DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright I got a 2004 Civic Sedan Si, known as an EX in the US I do believe. I'm a college student so funding is REALLY low and the progress is slow. I actually wanted to run an active setup for quite sometime and last weekend I started installing a miniDSP. I got it up and running last night so i'm officially 2-way active and started the STEEP learning curve of the tuning process. To be honest after a year of reading on this site, I thought I could tune an active system but Holy hell I don't got a clue what I'm listening too. I went from a 3 band PEQ with a HPF and LPF on a deck to a laptop tuning software for miniDSP overnight so I'm kinda lost...

This is a budget install with equipment I've gathered over a couple of years for gifts and minor amounts of money on my part.

Head Unit:
Pioneer AVH-4000DVD (Actually the first car audio piece I've ever owned, Roughly 6 years old?)

Processing:
MiniDSP w/ 2-way GEQ plugin

4ch Amp:
Pioneer GM-D9500F

Mono Amp:
Alpine MRP-M500 (Second Oldest lol)

Subwoofer:
ID10D4.V3 (I actually got out of the classifieds this summer! Nicest sounding woofer I've ever owned)

Speakers:
Infinity 6020CS, Temporarily as I've been waiting for the H-Audio blowout sale, New xSoul2 combo on the way!

So here is my system as it sits now. I have nothing but tuning to do as everything is kinda on a stand still until I get those xSoul2's. Next on my list is Sound deadening, New sub box, Maybe a false floor install and Hopefully Christmas time I'll have funds to get my hands on one of those new 5 channel Zuki amps!

Anyway I apologize for poor pictures, My good Canon got destroyed on my parents vacation in Maui.

Here's the car...

First a few pics of the old install, about a year ago.
Amp's in the spare tire well.

And my first ever attempt at fiberglass... Made a quick set of kickpanels. Never really came out as planned.

And here progress from last weekend:

Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge on the right side.
2 sets of RF RCA's and a remote wire on the left
2 runs of 14 gauge speaker wire was ran up either side. All zip tied and secured every 5 inches. (forgot pic of the left side, sorry)

Next I did a temporary tweeter in the A-Pillars.

Wires terminated the best I could.

and finished left side, the infinity tweeters are on a flush mount swivel pod so I have not done any aiming yet.

Here's the miniDSP installed with a rearranged amp rack. Still Remains in the spare tire well for now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my front stage as it sits so far. When the xSoul2 combo arrives the fiberglass fun starts! X2's in the Pillars, and new lower profile kickpanels!
Yes my car is a mess. It's a daily driver and it's been raining for what seems like months now.

And my new favorite, the ID10. Its currently in an old .7ft^3 box built back when I had a 10" Type-R.

And a pic of my new ground control's. Car is lowered about 2.5"

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Congrats on getting it done!

Very nice results for your first time FG. Great job on the wiring too. I think if you were to cover that amp board with carpet or vinyl it would look x1000 better!
Nothing wrong with pictures, better than most of the stuff that gets posted often.

How does the car sound to you?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on getting it done!

Very nice results for your first time FG. Great job on the wiring too. I think if you were to cover that amp board with carpet or vinyl it would look x1000 better!
Nothing wrong with pictures, better than most of the stuff that gets posted often.

How does the car sound to you?
Thanks! That amp board was a rough cut out a while ago, so its still kinda temporary. The goal is to do a false floor install, gonna start work on that quite soon actually.

The car sounds a lot better then it did with passive x-overs. I'm still learning and I'm having problems determining if what I hear is correct or not, namely Level matching seams to be kicking my ass.

I'm currently battling some real bad background hiss and piss poor mid-bass output. So through some quick tests the noise is not from the miniDSP and or the headunit.

I think those speakers are my issue, I got a set of loner coaxials to try out.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I found that it helps a lot to listen and than step out, do something and re-visit when working with levels.

You either have your gains set too high or your grounding needs to be better. That is if you are 100% sure that your problem is your amplifier.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found that it helps a lot to listen and than step out, do something and re-visit when working with levels.

You either have your gains set too high or your grounding needs to be better. That is if you are 100% sure that your problem is your amplifier.
Well my gains are almost at minimum even though the miniDSP has 0.9v outputs so I don't "THINK" that is the issue so I'm going to try moving my grounds before swapping out speakers.

Something I learned about car audio is i'm not 100% of anything...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Your speakers produce the hiss as a result of something happening in line before them.
If you unplug your RCAs from the amp, is the hiss still there?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your speakers produce the hiss as a result of something happening in line before them.
If you unplug your RCAs from the amp, is the hiss still there?
Yes, I have a set of RCA's that twisted together I tried that also. Noise don't change, It's constant. With car off it does not change pitch or get louder with volume. I also turned gains down all the way. Noise reduced but definitely not gone.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
And if you bypass MiniDsp and plug your RCAs in directly into your amp? Make sure your volume is all the way down!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gone to try it. Will report back. Thanks for the Help by the way!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And if you bypass MiniDsp and plug your RCAs in directly into your amp? Make sure your volume is all the way down!!!
Soo smart me left the RCA's not tied down to I can easily move them around +1 for me.

Soo directly off the headunit into the miniDSP. HU Volume and gains ALL THE WAY DOWN.... No difference, same constant noise.

Looking around the garage, I have a Ski-Doo battery on the floor plugged in to a battery tender. Can I unhook the leads from my distro block and use this other battery to isolate just that amp from the rest of the system? IE: check for grounding issues?

·
Registered
530 Posts
you can and it will completely isolate the amp. in doing so, you will bypass the charging system and car battery. if it doesn't go away, check the radio ground. i've had two pioneers have issues with the oem ground. I regrounded them to a metal bracket behind my dash and all whine went away.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you can and it will completely isolate the amp. in doing so, you will bypass the charging system and car battery. if it doesn't go away, check the radio ground. i've had two pioneers have issues with the oem ground. I regrounded them to a metal bracket behind my dash and all whine went away.
I actually had issues with the ground on the head-unit before, I have extended the ground to the chassis down into the center column where the gear shifter is.

Its not the Head unit because I tried it with muted RCA's, same noise

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small Update:

Just received my xSoul2 set. These things look sick. I hope they sound as good as they look and feel! Oh and packaging was crazy, I've never seen so much bubble wrap in a box this small before. Excellent stuff Mark! There going down in the basement tonight on a old Kenwood home receiver to break them in. After a couple days of pink noise on the X2's I'm going to start working on aiming them in my A-Pillars, should be fun.

I also picked up an enclosure for the miniDSP and miniDC Isolator. I'm still waiting on chassis mount RCA connectors to arrive to finish that part of the project off. I'll post some pics of that later on.

I bought some MDF tonight with hopes of tomorrow being able to start laying out for new kick panels and as for my noise issues it was traced back to those half assed infinity tweeters, hopefully everything will be nice and noise free with those X2's

Anyway few more Pics...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got another little bit of progress done tonight. Trying to do a install while keeping up on foolish amounts of school work is difficult but its nice to take a break and work on something.

Anyway I decided to start my A-Pillars....
Baffles are cut from 1/4" MDF, outside diameter is 3-1/2". I couldn't get a local source for anything like a low heat plastic so I made do.

This is a quick jig I made for a laser alignment. I wanted to get the pillars as symmetrical as possible so there somewhat visually pleasing. Oh in making these I stuck a half inch drill bit in the palm of my hand, see if you can spot the little bit of blood on the panels lol

and a few pictures with the pillars in place.

I then attempted pulling a cloth to make a mold. I actually have no idea what I'm doing but I managed to get the wrinkles out of them. So we'll see how they look when I get them glassed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you a big Nascar fan?
Ahh not really, My father kinda is. Everytime someone goes on vacation and sees a race they pick up a flag. They all tend to end up on the wall of the garage.

I'm more a WRC fan my self...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey,

Got a small update. Last couple of months have been really crazy and I couldn't find the time to get in the garage as much as I wanted to.
But the last couple of weeks I've have been slow and managed to get a few things done that I've been putting off. Anyway on to the pictures!

First up, some build pics of the A-Pillars.

On the bottom here, the pillar actually sits down in dash and I didn't realize it until I had everything glassed up. So I cut it with a hack saw and I'm going to pour a resin/bond mix to fill in the hole and add some strength... More sanding ahead.

At this point I still do not have the hole on the bottom filled as you can tell by the really weird wavy line haha

So as for the pillars; this is my first time ever doing a set. Overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I didn't expect much with my lack of skills but a good can of easy sanding body filler makes it up lol.
I got one pretty close to done, Still Got to finish up filling in holes and fix some high spots that stand out. I'll repeat with the other side then I was thinking wrapping them in grey grill cloth with a black speaker grill... Thoughts?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
While waiting for body filler to dry and few minutes here and there I managed to throw together a 0.81ft^3 box for my ID10. I can't wait to hear what sound like, Its currently in a 0.65ft^3 box.

I'm in the process of filling in the screw holes with body filler and sanding. Then its going to get coated in some spray on truck bed liner.

And the last little project is a enclosure for the miniDSP... This idea is pretty much taken from TMM over on the miniDSP support forum so Props/respect to that guy. He also done a much nicer and cleaner job then I did haha.

This will be going in the car this week but its probably going to be short lived because as of right now I have every intention of getting that new DEH-80PRS when it come out!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts