DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all........I am new to DIYMA so plz be kind......I am planning on building a new system in my 04 mustang gt.......it has the mach 460 in it now......blah.......i currently have some equipment laying around and will be buying some equipment in the future for this install.......so.....in the bank i have jl 12w7....10 boston acoustics g2.......10 alpine type r........alpine 9886 hu.......autotek model 66........ppi pc450 ( pre dei) ......power acoustic ovi4000d :( ...........jl 250/1 ........ 3 sets of older polk EX ......6.5 5.25 and 4 inch components and polk EX 5x7 coax's......and a set of jl tr650 coax......i have over the years hacked up all of my cars in search of quality sound ......dont want to hack up my stang but really hate the mach sound in it now .......any suggestions would be great.....have a few ideas but want some outside opinions also....thanx guys

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im just wanting some ideas for a build.....not sure what direction to go......im wanting something geared toward sq......i was thinking of gutting the factory tweeters and maybe using my 4 inch in some glass pods and maybe a good midbass in the doors like a jl 6w3 if i can get the clearance using autotek and 250/1 with the coax in the rear for fill and the w7 in a sealed with around 1.5cube but i wanted some other opinions ......dont want to butcher my car too bad either.....

·
Registered
475 Posts
f you dont want to butcher your car go with a high quality 2 way. The rear fill is up to you but most ditch it.

are you going to use the oem h/u?

Do you plan on going active?

goals? Budget?

I feel ya on the past mistakes....lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably going to use a alpine cda9886 h/u . i have went back and forth on what i want as far as a sub. thought about selling my 12w7 and going with somthing else but not sure on that one just yet. i dont have a huge budget but i do have quite a bit of stuff laying around that i could definatley improve whats in the bank if i need to. LOL . its a low mile car thats worth more than i have in it and the wife would kick my ass if it ends up like my last one LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but i am most definatley open to any ideas or information from anyone who has experience with the mustangs. Plus .......flowmasters and cams make a stereo hard to enjoy when its subpar ya know

·
Registered
475 Posts
You have enough stuff laying around to either use or sell and get what you want.

I would keep the W7, you have it and they are nice.

If you are going to go cheap anywhere I would get a cheap bass amp, as long as its rated. then you can upgrade when you are able. What you do up front is going to have the most impact on sound quality. It seems as though most people spend the most on the sub vs the important things.

The mid you choose should be where you spend your money. Ecspecially if you go 2 way. IMO its the most important speakr.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i have a cheapy power acoustic that would push the w7 pretty good. and i have a few sets of component 2 ways......one set of 4 inch polk and 1 set 5.25 and 1 set of 6.5
i was considering of making some fiberglass pods for the 4 inch with a tweet and putting some 6.5 subwoofers in the door but i think clearance might be a issue so i will probably just get some better end 5x7 component 2 ways . i really really hate the mach stereo in the car. LOL

·
Registered
475 Posts
I dated a chick who had that stereo, it would eat cd's. a 2 way with the 6.5 and tweet would work. I would make a list of what i was keeping, sell the rest and re invest that into the things you want.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
see ......thats the hard part.....i have a hard time getting rid of my old equipment.....some of it i am quite fond of ......my wife gets mad when i add to the pile but i am always hoping to find use for all of it ......so far i think my dad is the only old man around that bumps the statler brothers LOL.....maybe i could sell a few things .......keep your eyes open for a powerclass pc450 (pre dei)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I do the same thing...lol! The classifeds on here is a good place to sell and swap things. Everytime I sell something I miss it. I have stereo stuff a ton of jeep parts and crap for almost every vehicle I have ever owned. I even have a turbo laying around.....its going on my jeep this winter..lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah......every car in my family has a system in it except for mine now.....LOL......my dad my sister and even my moms ........my wife had one in her last car but when she got her new one she said no way........she didnt want me hooking anything up in mine but she even thinks the mach system sucks so yay i get to play ..........its a definate addiction i guess...........

·
Registered
475 Posts
Its an addiction....between this and my jeep....We just got a new vehicle less than 5k miles and I pulled it a part and put in a new system.....It sounds better than I have ever heard though. I am already changing stuff out though. I am waiting on tweets as we speak.....lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my sister has a jeep grand cherokee.......6x9 in the doors........just a good set of coax and one of my old autotek mean machines and it was sounding great.......she was like WOW.......i was kinda impressed how well they sounded in the doors......decent midbass for what it was

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have another addiction to vintage volkswagens.......i have a 67 beetle ive been working on for a while and i am already planning on what will work.......but it has a 30 amp generator........gonna have to make a good altenator work so i can get some juice in it .......then i think even a mild system will be kinda rediculous in such a small car......lol......most definatley an addiction

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had a 99 grand cherokee with JL zr 6x9's in the front and 6.5s in the back with 2 kicker L7's, It was damn loud. Mid 140's, 144spl was the highest. It was more spl than sq. The tone was good but the imaging and staging sucked.

I have a regular cherokee that's my offroad jeep, I am going to put an spl system in that when I finish the new car.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was too at the time. It was LOUD and very reliable. I had a panasonic flip up dvd h/u.

It sounded like crap compared to my current system. I wish I knew back then what I know now. I built the jeep in 2003.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts