21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,355 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Your instantly awesome based solely on your garage.
I don't want to lose this status... but it's a friend's garage.
My garage is a work in progress, but I do have a 5ft wide banner with a picture of my old audi on it, and about 20 license plates on the wall.

His garage is sweet though, it is a 3 bay barn, with a lift in the center. In his previous life he was a Toyota mechanic, so his tool selection is great. I drive about 30 minutes just to make use of it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yay for you! Though I missed the s4 part, I do remember the subie. Good luck on your build and keep us posted.
The S4 was before the Subaru. I count it as my last "real" car.

I got one pocket for the dash, and made a quick and dirty blank panel for the other opening. Here's a pic!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
almost need the denon gauges for in there too. That does look sharp though!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have a non working bose amp on its way to me, I will be gutting it and using as a housing for my miniDSP.

I think these JBL amps are too big to put in the frunk.

I'll lose over 3" of depth, and I don't think I want to sacrifice it. Meanwhile pictures like this make me want to go to a single PDX or JL HD.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Zapco has a very nice Class D five channel available also.

There is also the Soundstream Tarantula Nano and PPI P900.5 if you want to keep costs down.

Nothing wrong with a Class D five channel at all. I'm running a Class D six channel and mono for the first time, and have no regrets so far.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I think you'll be happy with the PDX, PDR, HD or XD. I do like class AB sound, but modern class D sounds pretty damn good. I'd also check out the Biketronics as well. Hit up Architect7 for more details about high pass filter. They're based off of very hi end hypex class d modules.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I started taking apart the stock amp, and laying out the MiniDSP. I have my wiring diagrams done, basically.

It doesn't look like I'll be able to fit 9 banana connectors, 4 RCAs and the USB port on the side of the amp like I had imagined, but I have the whole 'face' of the amp to mount terminals.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Progressed a bunch this weekend.
Murdered the Bose plug:

Soldered on my wires:

Put in some 10mm stands and wired the DSP. (I fixed the reverse wired RCAs from my last install)

So now I'm ready to connect an amp or two. I'll put one of my JBL in tomorrow to test.

The store I went to didnt have a USB header, so I just used a cable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I threw one of my JBLs into the trunk and wired it up, then did some preliminary xovers and levels. I'm much happier than with the OEM amp. The stock [drivers] have obvious limitations.

Phase 2 will be choosing and installing an amplifier.

I'm not going to post a pic of the temporary amp, as it is velcroed to the floor and wires are everywhere.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hardtop is on till the spring;

Still kind of looking for an amp. Gave some thought to those Sure boards, but I don't really want the headaches. Waiting on the right deal for a PDX 4.100 or 4.150, or F4 at a super discount.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts