DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

601 - 620 of 629 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
SUPER TWEETERS!! 'Cause everyone's ears should bleed listening to music

Sent from my mind using telekinesis
You have no idea how many times I will be having a discussion about audio on an xB specific forum or FB group and have to leave the discussion with a simple reply of...

"Super tweeters? I'm out."

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I don't know if that's worse than the Dodge neon forums where some people insist that pulling used stock speakers from junkyard neons is the most cost effective way to gain sound quality when replacing your blown speakers.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
You have no idea how many times I will be having a discussion about audio on an xB specific forum or FB group and have to leave the discussion with a simple reply of...

"Super tweeters? I'm out."

I don't know if that's worse than the Dodge neon forums where some people insist that pulling used stock speakers from junkyard neons is the most cost effective way to gain sound quality when replacing your blown speakers.

Haha

·
Registered
178 Posts
Super tweeter center channel....? Lol.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
Well, I finally got them installed last night. I was delayed as I had a lot of work to do replacing the struts on my coilovers, the driver side axle, the alternator adjuster, rotating the wheels and installing new lug nuts and locks.

Everything seems to be working again, but I'll definitely need to update the tune for the new configuration.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
Looks like I have been neglecting this thread for quite some time. I've posted some updates on Facebook, but nothing here.

First, the dash has changed quite a bit since my last post. It has gone through a couple of changes as indicated in the photo below. The procedure for the new pods is pretty similar to what I posted for the old pods here: Thanks JT!

I installed the new pods with adapter rings for the 3s for a short time before moving to the Illusion Audio C5s.

Prior to making that change, I started doing some design work for the enclosures for my new subwoofers.

Weekend before last, I finally had the opportunity to start bringing that model to a reality. It helps to have a brother who likes really expensive toys. He purchased a 5'x10' Arc Light Dynamics CNC plasma cutter a little over a year ago. A bonus feature of the unit is that it comes with a router and mounting hardware to convert it to a CNC router. Two sheets of 3/4" and one sheet of 1/2" MDF later and we have this...

There is plenty of clean up work to be done, but this was both of our first times messing with a CNC router. If we had gotten plunge depth dialed in sooner, there would have been virtually no clean up. As it is, the work will still be pretty minimal. Another lesson learned? Purchase a good dust collection system before converting your CNC Plasma to a CNC router. I've purchased most of what I will need to complete the enclosures, but I'll probably pick up some additional clamps for the glue up process.

The cheap "Q Power" grills I ordered to help protect the subwoofers arrived today. I have my new amps on order and should probably have them next month. I've also taken advantage of Andy's current special and ordered a UMI-1 to finally have a proper measurement mic. No more relying on an IMM-6 or needing to borrow a mic from friends. :D

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
nice work on that box! Interested to see how it comes out.

How low are you getting the C5's to play? Thats one way to eliminate door issues without having kicks lol

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #611
nice work on that box! Interested to see how it comes out.

How low are you getting the C5's to play? Thats one way to eliminate door issues without having kicks lol
If I recall correctly, they are currently crossed around 125Hz. But, this is an xB. There will always be door rattles. ;):D

That is pretty cool work! Maybe I missed it but where will they go, side panels or trunk?
These are under-seat enclosures. They are designed to fit under the front seat of the xB. There should be no modifications required for the passenger side. The driver side will require the relocation of the jack and removal of the jack mount.

^ oooh that looks so delicious!!
Thanks. Hopefully it all works! :eek::laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #613

·
Registered
249 Posts
Where are the updates on the under seat boxes?
more pics.

in still loving my Audiofrog 3 way setup, but am currently about to do GB12's to replace my GB10's.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #616
Nick is correct. All of the new gear is in and currently playing. There was a lot of delay in getting stuff done. Some within my control, some of it not.

Despite the extensive measurements I took, the enclosures just wouldn't fit as originally cut. Fortunately, I didn't glue anything together until I confirmed fitment. Waiting to get new layers cut pushed me right up to the last minute on getting the car ready for State Finals. I'll attempt an update here, including a few pics I was able to manage along the way. (Unfortunately, Photobucket sucks, so for some reason some of the photos aren't currently showing up.)

First is the long overdue amplifier update. I've pulled out the Arc KS amps (soon to be for sale) and in are a few Zapco Z-APs. One Z-150.6 AP and two Z-4002. APs to be exact. Here is a photo I took after a subtle modification. Those who know the amps will probably pick up on it, those that don't probably won't.

Next up is testing the 14 GA steel amp racks that I designed and had my brother cut on his CNC. I designed these so they could be bent a few different ways and still work. Right now, he only has a cheap Harbor Freight hydraulic press, so this is the shape we ended up with. It worked out well enough.

And a couple of shots after I painted it with some Krylon Satin Black Cover Maxx and began assembly at the kitchen table.

Next up, some subwoofer enclosure test fitting with the replacement layers I had cut. There were still some clearance issues on the passenger side.

A little persuasion with a rubber mallet, some clamps and vice grips and the bracket for the wiring connector clears. I may have a new bracket cut and welded on when I finish out the enclosures.

Time to clamp and glue! I built each enclosure in two stages. I would stack, glue and clamp the lower five sections and then come back later and do the same for the top four. For the most part, these were left for hours while I either took the opportunity to sleep for the night, or was at work. As you can see, this method left quite a bit of clean up.

So, I picked up a cheap Ryobi random orbital sander. This little guy literally saved me days of hand sanding and who knows how much money in pain relievers. I also grabbed a cheap bandfile belt sander from Harbor Freight to get into the pockets the Ryobi wouldn't fit in. It didn't do nearly as nice a job, but it can't really be seen once installed, and likely won't be visible at all once I finish out the enclosures.

Time to test fit the cleaned up enclosures.

Then with the subwoofers and binding posts installed. As you can see, this is the second big change. I'm moving from a single Arc Black 12 to a pair of Raven 10XLs. The old system was in the back here as I wasn't sure where my go/no go point would be for State Finals. I was trying to make sure everything worked and cleared before pulling the old gear. This was sometime late on Thursday night, I think.

And this is what the car looked like Friday at noon. The subwoofers fit and cleared the seats. So, out with the old in preparation for the new.

Seats are back in (mostly) and the partially completed amp rack is "installed." The third big change from the Mosconi 6to8 V8 to the Helix DSP.2 can be seen on the right side. As you can tell, there is a mix of old Knu RCAs and some custom units that I am building. There is also a ton of wiring clean up work to do. I still need to determine how the base will be finished out and how the cover supports will be build and incorporated. I'm hoping to put the stock covers back in, but I'm not sure how well they might fit/work.

And the enclosures under the seats. There is just enough room for rear passengers with average size feet to be heel in/toe out and still rest their feet in the floor. The enclosures will be back out again. I plan to put a radius on the top and bottom edge as well as finish them out. Most likely finish is some sort of bed liner material since they is a high potential for kicks and scuffs from feet. I also have some cheap grills I plan to place over the subs, but the mounting rings that came with them are too small. I'll make some custom rings that should allow the grills to press-fit onto the subs.

I finally called it "good enough" around 5:30 on Friday evening with nothing more than gains set on the mids and basic crossovers within the DSP. A quick shower and we loaded up the car and made the trek to San Luis Obispo.

And I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Chris Purdue (TooStubborn2Fail) for coming over to lend a hand on getting the car back together for the competition. There is NO WAY it would have made it without his help.

As I said previously, we left with the car completely untuned. Fortunately for me, Nick Adams has been offering moral support and constant prodding thoughout the process. :D He also graciously offered to help me get the car tuned for the competition. I'm very glad he did because my brain was absolutely fried and I just don't have the tuning skillset that he does. In a couple hours of time at the competition he was able to get a very solid tune on the car. I think there are certainly improvements to be made (especially in sound treatment, but likely in tuning as well), but what Nick was able to pull off in such a short time was outstanding. I haven't touched the tune since, and have been taking some time to just enjoy the new setup and tune for a little while.

So, how does it sound? In my opinion, it sounds quite good. One of the things I was always missing with my previous setups was dynamics and impact. I certainly don't think that is an issue now. I was worried about the under seat subs, but for competition listening, I think they worked out quite well. And when you get really loud there is tactile feedback, but I think much (certainly not all) of it can be addressed.

In the lanes, the car proved to be a success. Richard Papasin, Matt Roberts and Damon Young did an excellent job judging State Finals for us. The sleepless nights and mad thrash paid off with a victory in ModEx. The car's averaged score ended up being 78.33 (79.75, 79.75, 75.5) edging out second place by only 0.25 points. Now, a short break and then right back to getting the finish work done and getting everything dialed in.

If anyone has any questions about the gear, install or anything else on the car, just let me know.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
[email protected], that is a sweet setup! Nice work on the subwoofer enclosures. And I love the clean n' simple amplifier brackets.

Congrats on the win as well! And props to Nick for the last-minute winning tune. :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to hook up with you on my way up to/or back from the family's Bass Lake house. I usually end up spending any extra time and money I have at Bentley's (world famous) Drum Shop in Fresno. :p But would love to hear your system and let you put an ear on mine as well.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish up the rear cargo area/amp rack and any other updates.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
congrats. next up - lots of deadening. :)

i always thought a tuning competition would be neat, give competitors a couple hours in with the same car, see who could eek out the best tune from it.
Yep. I just need to find the motivation to gut the entire car. I've done it before (save for the headliner), and it isn't too bad. I just don't look forward to doing it again. :D

[email protected], that is a sweet setup! Nice work on the subwoofer enclosures. And I love the clean n' simple amplifier brackets.

Congrats on the win as well! And props to Nick for the last-minute winning tune. :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to hook up with you on my way up to/or back from the family's Bass Lake house. I usually end up spending any extra time and money I have at Bentley's (world famous) Drum Shop in Fresno. :p But would love to hear your system and let you put an ear on mine as well.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish up the rear cargo area/amp rack and any other updates.
Thanks. Any time you are passing through, just let me know. I'm on the SW side of Visalia, pretty close to the 99. So, making the pit stop would be a pretty simple endeavor.

601 - 620 of 629 Posts