DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My ls430. 2*15 IB subs sound perfect. Maximum deadening of the doors. At the moment I'm building sails for some badass fullranges.

Where do you plan to install your sub?

View attachment 270780
I totally forgot about your build. Looking good! Do you more pics in your build thread? If so, I'll have to go check it out.

As far as my sub, it's just going in the stock location in the rear deck. If I have the need for more (probably will), I'll do something like what you've done with a pair of 12s or 15s. I'll be getting a big enough sub amp to power pretty much anything I want.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Looking forward to how this install turns out!

Reactions: SQ_Blaze

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think you might mean lower maintenance "costs". As far as regular maintenance, there isn't any really other than throwing oil and gas into it. Timing belt and water pump every 100k and that's pretty much it. But what's really great about the LS430 is the amount of room and quietness.
Having Timing belt and water pump is a $1000 job. Not worth it for a 20 year old car. That's why so many people dump them as they get close to service.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
To me paying $1K and not having a car payment is viable. Again that’s just my feeling. I don’t have a problem driving anything older as long as what’s in it is what I want. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
To me paying $1K and not having a car payment is viable. Again that’s just my feeling. I don’t have a problem driving anything older as long as what’s in it is what I want. :)

Who thinks paying 1/4th or 1/5th a vehicle's market worth in repair is a good idea? Main reason I didn't bother with a pre 2007 Toyota/Lexus.

·
Registered
562 Posts
$1k repair that can last another 100k miles sounds worth it to me when there is no car payment.

·
Listener of Music
3,275 Posts
Who thinks paying 1/4th or 1/5th a vehicle's market worth in repair is a good idea?
Me

I actually figured it out a little bit ago. We have about 1 million miles on 5 vehicles over 12 years. 500+ on two work trucks which make me money. I have less than 50k in total cost for all 5 including purchase price and maintinence. No monthly payments.

So yeah keep that old Lexus so you have extra money for stereo upgrades!

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I also THINK it’s a good idea which is why I stated I would have no problem with it. Now if you and one else has a problem with this gent doing what he wants with his vehicle, well I don’t know what to tell you. :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Having Timing belt and water pump is a $1000 job. Not worth it for a 20 year old car. That's why so many people dump them as they get close to service.
Oh yeah? Tell that to all of the people who have owned these cars and the original LS400's since new!

First of all, you obviously have ZERO clue as to what you're talking about.

True, IF you go to a Toyota/Lexus dealer, you'll being paying every bit of a thousand bucks for this work, but luckily, I have a one man run speed shop that I have been going to for several years now (he was a master mechanic for Honda for over 25 years) and I can get this entire job done for less than $600. And where you're totally wrong, no one, and I mean NO ONE "dumps" these cars when they get close to their scheduled maintenance service. From bumper to bumper, these cars have nearly zero issues of any kind throughout their entire life.

Hell, people still drive and put lots of money into the original 1989 LS400's with well over 500k miles on the clock. And that money they are dumping into them is for mods, NOT repairs.

These cars don't have 300k, 500k, 800k, or even one million miles on them from being discarded after only the first 100k miles due to service costs.

So I urge you to get your so-called facts straight before coming on here blabbering a bunch of garbage about something you obviously know nothing about.

Who thinks paying 1/4th or 1/5th a vehicle's market worth in repair is a good idea? Main reason I didn't bother with a pre 2007 Toyota/Lexus.
Again, people aren't paying for "repairs" on these cars. They DON'T break, or very very rarely break.

I'm glad you think that way though. You not buying these cars reserves them for people who actually know something about them and appreciate them. It would be a total waste having one of these fine automobiles in your possession.

I hope this post paints a clear picture of what I think of you and your thought process.

Funny thing is, I'm not even in a mood. LOL

Reactions: Coppertone

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh yeah? Tell that to all of the people who have owned these cars and the original LS400's since new!

First of all, you obviously have ZERO clue as to what you're talking about.

True, IF you go to a Toyota/Lexus dealer, you'll being paying every bit of a thousand bucks for this work, but luckily, I have a one man run speed shop that I have been going to for several years now (he was a master mechanic for Honda for over 25 years) and I can get this entire job done for less than $600. And where you're totally wrong, no one, and I mean NO ONE "dumps" these cars when they get close to their scheduled maintenance service. From bumper to bumper, these cars have nearly zero issues of any kind throughout their entire life.

Hell, people still drive and put lots of money into the original 1989 LS400's with well over 500k miles on the clock. And that money they are dumping into them is for mods, NOT repairs.

These cars don't have 300k, 500k, 800k, or even one million miles on them from being discarded after only the first 100k miles due to service costs.

So I urge you to get your so-called facts straight before coming on here blabbering a bunch of garbage about something you obviously know nothing about.

Again, people aren't paying for "repairs" on these cars. They DON'T break, or very very rarely break.

I'm glad you think that way though. You not buying these cars reserves them for people who actually know something about them and appreciate them. It would be a total waste having one of these fine automobiles in your possession.

I hope this post paints a clear picture of what I think of you and your thought process.

Funny thing is, I'm not even in a mood. LOL
You come off as a smart ass. Good luck with the old money pit.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You come off as a smart ass. Good luck with the old money pit.
LOL!!! And this is coming from the guy who comes onto my thread and attempts to crap on it with a bunch of false information and has every other person disagree with you.

No, I'm not a smart ass. I just know what I'm talking about... Now please get out of my thread and stop ruining it.

·
Listener of Music
3,275 Posts
K-Pop I seriously respect your car opinions but saying it's a money pit is a statement not opinion. There are tons of studies and economics papers that show buying new opposed to fixing existing cars is nearly always a bad investment.

Now "it's not worth to me considering...." is understandable.

For me I can do any repair on a vehicle in my climate controlled garage however stuff like that it's worth it to all.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts