DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first install ever. Of course the more I search the more I realize I know absolutely nothing about mobile audio (or anything audio for that matter)! But I guess we all had to start at this point, so here goes.
What I am starting with...

Nothing special really, just a toy and people hauler. So I figured I'd spend a little money and make it a more enjoyable ride to destinations.
Figured I'd start from the bottom up so out came everything...well, almost.

Before I knew better I covered everything with Raamat BXT. 60 square feet on the floor alone!

And I covered the back wall with 1 layer....

Then I threw down two layers of ensolite...

Was going to throw on a third layer of ensolite before the MLV but I was concerned about having the floor too thick and not being able to get the seats back in. Good thing I didn't because with 1 layer of Raamat BXT, two layers of ensolite, a layer of MLV, the factory insulation sheet, and the new carpet with a layer of insulation glued to it made it a real pain getting the seats back in, but they made it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Having finished the floor I moved on to the doors. The rear doors are a real pain with the huge holes that can't be covered with a flat panel.
Put down one layer thinking I was done but everybody said I should put down two layers.

So I put down a second layer on the outer panel and a single layer on the inner panel.

It was recommended to get some perforated aluminum to fill holes so that is what I got. Had to mold it a bit to fit the door but not too big of deal.

Then I covered the aluminum inside and out with Raamat BXT and screwed it to the factory sheetmetal.

Not being a secured place to mount a set of components I ordered a mold for my interior door panel. I added an mdf ring, fiberglass, clay and more Raamat BXT to stiffin it all up.

I also added Raamat BXT to the interior door panel just to stiffin it up a bit and can whatever resonance may be.

I am using infinity kappa 6.1 components for the rear fill as in my early stages that is what all the local car audio places suggested. Wish I knew then what I know now but I'll make them work. I think they will be fine considering they will be faded down and used only when rear passengers are riding. If the tweets are indeed still to harsh for being faded down I'll replace them with some seas or something a little more mellow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I still need to glue on a layer of ensolite to the door panel and interior trim panel but for now I am moving on to the front doors.
I ordered molds for the front as well. They got the same mdf ring, fiberglass, clay, and raamat btx to stiffin it up.

I also covered the interior of the door trim panel with more raamat btx.

I bought a set of Hertz 163 components from Tonyguy on here and will mount the midbass in the mold. Still trying to figure out the best location for the midrange and tweets. Opinions welcome! More pics to come as I continue to deaden the front doors. Is it recommended to put closed cell foam on the outer panel as I am doing on the inner panel and the interior trim panel? I'd love to kill as much road noise as possible but don't want to ruin accoustics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 4/7 drop and I hate it. Well, I love the stance but hate the ride on the stock springs. I will be bagging it this winter or spring. Fortunately I can use the lower front a-arms for the bag mount so the kit wasn't a total waste. Serioulsy...it does not ride very smooth, especially on So. Cal. freeways.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is a 4/7 drop and I hate it. Well, I love the stance but hate the ride on the stock springs. I will be bagging it this winter or spring. Fortunately I can use the lower front a-arms for the bag mount so the kit wasn't a total waste. Serioulsy...it does not ride very smooth, especially on So. Cal. freeways.

I have the same drop on my CC and it's just ok. I did my front with a spindle and a spring. I hope you have clearanced your crossmembers for that drive line with that drop. Unless you've gone with a 2 piece from an extended cab.

looks good

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I put a two piece driveline in it.
I attacked the front doors today and am pretty happy with it. Put two layers of BXT on the outer panel and one layer + on the inner panel. I still need to put the ensolite on but when I beat against the door panel I can feel the air coming out of of holes where the interior trim panel hooks to.
Stock door...

Mid way through...

And after...

It was much easier to cover the holes on the front doors. I used the same perforated metal to cover the holes and used Raamat BXT on both sides to form an air tight seal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
great work so far!

are those pods from CustomSpeakerPODs.com?
if so how do you like them?

are the kmc's 22s or 24s?

and i have a bunch of bagging parts i want to sell pm me for pics/prices.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Very nice work so far! Youre gonna love the Hertz.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good thing I didn't because with 1 layer of raamat BTX, two layers of ensolite, a layer of MLV
Wow, Great job with deadening:eek:, very clean work. What did you use for MLV? and would you use the BXT again?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The KMC Slide wheels are 22's.
The Hertz components came today!
I'm pretty happy with the Raamat BXT. It took exactly 1 roll (60 square feet) to do both front doors. I have now used 3 rolls of this stuff (180 square feet) and need to buy a fourth to finish up some areas. I should be able to get the ensolite on the panels tomarrow. Doing the front doors made a huge difference! When I close the door with all the others closed it feels tight, like air is being compressed in the cab. I did block off the rear vents. I'm hoping not to have rattles at this point. Banging on the sheet metal feels pretty solid and rattle free for now.
The MLV I got from a local supply place. Not the greatest deal but it worked well. I made sure to tape all the seams so there were no broken areas for noise to get through.
I did order the interior panel molds from www.customspeakerpods.com. I think they are a good start for a newbie like myself. Having put mdf rings and fiberglass and clay on them they feel pretty solid. Next time I'll just make some wood baffles.
If I hadn't already purchased the components and speaker pods, I would have thrown some 8's in the doors and done a total diy kit but I thought it was more than I could bite off for my first install. This will no doubt go through stages as most builds do.
Not sure what I am going to do with the bumper and grill. I may get a more stylish bumper cover and paint it either white or back. I'd also like to get rid of the stock grill in favor of something else and black it out.
Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Glad you got the Hertz already. Enjoy them!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Industrial Metal Supply. But pretty much any decent metal shop will have perforated metal or aluminum. Either will work. Something in the 16-18 guage should do.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So has the a/c suffered at all since you blocked off the vents? Seem like i could fit so much more back there if I just ripped all of mine out

1 - 20 of 69 Posts