DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
New to the forum and I wanted to get some advice on a project I am currently in the middle of. My Wife's 2002 Camaro SS coupe needed some interior work a few months back and I decided to gut the interior. That lead into installing sound deadening, I have about 150 sqr feet of “rattle trap” installed and am almost finished with that install. I wanted some recommendations on the remainder of the project please.

My goal is to have a very clear, crisp system that my wife and I can enjoy all kinds of music on during road trips. This is somewhat of a budget install for me as I want to keep it at about $2,000.00 total cost, and I am fairly familiar with stereos and have built maybe 7-10 different systems. The only problem is finding a clear responsive system on a budget, because my wife cares more about the $$$ than the sound quality... where I am the opposite.

Reciever:
This is an in dash navigation/Bluetooth/mp3 addition to the car, and I have had very good luck with Kenwood. I found some of stores that are trying to make room for new models and I am looking at the DNX6160 for about $650.00

Subwoofer and Inclosure:
I want a clean solid bass, that will be in about a .75 cubic foot stealth box. Growing up I was always impressed with the Infinity Kappa’s and JL Audio’s but I never had the money for them. I always ended up with JBL, or PIONEER, or Kenwood subs and they seemed to work great for me at the time. My thought is a reasonably priced sub that is 300W RMS and within my freq range…. I have found some, but they might be lower quality than what I want “Kenwood, and Polk”, what kind of 10" sub do you recommend for nice tight clean responsive bass?

AMPS:
I wanted to go with a dedicated Mono Amp for the Sub and a 4 channel for the other speakers in the car (not using the stock rear 4” speakers in the cargo compartment”. I have found some Rockford Fosgate Punch Amps that seem to be exactly what I want, but again, quality??? Should I just go with a 5 channel amp?

Speakers:
This is the big issue right now, I went to FRY’s the other day and listened to some different speakers, Infinity, Kicker, Polk, but all coaxial 6.5” two way speakers. For ease of installation I think I would rather go with a higher quality coaxial than mounting a component setup, but again I just want input on some good setups. I can setup the speakers like this for under $150, but you always get what you pay for, I am just not sure I would be able to tell the difference between $500 speakers and $50 speakers. I think that it has a lot to do with individual likes and dislikes, but overall there are still quality issues that I am sure you can point out to me. Should I delete the rear cargo area 4" speakers and stick with the four 6.5" units? Should I look at some components for the front doors?

I think that this stuff will always come down to what sounds good to the individual and what monetary limitations they have. I am having second thoughts about buying the standard equipment (Kenwood, Polk, Infinity etc...) from Fry’s or Crutchfield because I might have already invested too much work into the project for the quality of components that I am looking at.:confused: I still have to weigh the fact that this is for my wife and she is concerned more about $$ than quality. Let me know if you have any input, into the situation. I also included some pics of the project thus far.
Thanks
Colt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, its not allowing me to post links for the phots or the websites for the accessories I have found so I will do it the old fashioned way!

- Sub enclosure and amp rack is at Subthump.com
- 2DIN adapter is at DoubleDmods.com

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, hmmm I guess I will go it alone, did I use an incorrect format here????

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My previous car was a 1999 Camaro Z28 and I had a fairly nice system in it. Suggestions that I can give:

-Use component speakers!!! They are easily doable in your budget.

-Get tweeter pods: 1993-2002 F-Body ABS Tweeter Pods, 6LE Designs LLC - I had them from someone else, but 6LITEREATER is making them now. They are essential for good sound as the stock tweeter location is beyond retarded.

-Disconnect the useless hatch speakers. If there are normally passengers in the back seat then replace the sail panel speakers with full-range speakers, else disconnect them as a stealthbox sub will take over their job.

Note that you do not have very much depth available in the front; I couldn't really get much of a bracket to work with the door with the door panel fitting on.

For a sub, I'd go with Shop CDT Audio - QES-1020 or a Boston G3, probably.

For speakers, well, I've been liking Rainbow, but it's a pretty subjective area, so I try not to recommend component speaker sets too often.

-Use Second Skin Luxury Liner on the floorboards and road noise through the floor will disappear. My Camaro had less of it after LL than any other car I've been in (though it still had tons of window noise)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My previous car was a 1999 Camaro Z28 and I had a fairly nice system in it. Suggestions that I can give:

-Use component speakers!!! They are easily doable in your budget.

-Get tweeter pods: 1993-2002 F-Body ABS Tweeter Pods, 6LE Designs LLC - I had them from someone else, but 6LITEREATER is making them now. They are essential for good sound as the stock tweeter location is beyond retarded.

-Disconnect the useless hatch speakers. If there are normally passengers in the back seat then replace the sail panel speakers with full-range speakers, else disconnect them as a stealthbox sub will take over their job.

Note that you do not have very much depth available in the front; I couldn't really get much of a bracket to work with the door with the door panel fitting on.

For a sub, I'd go with Shop CDT Audio - QES-1020 or a Boston G3, probably.

For speakers, well, I've been liking Rainbow, but it's a pretty subjective area, so I try not to recommend component speaker sets too often.

-Use Second Skin Luxury Liner on the floorboards and road noise through the floor will disappear. My Camaro had less of it after LL than any other car I've been in (though it still had tons of window noise)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Here's a build page for a 1998 Firebird. This isn't the ideal choice of a head unit, I would have skipped the equalizer, and I would have loved to do sound dampening, but the customer got what he wanted. The speakers all fit in stock locations except the UpStage tweeters, which are invisible from outside the car.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Using the stock tweeter location is super fail. Treble is easily blocked by any and all body parts in between the tweeter and your ear. I would not trust any installer that would be willing to install a tweeter in that fashion. It's kind of a pet peeve. It's easy to block the tweeter with your own knee, and if you have a passenger, they will be blocking that tweet from you... no matter what.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts