DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer:This build is being cross posted on SoundDomain, DIYMA, ICIX, CarAudioEnthusiast, Second Skin, Zapco, DAA, and possibly a few other sites.

Ok after joing Team SoundDomain and Team Zapco last year and having way too much fun, I decided it was time to get a new vehicle that hadn't been destroyed beforehand to build for the 2009 season. The goal is/was that there would be no comprimises for this car. I want what I want, and I don't care where that lands me. (although I am admittedly trying to keep a street level install for security reasons; see Forbes magazine, Re Most Dangereous Cities).

The plan was to start the car in Feb. but as life often does, a curveball was introduced, and I had to wait until after the birth of our second daughter to start.

With that I took on an ambitious undertaking. I made a little wager with Andy Jones, and now I had essentially 2 weeks to build a competition car from scratch. Mind you this is complicated by the fact that I help run the busiest car audio shop in Memphis, if not Tennessee. So obvioulsy my free time to build is severely limited.

Any way here is the list of equipment being shoved into this car:

Rockford RFX-8250 Team SoundDomain Edition
Zapco DC Ref 350.2
Zapco DC Ref 360.4
Zapco DC Ref 500.1
Hertz Mille ML280
MB Quart QM100mx2
Hertz Mille ML165
Incriminator Audio Flatlyne 12's (x2)
Memphis Power Cable
Zapco Symbilink
Kinetik Powercells
Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Luxury Liner Pro, and OverKill Pro
Alpine EX-10 Ipod and Bluetooth
Terk XM Commander
Jamo Speaker wire
and an assortment of foam

With that info at hand the first week of the build is complete. Mind you have a long way to go to have the car done and ready to compete by sunday may 3. But I can't let Andy win . . . .

on to the build:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First things first:
Sound Deadening

I have used various different products over the years and had mixed results with each. After playing with a few cars using Second Skin Products, I decided to give Ant a call and see for myself. Of course the customer service was great, Ant made the whole transaction easy. So that was a reassuring before ever laying a finger on the product. After ordering a multitude of Damplifier pro, Luxury liner Pro and Overkill pro, it was time to get to work stripping the car:

Bye Bye door panels, interior and dash:

I had to keep the radio semi functional so I wouldn't be riding in silence:

So after a severely disgruntled UPS employee visited the house I was under way:

First was 2 layers of Damplifier Pro on the outer door skin:

followed by a nice layer of egg crate mmemory foam:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then came the baffles for the midbass and new speaker wire:

Then 2 more layers of Damplifier Pro on the inner door skin followed by mounting the midbass:

Next up was the door panels. A layer of Damp. Pro and then Over kill pro ought to suffice:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next up were the floor boards:

then came the Luxury liner pro (yes when I initially put it in it was upside down. That has since been pointed out to me and corrected, but not pictured)

With the doors completed, and the preliminary cabin treatments done (the trunk and rear deck are going to be done later since i am working front to back on the car), it was time to turn my attention to the dash enclosures.

First I would like to add my thoughts on the Second Skin Products I have used. I couldn't be more pleased with how well they work. I have knocked on concrete slabs that have more resonance than my doors have now. Also while I haven't returned the stock carpet there is almost no road noise in the vehicle. Second Skin has a helluva product line here and I would fully endorse them to anyone that asks and even to those that don't(and I already have to a few people locally).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next up was the dash:

Mind you the Camry comes with 2.5" speakers in the dash, some coaxing had to be done to fit the 4: in there. I could have saved the trouble and just cropped a 3" in there but in asking around, there was just too much trepidation from those I asked in regards to the overall volume and tunabilty I wanted from a 3" speaker. So 4" mids here we come:

First I had to reshape the ducting on the dash to allow for the necessary depth. Again, I didn't cut anything so as to try and maintain a Street level install:

next came the baffle: I didn't take nearly as many pictures as i thought so I just have to explain this part. I used 1/8" macinte as a base for the baffle, secuing it to the dash, and then layering it with a Damplifier Pro. Since I had to mount the speaker to the back side of this baffle (as to keep from cutting the dash) I then used another lavey of Damplifier pro around the mounted speaker (Sorry Andy) to ensure complete seperation of front and rear waves. I then followed it up with a damplifier pro covered xtc 4" baffle moderately packed with polyfill.

and a rough picture of the top view of the speaker (thise was before I had finished the enclosure and although the picture doesn't show it there is ample room for excursion)

Before returning the dash to car I ran my signal wires:
On the drivers side are 3 pairs of speaker wire running up the A-pillar and through the headliner, and on the passenger side there are 3 more pairs of speaker wire as well as 2 symbilink cables, and a USB cable for the DSP's build into the amps:

and finally the dash being returned to it's home:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
looking good bro!

all the SS in the world won't help you though...I got some too ;)

seriously, nice work. You anchor those speaker wires to the speaker? It'd suck if the window shorted it out or something...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Looks great!

What was the reasoning for using memory egg crate foam in the doors? Is this open or closed cell foam (ie are you worried about water accumulation)? How much of each second skin product are you stuffing in there?

Thanks for the thread, I hope everything continues to go well (minus the LL Pro mishap)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It looks like open cell foam to me. I wouldn't worry so much about rust as mildew and mold. It's gonna get pretty stinky in there.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Yep, memory foam is open-cell...that's how it works. Billions of air pockets.

OP, I'd highly recommend rethinking that material in the door if you are going to ever wash this car or have it get rained on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, memory foam is open-cell...that's how it works. Billions of air pockets.

OP, I'd highly recommend rethinking that material in the door if you are going to ever wash this car or have it get rained on.

I've done that in a few cars now and never once had an issue. besides there are safegaurds in place to keep from the stink taking place. . .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So today was a busy day, and yet seemingly worthless at the same time. I got a lot of the wiring done, but almost no pictures yet as none of it is finalized. I also stripped the rear of the car to prep it to do the deadening, amp rack and IB baffle. I will add that the 2003 Camry should be about the easiest car of all time to do an IB setup in.

So since there is little in the way of new pictures for today, lets do a little recap on the source units.

First up is the Rockford Fosgate RFX 8250. Thanks to Ben Vollmer I got in touch with a company in ATL that was able to silkscreen the face of the radio which allowed me to remove the unwanted RF logo and replace it with the team sounddomain logo.

From there I took a standard single dash kit and molded in a trim ring so that the radio could sit flush, and then I removed all the seams and made the kit into one piece and primed and prepped for paint.

the kit will be painted to math the rest of the dash.

Up next was finding a suitable home for the EX-10 Ipod piece. This thing is really ugly right out of the box so of course I have to chop it up. I got rid of the original mounts and molded the whole display into the lower dash, and then painted the piece to match.

And if anyone is familiar with this piece you know the anechoic mic is anything but anechoic. the best solution I found was to flush it into the headliner right in front of the maplights. It seems to help a little, but to be honest I have such litle use for handsfree calling that I rarely ever use it.

and finally I took a few better pictures of the signal wiring running up the A-pillar

and incase anyone is wondering why there isn't more done, here is why: we had to shove 12 tv's into a porsche cayenne last week:

(yes i know the head rest colors don't match, but the customer didn't have the time to allow us to get a custom matched dye to dye the headrests)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts