DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
Pioneer DEH-80PRS active Alpine 4.150 Satori TW29D Audio Development W600 Alpine 1.1000 JBL 12GTI
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a record of what's going on audio installation-wise with my WS6. The system as of now (03/09/09) consists of:
Eclipse 7200 MKII- Head-unit
Pioneer 720-PRS components- Front statge
2 FI Q 12's dual 2ohm- Subs
Memphis Belle (Big Belle) 5ch- Amp
4awg from battery back to distro block 8awg to amp. I know I know :D This will be changed in the future to 0awg & 4awg.
Tweets speaker wire- Rockford Fosgate 16awg
Mids speaker wire- Rockford Fosgate 12awg
Subs speaker wire- Monster Cable 12awg
Stinger 4ch RCA
??unknown 2ch RCA

Here is the headunit, looks good on the outside but behind the facade is a tangled mess of wires. This was all tidy'd up (forgot to take pic :( )

·
Registered
Pioneer DEH-80PRS active Alpine 4.150 Satori TW29D Audio Development W600 Alpine 1.1000 JBL 12GTI
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next will be a few shots of the box I built and the subs. I built the box with help from fourthmeal (thanks again) using the T/S parameters in WinISD to come up with the needed airspace for my sealed enclosure. I still have to carpet it but it came out pretty well. A little ruff around the edges but not bad.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up next will be some pics of the front doors before and after Dynamat and adding the 720PRS comps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thats about it for pics so far but will add more. I went active with the 720's and they sound great! Best front stage I have ever had! Those JL (not to badmouth a fine company)VR components were so blah! If I had held one in my hand and checked it out beforehand, I doubt seriously that I would have bought them. I have had beefier $50 coaxils (Jenson from back in the day and Rockford Fosgate come to mind) that would out-perform these things. I gave them to the kid doing the Dynamat install for a "tip". There was no way I was going to ask money for those things :D

I am going to custom build an amp-rack to hang on the rear wall and hide all wiring and cables to it. I am probably going to go with the Zuki Eleets 4ch and not decided on the sub amp? Waiting to see the small mono that Zuki is going to put out. I think Jason (bertholomey) is going to get one so I will check his out as he let me check out his Eleets already. That is it for now. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
I know I should have done the Dynamat myself but I did watch and obviously took pics so when I go to putting more in I will know how to handle it.

Thanks guys :)

Jman

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Horry chit! My second favorite Trans Am (the WS6, very closely behind the 78') Very good install you have going on. Nice attention to detail and good job with your research beforehand.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you :)

Yeah, the research has been a blast! I have been spending hour upon hour on here reading and reading all the while keeping a couple of tabs open to do further searching :D I am so looking forward to testing and tuning on this puppy and then moving onward and upward :) I think I have a fairly decent grasp on the crossover stuff. Next up is the Time Alignment and PEQ settings. My head unit is way smarter than I am so it has been a struggle to grasp all of it. I had TA on my old Alpine head unit but it was just a matter of entering the distance each speaker was away from the listening position. This thing here has DB settings and Time Delay settings for each speaker :confused: :D

Lots of info here so it won't be long before it becomes clearer.

Thanks again

Jman

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Very nice car! Good luck with the install

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Sweet J-man! Thanks for the props. I hope it works out perfectly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys :)

fourthmeal, I seriously doubt my box would sound half as good without your help. I have mentioned in some other posts that I had built a sealed enclosure for the DA D6 12 using DA recommended specs and it sounded horrible!! :( Using the program and the numbers you suggested (the #'s I was using came up with a considerable difference in airspace) is the difference between this being a great sounding box (which it is) and a pile of kindling :D

Thanks again guys

Jman

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for hitting this one more time today, but..... :)

I got to send a big shout out to mikey7182! He has been a tremendous help to me during this phase of my audio incarnation. I have probably Pm'd him 50 times asking questions and clarifications of some the answers. He always responds and is very patient and is able to dumb it down for me :D The fact I was able to claim a fair amount of understanding of the crossover part is all because of his help.

Thanks Mike :D

Jman

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's up one and all!! Got some work done on the Bird this week so time to share :)

New additions:

Optima yellow top battery- not my first choice but my friend that helped hook me up with the install is a dealer so I bought it to show some love :D

0awg power wire to the rear of the car then 4 awg to the amps

EFX fused power and non-fused ground distro blocks

Eclipse IPC-106 Ipod adapter

Zuki Eleets 4 channel- incredible SQ amp I picked up from dodgerblue here on DIYMA

Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1- monster mono amp I picked up from 02bluesuperroo here on DIYMA

New custom t-top well box for the 2 FI Audio Q's

New custom amp rack for the amps

I ran into a friend of mine from years back that has upwards of 25 years experience installing mobile audio and is also an F-body man (99SS). He saw my old set up and wanted to work on my car, on the condition I ditched the big ugly non-carpeted box that was in it at the time:D So i relented and went about gathering stuff to finish the job. I will start adding the pics in the next post, stay tuned :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I will start with a few pics of the battery and power wire install:

This pic is a gratuitous pic of my battery cover LOL

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
next I will show a couple of the early designs of the amp rack. He ended up changing it all up because he didn't want any of the wiring showing through the window. So, he flipped the Zuki around the other way and moved the Zuki logo so that it would be seen.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, time to start over :( :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't ya just love when a plan starts coming together!

Time to start putting the vinyl on the rack and the box.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Time for a couple of shout outs! This is my boy Clint, he put this pic on my camera cause he is always threatening to steal my American Racing Torque Thrust wheels for his SS :D

This is a pic of another friend Jon, that had to do some of the cutting cause Clint's back was acting up and was taking some pain killers and didn't want to operate any power tools (probably a good idea!) :D

Another friend Brian is the owner of the shop. We all worked together back in 05 although they have known each other longer than they have known me. Great guys each one!! Brian has sunk his savings into getting this shop off the ground and running and has a great place! It is called Wires Inc. and is located in Rocky Mount NC. They are going to be a full service shop. Mobile audio, tint, custom fabrication, leather and vinyl covering, pin-striping and graphics, and auto accessories. He has a facebook page now and will be adding myspace and a website in the near future. If anyone on here needs anything, give them a call. Like I said, Brian and the gang are all great guys to deal with and they will do right by you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All in all, I am very pleased with the way it came out. Clint is kinda anal about stuff and wants to do some more tweaking on the amp rack cover as far as fitment so we will tackle that in some spare time. For now I am more than happy with the results.

Now for the sound: OH MY GOD!! It is beyond anything I could have hoped for and blows away everything I have ever experienced in any of my automobiles. I have said before (maybe in this thread but I am not going to go back up and look) that I have been tinkering with systems since 1979 and NOTHING has ever had the clarity and presence of this set up! I will do some fine tuning at the NC meet in Statesville on the 29th, Electrodynamic (Stereo Integrity) is going to have an RTA there, but for now it is great. I set the TA on it today and the crossovers are all set, maybe some minor adjustments here and there but nothing major. The Eleets are making those 720PRS fricking scream! (bertholomey I can't to get your impressions) The PG is feeding the Q's just fine! They seem really happy :D

In a way, I think I am done for now. I really want to switch to Morel for the front stage. It is a long story but I have been wanting that for a few years now. I actually had a set of Morels (can't remember the model but they were made in England not Israel, and yes they were still Morels) for over a year and just kept them in the closet cause I thought I was happy with my ID Chameleons :( I ended up selling them on Feebay. Other than that, I am good. There is no way I could ever need more power in that cabin for the Q's, the Zuki is as good as advertised. I know people love to debate that and complain about the ratings but F**k that! It rocks!

Ok, I will shut up for now, go change my sig, and maybe update my cardomain site. Let me know what ya think guys. I am interested in your thoughts or suggestions on my set up.

Thanks to all of you that have helped me here on DIYMA also. I was so far away from where I am now when I signed up back in January 09, it seems like a lifetime ago :)

Jman

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
That looks fantastic!!!

What a difference from the first time I saw your set up and heard your set up.

Wow, from a single ported box with an FI Q that was 'boomin' to an active set up with a well balanced front stage and sub stage. Now, with a little eye candy to match! :D

It looks like those buds of yours really took care of you - I can't wait to hear it next week. Great job - You are going to be grinnin' for a while now - have fun going through all of your music again (Wow, is that how that is supposed to sound?) :)

Congrats J-Man!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts