DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

221 - 240 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
re: 2003 Volkswagen GTi 1.8t - Mosconi, Vifa, Exodus, Helix PDSP, IDMax, carPC *updated*

hahaha. i dont really has friends with that stuff in close driving. plus i need to do the stuff on my time, not theirs. so i know its a bit extra work - but the results will be the same, and ill have more room in there since the glass is much thinner than the wood will be - so basically ill have more room for the deadening of the pod lol :)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
re: 2003 Volkswagen GTi 1.8t - Mosconi, Vifa, Exodus, Helix PDSP, IDMax, carPC *updated*

ok so my post got deleted because my firefox4 crashed because i was playing some awesome video of a hyena eating out the ass of a dead elephant lol.

anywho - heres what i got so far. with the help of my buddy paul, and the acceptance of my wonderful wife, i did some work today. it was 80 degrees!! HOT!

trimmed fiberglass bases, sanded them, mounted the baffles, stretched the cloth, and applied the resin to them. so they fit and they are almost complete!!

unfortunately, i was unable to fit the baffles the way i wanted, so i had to just put them in the conventional way :( i only got a few pics lol - so heres what i have. they are drying in the back and its dark, so pics of them wrapped tomorrow!

more to follow!

·
Registered
325 Posts

This build is really impressive :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·

thank you for the compliment! i did some work and the pods are on the doors, but i had a really busy day helping a friend with stuff and i didnt get them glassed. i plan on doing that tomorrow and *hopefully* they will be screaming music tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

got the door pods wrapped and glassed with the help of my wife! thanks babe! all thats left is to trim the edges and mount them in the door with the speakers. then just a beauty panel to make them pretty.

and we welded the tabs on the brackets on ... the brackets lol - so i can bolt the baffle down. i was going to drill all the holes - but my drill ran out of batteries haha. so ill finish that up tomorrow. but i feel good to have gotten all the trunk carpet and plastic back in place. almost there!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·

its my wife Carly's birthday today, so no work to do today. I got her new roller blade wheels and bearings, a motorcycle jacket (as she does not have one yet), and im taking her out to a movie theatre dinner place. yesterday we went to abby road resturant on the virginia beach boulevard.

see you tomorrow when i get the IDQ's installed!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·

thanks guys! ill let her know :)

and good news, and bad news. speakers are installed finally. holes are drilled for the baffle but i need to get longer bolts.

bad news is i dont have any pictures. im going to vacuum all the debris out tomorrow as it is dark out. and ill take some pics. im exhausted, so shower + bed. being up early and on day shift is killing me lol. im not used to being up so early haha.

so ill have the stereo running by friday. im so pumped.

·
Registered
71 Posts

That car is really sweet looking dude, and you do good work too !!!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

thanks for the compliments!!

got the mids installed last night, here are some quick pics i grabbed before work.

·
Registered
114 Posts

that looks awesome!!! keep up the great work!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·

so i plugged everything in for the first time in however long i cant remember in the dark last night, and my left IDQ didnt work, turns out that the speaker lead came off the speaker while i was screwing it in.

its a stupid design anyway, there are 4-way solder\quick connect tabs on the side of the basket. but the hole cut out for the basket makes it almost impossible to use the tabs because the quick connects come out horizontal to the cone movement and interfere with the baffle, so you need to bend them way over to get the speaker to fit. i must have rotated it and pulled it out.

either way, i figured it out and everything else worked perfect.

now i just need to do EQ. level match. clean the car.

i need to fix one of the baffle bolts because my smart ass drilled one of the subwoofer baffle holes too close to the angle iron side and i cant get the bolt on there :mad:

my apartment is a mess right now. i need to be at work by 9:30am and my wife just left. i think im going back to sleep...

sigh.

oh yea. and my doors rattle like nothing else. 2 pounds of duct seal (like modeling clay) in the pods, ~10 pounds or so of deadener on the inside of the door. i have not put deadener on the door card, so i really think i need to do that. looks like ill be placing an order for some sound deadener, because these rattles are killer.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts

so i plugged everything in for the first time in however long i cant remember in the dark last night, and my left IDQ didnt work, turns out that the speaker lead came off the speaker while i was screwing it in.

its a stupid design anyway, there are 4-way solder\quick connect tabs on the side of the basket. but the hole cut out for the basket makes it almost impossible to use the tabs because the quick connects come out horizontal to the cone movement and interfere with the baffle, so you need to bend them way over to get the speaker to fit. i must have rotated it and pulled it out.

either way, i figured it out and everything else worked perfect.

now i just need to do EQ. level match. clean the car.

i need to fix one of the baffle bolts because my smart ass drilled one of the subwoofer baffle holes too close to the angle iron side and i cant get the bolt on there :mad:

my apartment is a mess right now. i need to be at work by 9:30am and my wife just left. i think im going back to sleep...

sigh.

oh yea. and my doors rattle like nothing else. 2 pounds of duct seal (like modeling clay) in the pods, ~10 pounds or so of deadener on the inside of the door. i have not put deadener on the door card, so i really think i need to do that. looks like ill be placing an order for some sound deadener, because these rattles are killer.
deadner wont do anything
get a roll of yellow insulation and cram in between the door panel and the door itself in every possible cavity and crevice.
but could also just be an eq issue

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·

yellow insulation?

you mean yellow fiberglass insualtion?

can you post a link to what kind of material you are refering to mic?

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts

yellow fiberglass insulation. its denser than polyfill. donot use pink unless you like to be itchy and have your lunch catch on fire everyday
In your area , like ours, they may not have yellow so get white, same general thing.

also, may want to do some dense foam behind the pod where it attaches to the door. sometimes clay materials are too solid and donot decouple enough.
so a couple cheap options. there are these blue foam camping pads at walmart that Ive used in the past that work well.
and also foam adding insulation by armorex i think.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·

thanks for the tips mic.

i used the duct seal to decouple the pods (well, housings\baffles) from the door panel, and like you said, its seriously firm, about the consistancy of clay. i think that foam will be a better idea... ill give it a try.

i know what you are talking about as far as the insulation stuff. should i use polyester or glass wool? ill see what i can do.

i think im going to use some hot glue to make sure the door cards are together and not buzzing against the joints.

blue foam camping pads, i know what you mean. but do you mean between the pod and the door? that might be too thick of a material to retain the door to fit. im not sure how much further out i can push the pod lol. its got some tight tolerances.

i thought i snapped some pictures, but i guess i didnt lol. ill see what i can do. its raining out so i dont know what i can do. ill try the insualtion because it seems to be a simple solution.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts

just do a "vapor" barrier like they use on factory stuff so that the watter will just go "around" everything

221 - 240 of 1170 Posts