DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 629 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first real complete build in quite a long time. The building of the enclosure will be farmed out to a local shop as I don't have all of the woodworking tools I need to build the box correctly. Everything else will be done myself in the garage.

The goal is decent SQ on a reasonable budget for a new father. I also want to make sure the rear hatch is still completely functional without having to remove the subwoofer enclosure. I spent a lot of time browsing and listening to different brands before settling on the following purchased equipment:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Amplifier: ARC Audio KS900.6
Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies I61-2
Subwoofer: Hybrid Audio Technologies I10SW
Miscellaneous: Metra 99-8230 Dash Kit, Best Kits BHA1761 Harness, Parts Express 2-Piece Steel Mesh 10" Grill

There are still several things that will have to be purchased before the installation can be completed. That includes, but is not limited to:

Amplifier Installation Kit: Knu Konceptz KFX-AK4-4 + extra set of Karma SS RCAs
Sound Deadening: Sound Deadener Showdown various products
Speaker Baffles: Elemental Designs/Home Made/Local Shop

Currently the only thing installed is the DEH-80PRS in an otherwise stock system. The DEH-80PRS is being run in "Standard" mode currently and has has the the Auto TA/EQ run for the time being.

As time and money allow, the plan is to run the DEH-80PRS in "Network" and go active with the system. The I61-2s will be run in component mode. The mids will be in the stock door location, mounted in baffles, and the tweeters are tentatively planned for the A-Pillars. Though I have not completely ruled out running the tweeters in the stock dash location for a more stealth look.

The plan for the subwoofer is to go into a 1.5 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 28 Hz, located in the rear cargo area. The enclosure will go in place of the stock spare and storage cubby. The subwoofer will be centered on the car, but offset in the enclosure. Final port location has not been determined. The amp will be located in the same cargo area next to the enclosure. A beauty panel will be made to cover the enclosure and amplifier, leaving only the subwoofer (grill) exposed.

The ARC KS900.6 will power the entire system. The first four channels (rated at 60w RMS @ 4 Ohms) will run the mids and tweeters. Each of which will have it's own channel and gain. The final two channels will be bridged (rated at 550w RMS @ 4 Ohms) to power the subwoofer.

The amp's crossovers will not be used. All sound processing (crossover frequency and slope, time alignment, EQ) will be handled by the DEH-80PRS. I may keep the remote bass knob in play for quick and easy adjustment to the subwoofer. Below is a photo of the equipment before installation.

I won't be going overboard with sound deadening. The treatment will likely be limited to the four doors, the rear cargo area and the rear hatch. The only other thing planned is a "big three" upgrade. No battery change or aftermarket alternator.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, progress has obviously been slow. Funds are a little shorter right now than I had hoped, but there has been a little progress. I’m still hoping to have everything installed to some degree before the GTG on June 9th. It will likely come down to a serious thrash session to get everything in on time.

On to the updates…
The amp kit has arrived. Ordered up the Knu Konceptz Kolossus Fleks 4 Gauge 4 Channel kit + an extra set of Kolossus Fleks RCAs. It got here a day sooner than expected and everything was in the box. I haven’t measured cable lengths to confirm they provided what they outline on their site, but I did note that the split loom was at least a foot short of what they claimed it would be. Not a big deal, so long as that doesn’t translate over to the cables.
4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit
Knukonceptz product detail for NEW KARMA SS 2 CHANNEL 6 METER RCA CABLE

I’ve also had second thoughts, at least for now, on the enclosure design. I spoke with a couple shops, and think for now I’m going to go with an “oversized” sealed enclosure. It will make for a simpler install, and would probably work better with my amp selection as well. Besides, if I’m not happy with it, I can always have another enclosure built.

Speaking of which, I’ll be taking the image below to a local shop today to get a quote to build the enclosure. This will go behind the rear seat in the hatch area, replacing the spare tire and storage cubby, The center section is the enclosure which works out to about 0.95 cf after driver displacement. The top and bottom panels are oversized for fitment and because I ultimately plan to build a beauty panel to hide the enclosure.

Obviously this leaves the two open sections on either side of the enclosure that will be hidden below the top panel. One side (likely driver’s side for shorter power cable runs) will be used to hold the amp. The other side will be left open for now with the possibility of using it to mount other equipment (processor, etc.) in the future. The amp will be mounted on some sort of rubber bushing to help isolate it from the vibration of the enclosure. Again, I am going to have a shop do this portion of work as I don’t really have the tools and it seems like every time I try to build an enclosure, I end up splitting the MDF.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang almost as if I am looking at my own build! :)
Figured it would be pretty close to what you were running. A whole lot of similarities between the two. What are the specs on your enclosure? What amps are you running, and where are they installed? You have a build log link?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Figured it would be pretty close to what you were running. A whole lot of similarities between the two. What are the specs on your enclosure? What amps are you running, and where are they installed? You have a build log link?
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/129048-2005-scion-xb-sq-build-rebuild-hybrid-audio-alpine.html#post1622337

The enclosure has not been made yet but it will be a 1cf sealed fiberglass enclosure.

Curious are you just going to run with out a spare or are you going to relocate it under the chassis?

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links Shinju and HondAudio. I’d seen both of HondAudio’s threads, but not Shinju’s. I’m definitely interested to see how both builds turn out.

As far as the spare goes, I’ll probably just ditch it. I ran around for over 2 years on air with no spare tire. I had a one-off air tank and compressor rack my brother and I built that fit under the stock hatch covers, so the spare had to go. The only reason the spare is back in now is because I pulled out the air and went back to just coilovers. I might look at the possibility of mounting the spare underneath.

Either of you guys have templates (PDF) for the door baffles? Or even dimensions? I know I could pull the stock stuff and make some myself, but it would be nice to just have to crack the doors open once for the install. I’d also considered just ordering up a set from Elemental Designs to save time, even though I know it could be done cheaper myself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I made my first set of baffles by hand when i got the car in 2005 new there were no door kits available so I drilled out the pop rivits and took the pioneer pods and traced around the outside edge.

I have an extra set (my original ones). I can try and make a template for you if you like and mail it out.

Also if you still have your stock double din mounting brackets keep them as there are no aftermarket mounting brackets for the xB. I had to hunt a set down in a local pick n pull yard, I got lucky every xB had an aftermarket single din and the last one I looked at that was set to be crushed this weekend had them sitting in the front seat!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I had a one-off air tank and compressor rack my brother and I built that fit under the stock hatch covers, so the spare had to go. The only reason the spare is back in now is because I pulled out the air and went back to just coilovers. I might look at the possibility of mounting the spare underneath.

Either of you guys have templates (PDF) for the door baffles? Or even dimensions? I know I could pull the stock stuff and make some myself, but it would be nice to just have to crack the doors open once for the install. I’d also considered just ordering up a set from Elemental Designs to save time, even though I know it could be done cheaper myself.
Did the tank for the airbag system have an extra outlet so you could put air into the tires instead of having to stop at a gas station? :D

I've researched putting the spare underneath. There's some... devices... mounted under the trunk/spare area that are part of the fuel system and can't really be moved or tampered with.

I've put some thought into having a system built with the amp and subs residing where you're going to put then, and maybe having some kind of mounting system on top of that for when you want to travel and need a spare. Maybe a threaded socket and a 1" steel pipe that you could screw in when you want to hold the spare. The socket could be masked by carpet when not in use.

I was mailed a copy of the front door templates from a guy on scionlife.com a long time ago. If you look around on there, you might be able to find them.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took my enclosure design and a template I made for the front baffles down to a local car audio shop today. Could have both in my hands by this evening. When I get them, I'll post up some pics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Another xB with HAT front stage.....I just commented on Shinju's thread a few minutes ago. Looking good so far!!!!!! Subscribed to both. I have been following Hondaudio's build for a while, but he is just doing stuff slowly....:p. I guess my build is going slow too, but hey I have a valid excuse for not working on mine ATM....you know I'm just bustin your balls Hondaudio....it's all good. I have a lot lined up for my setup when I return to the US.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Another xB with HAT front stage.....I just commented on Shinju's thread a few minutes ago. Looking good so far!!!!!! Subscribed to both. I have been following Hondaudio's build for a while, but he is just doing stuff slowly....:p. I guess my build is going slow too, but hey I have a valid excuse for not working on mine ATM....you know I'm just bustin your balls Hondaudio....it's all good. I have a lot lined up for my setup when I return to the US.
Actually, I'm just not posting my photos as often as I ought to :D

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, progress continues to be slow. But at least I have made a little. As stated above I took the enclosure design to a local shop, Zam'z Audio Sound Lab. After some confusion about the specs of the enclosure, Dave at Zam's ended up having to build a second enclosure at no cost to me. The quality of the enclosure and the professional manner in which I was treated will keep me going back to Zam's for all of my local audio needs. Not to mention, recommending his services to others.

Anyway, on to the pics. Here is the enclosure Dave built for me (specs listed above)...

The only other work I got done was getting my power wire under the hood and fuse block installed on my cowl. Right now the power wire is just run loose into the rear foot well on the driver's side. And no, there is no fuse installed into the fuse block right now. Took a little longer than I'd hoped to get it done, but part of it was due to using matching button head socket cap screws and nylock nuts to hold the fuse block in place the typical SMS.

Excuse the filthy condition under the hood. I've got no fender wells right now, so it is a bit difficult to keep the engine bay clean.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Hopefully I can get some more progress done fairly quickly. I’m going to try and get the power wire tucked away, scope out a good ground location, get the RCAs run to the back and my mounting solution for the amp done this week. A full work schedule, 9 month old son and busy weekends make sure I don’t spend too much time wrenching on the car.

1 - 20 of 629 Posts