DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Five Star Car Stereo yesterday to have a Pioneer DMH-2660NEX head unit and Pioneer GM D1004 (tiny "brick" amp) installed. We just have the stock front speakers and subwoofer running. After much tweaking of the levels, time alignment and EQ, I've got the stock speakers sounding pretty good. Definitely a lot better than with the stock head unit and amp. The most impressive thing however is the stock Pioneer sub. That little thing can dig deep and has a considerable amount of punch. Of course, I'm not going to push it as I don't want to blow it.

This amp is only a temp solution until I get the rest of the equipment in and go back for the final install, running an entire active system with DSP, etc, etc. This little amp will eventually be used to power the rear door speakers for when family is in the car with me. Fun times to come... Hopefully sooner than later.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dean & Fernando FTW!, Very entertaining videos

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
And very educational. They go into detail about everything they do and why they do it.

I love watching their videos and how they seem to be like family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They're like that in person as well. Very easy and comfortable to be around and talk to.

Reactions: menyfish

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I’m a fan but so much you can cover in a video.I’ve passed their shop on the way to beaches ,literally a small store front with one bay to work out of.One can literally pass it if you’re not paying attention.
The HU replacement looks nice,good job 5 Stars!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m a fan but so much you can cover in a video.I’ve passed their shop on the way to beaches ,literally a small store front with one bay to work out of.One can literally pass it if you’re not paying attention.
The HU replacement looks nice,good job 5 Stars!
It IS a small store for sure, but they know their stuff. Their installs are great... Clean, simple and all business.

As a side note, over the past few days, I've been tweaking levels, time alignment, crossover points and EQ, and am quite impressed how good these 19 year old "Toyota/Lexus" speakers sound. I actually have a pretty convincing high sound stage with a solid center image, blended fairly smoothly with the sub. And speaking of the sub, you can't tell that the sub is in the rear deck. It sounds as if it's up front. And the bass is surprisingly deep and tight. If you didn't know any better, you would think that these were aftermarket speakers. It's amazing what a decent head unit and amplification can do for cheap OEM speakers.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I hear you,honestly car makers are putting in all this tech stuff into our cars but they don’t put in enough effort into the sound system design .One can say they’re doing the aftermarket business a favor in a sense but I personally miss the days when one can swap out a HU and build from that.
My current vehicle I wouldn’t know where to start,I did swap out the POS factory speakers and added sounddeadening plus FAST rings which made a world of difference.
It did cross my mind to contact 5 Stars for a sub install but life got in the way. 😩

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bit of an update...

After much consideration and research, I decided to go with a single Dayton Audio UM8-22 Ultimax 8" sub. And to my surprise, Parts Express just put this driver up for sale today, for only $99.

I know when I first got into the system planning for this car, I was dead-set on doing a pair of 12's or 15's IB, but after hearing this old, stock 8" sub in the rear deck with a decent head unit and amp on it, it sounds shockingly good, provides plenty of punch, digs quite deep, plays loud enough to keep up with the stock fronts, and is fairly detailed considering. If this stock (again, 19 year old sub at that) can perform like this with 90 watts available to it, then the Ultimax 8 is definitely going to be a LOT better, especially when it gets a bit more power, somewhere in the 250-500 watt range.

Secondly, since I have been running this new head unit and little amp, the front door speakers have been seeing a bit more low end frequencies and volume, and just overall a lot more use (almost never played the stock system before since pretty much all the music on FM sucks these days and my Bluetooth cassette adapter sounds like pooh). Not that I'm pushing them hard or anything, but they are simply showing their age. The last time I was behind the door cards, I noticed that the drivers were still in good shape, but the surrounds felt a little dry and I could see some very fine hairline surface cracks in the foam. From the slight noises they are now making leads me to believe that old dry foam is finally giving up the ghost. Not surprised actually.

So with that said, I have decided to go with a pair of Hertz Mille Pro 165.3 components for up front. Five Star carries them, so I'll purchase them right from them instead of online. I just called Five Star and they will give me a great deal on them. And yes, I know there's a BNIB pair of sale in the classifieds, but Five Star is giving me such a great deal, so no point on buying this set on the forum.

As I'm building this system a little bit at a time, I'm going to continue using this little Pioneer GM D1004 amp for a bit. When I go in to get the Hertz and Dayton installed, I think I'm going to have them install the Helix DSP.2 as well. Dean asked if I wanted the DSP installed when they installed the head unit and amp, but I passed since that would have been pushing them past their schedule and I didn't want them running late for the next customer. As it was, they ended up having to install that amp that neither of us had planned on.

It will be interesting to see how good the system will sound with all of that new gear installed along with the DSP with just that little budget GM D1004 amp powering it all. 45 watts x 2 + 90 watts bridged for the current sub as well as when the Dayton is installed. I know 90 watts isn't much, especially for that sub, but I don't play the system loud anyway, so it'll be fine for a while until I decide on an amp. That's one of the nice things about having a large, already well damped, insulated vehicle from the factory. It allows for a small amount of amplifier power to go a long way.

Anywho, that's about it for right now. Oh, and after demoing the current setup for all three of my brothers, they're all highly impressed with the sound. Two of them honestly believed that I had already replaced all of the drivers in the car, until of course they heard that front left driver start making its ugly noises. LOL

And just for fun, a couple of pics...

·
Listener of Music
3,275 Posts
I love your car. I bought my 2000 Maxima off the lot. I was torn between that and your car. In the end I chose the Max because of the lower maintenance. 20 years later I still have a Maxima and still want your 430!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love your car. I bought my 2000 Maxima off the lot. I was torn between that and your car. In the end I chose the Max because of the lower maintenance. 20 years later I still have a Maxima and still want your 430!
I think you might mean lower maintenance "costs". As far as regular maintenance, there isn't any really other than throwing oil and gas into it. Timing belt and water pump every 100k and that's pretty much it. But what's really great about the LS430 is the amount of room and quietness.

·
Listener of Music
3,275 Posts
Cost is correct. Obviously 20 years later we know the both ended amazingly reliable. I just took a guess. I didn't change a part on mine for a 150k +. Except for an alternator of course!

Well keep me updated. I don't care about the rest of the forum.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update...

So I was planning on buying the Hertz Mille components, but with the lack of information on them and/or reviews of them, and the few personal reviews on different forums that I stumbled across, there was just something putting a bad taste in my mouth about them. So I continued my search, and came across a FS ad here in the classifieds section for a mint pair of Morel TiW 634Nd 6" drivers for an extremely great price. No way I could pass up that deal on these drivers. Considering the route I'm wanting to go with this system, stealthy SQ install on the cheap, these fit the bill perfectly. Just because I have a budget and don't want to spend loads on this system doesn't mean I have to settle for bottom of the barrel quality components.

I feel these drivers are going to step up the level of this system considerably once I get everything installed and dialed in. Fun times to come!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And another quick update...

Just purchased a pair of brand new Audison Prima AP1 tweeters.

All that's left to find now is a good 5-channel amp. The search goes on.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moving right along... Just purchased a mint Rockford Fosgate Power T400X4ad posted in the classified only a few hours ago.

Honestly, this is the way I really wanted to go, having a dedicated amp JUST for the front stage, and that's exactly what this amp will be for.

Now all I need is the matching Power T750X1bd, then just get it all installed by Five Star.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, almost everything arrived today... Two packages from UPS, one from FedEx, and the one from USPS? Well, as is typical, USPS fails to deliver on time like they are supposed to. That particular package is coming from Illinois, yet it's sitting nearly 100 miles south of me in Sarasota, FL. How or why it went right past my town, who knows.

Anywho...

And my Helix thrown in for good measure.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The new Audison AP1 tweeters showed up yesterday in the mail. So today...

I just went out and popped the grills off of the stock tweeters in the dash. The way these grills are designed and shaped, it looks like the metal mesh can easily be removed from the plastic portion of the grills, these little Audison tweeters dropped right in and tacked into place INSIDE the grills, then the mess put back in place, all while keeping the stock tweeters untouched in the dash below the grills. If need be the Audison grills can easily be removed as well to make even more room inside the stock tweeter grills.

There's plenty of room around the stock tweeters inside the dash to pass the speaker wires through to the new tweeters. So in other words, the stock tweeter grills will become a complete, functional Audison tweeter! Pretty darn excited about that!

And a few more beauty shots of all of the equipment so far...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty interested in this. I have an 06 Lexus LS430 and finding build threads for them has been difficult to say the least. Following along to see how this goes.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know what you mean. There's nearly zero information on this car. The only stuff you find is people throwing cheap 2-ways in the doors and either a cheap 8" in the rear deck on stock power or throwing a massive box in the trunk for nothing more but noise.

Very disappointing for sure...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts