DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
I'm amazed at how well those 8"s perform compared to the sealed 12" and gets you that coveted trunk space back! Though I'm curious about what you mean when you say the 8"s are more musical?

What's the next upgrade on the list?

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Me too! The Vega 8's, installed in this config, really do perform very well.

By more musical, I mean the way the subs react to rock music; tight, punchy, bass passages .... The kick and bass guitar are more defined. I assume it's related to how the speaker reacts to transients maybe? I'm sure having the 8" subs in the cabin, while the 12" was in the trunk, also has an impact here too. The 8's just sound more lively than the 12 did, and since they also cover the spectrum down to 25hz or so just fine, I've been really happy exchanging them for the sealed 12.

There's another forum member, @KFXGUY , who has a GTO as well. He's the guy I got the mounting adapters from, and he tried several different 8" subs in the rear deck before settling on the Vegas. Not all 8s performed like this, and I am really thankful he went through the trial and error process which I got to capitalize on :)

For the next upgrade, I'd like it to be the head unit ... but supply chain issues and pricing right now are making that difficult. I may swap the 6.5" door speakers for the matching Hertz Mille Legends counterparts to my new tweeters if I can find them at a reasonable price ... but I'll just have to wait and see at this point.
Ahhhhhh, I'm tracking with you. That's what I'm looking for, subs with more definition. My NVX was fine, decent clarity, but I want something tighter. Though that may be from having a soft top more so than from the sub itself.

What head unit are you interested in? I really dig my touch screen pioneer. I'm addicted to Android Auto, having Waze on my head unit and Google maps on my phone in a mount next to it really gives me a lot of traffic data while I'm driving. The head unit came with a solid mic that manages to be clear even when I'm driving on the interstate in my noise machine.

How warm is the sound from those tweeters? Mine are a little too harsh for my liking.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
I have to track down the link, but there's a company developing an adaptor that turns a wired carplay/Android auto into a wireless one for under $80, which will really open up a lot of options. Motorola, I think. I've barely seen the wireless head units for under $1k.

I love my wired one, but the charging is slow (takes nearly two hours of driving to fully charge a near dead phone) and if you're out running errands the constant plugging/unplugging is not only a pain but it also wears out that charging port. A wireless android auto with a wireless charging cradle would be stellar.

Reactions: Stoopalini

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Very cool! I had no idea these existed, thanks for sharing. Looks like there's a bunch of options out there.

Oh that's even better! No wait for it, I might have to look into one of those You're welcome 😁 Of course, can't vouch for how well they work, but I read some early tests of the Motorola being pretty decent.

That can disengage you from the super premium $1k head units and get you back into the $500 range. Makes me glad I venture into that price range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts