynamat the roof and rear lift door before the doors so when it pounds the energy isn't lost in the sheet metal and reverbs up front.
I've got Polk MM6501s in the front on an amp and the rears on the head unit (speakers are crap Pioneers). The front doors have big holes and nothing blocking them so I can see the back of the speaker if the door is off. What I believe is happening is the front and rear waves are canceling, so if I put deadener there it should prevent that. I hope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts