DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon gents! I have a 2003 Reg Cab Ford Ranger that I have decided I would like to turn into an SQ oriented vehicle. My other vehicle is a 2003 Ford Mustang convertible and there is no way I am focusing on making that an SQ vehicle. The Ranger is unbelievably quiet with minimal deadening in it as of now.

I currently am running the following equipment -
Kenwood BT948HD
eDi 6500 comp set (tweeter in sailpanel, woofer in stock door location at knee height)
Orion 265XP
eD 16Ov.2 ported tuned to about 28.
DD M.80

It sounds quite nice but know that it is no where NEAR a revealing setup.

This will be my first attempt at an SQ install. I have done quite a bit of reading and am now turning to the equipment-choosing phase. I have one thing definitely decided, another is an idea, but the rest is pretty much up in the air.

Thoughts -
Tweeter - Morel ET-338 in A-pillar across windshield
Midwoofer - unsure on equipment (maybe a 4" of sorts) but thinking I would like it in the kick panel. After reading a bit it seems like this would be a nice position for it due to the positioning in the truck.
Woofer - unsure on equipment (maybe an 8" of sorts) but thinking I would like it in the lower door panel, or maybe even a custom center console if I can squeeze out enough airspace.
Amplifiers - no clue right now.
Subwoofer - eD 13Av.2 sealed

If anyone has any experience with the Ranger please chime in and let me know what you thought was good, what you thought was bad, and give me your opinion on where you think I should head.

Thanks so much fellas and hoping to learn a lot along the way. :scholar:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Comp. set in kick-panels best bet for SQ in this truck. Q-Forms work nice if reinforced or custom. Mid-bass in well deadened door but only add second tweeter on a L-pad in sail or a-pillar if more stage height is needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Comp. set in kick-panels best bet for SQ in this truck. Q-Forms work nice if reinforced or custom. Mid-bass in well deadened door but only add second tweeter on a L-pad in sail or a-pillar if more stage height is needed.
asota, can you give me just a few details as to why that would be the best bet? Thanks!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a ranger tried many things never really sounded very good till I put the comps in the kicks. Still has some draw-backs mid-bass in floor and nothing in doors may be better yet will let you know in the Spring. As for a amp you could go with the new PPI Phantom 5-channel or a JL 900 if you have a lot of cash. You will need the small imprint in that standard cab.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. I probably won't get around to starting anything until February myself.

After some more looking around I think I have decided on a woofer, the SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8.

I'm going to run everything straight back from the kicks for the first trial. Objections? :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts