DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
No, I haven't tackled the head unit yet so am still using the 80PRS. It's great for SQ, and with the prices of headunits being so high right now, I'm just waiting. Even the older 995S you have is going for $1k on the used market right now.

I did recently swap my door speakers out though, since I picked up a pair of Hertz ML1650.3's to replace the Hertz Centos C165's I had in there.

Centos on the left, Legends on the right

Product Sound box Car subwoofer Electronic instrument Gadget

Camera lens Camera accessory Rim Font Cameras & optics

I was pleased the extra depth wasn't enough to cause an issue with the window operation :)

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door

I just did this today, so haven't had any time to really listen to them or do any tuning adjustments. But if the improvement is anywhere close to what I experienced when going form the Cento tweets to the legend tweets, I'm sure I'll be happy!

Reactions: Terry Mc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice!
I understand, I shopped for another 995S for the GTO and went "HUH???" They are more than I paid for mine new.
But I got a deal on an open box ILX-W650 and it was only $325 so I decided it was time to try Alpine again.

Talk to me about the mass load vinyl. I am unfamiliar with it. I have damping material but was starting to investigate
other adders such as closed cell foam, etc.... your reference to the mass loaded vinyl is the first I have seen, but I have been away from
car audio for a long time.

I am looking to reduce noise level as much as I can without insane levels of weight and work.
Right now my GTO is pretty loud inside, which they all are but I am running Conti Extreme sport tires (19's) and headers so that gives you an idea of what
I combat.

I wish I could hear your system.
Just looking at what you have done and the work you have put into the tuning, makes me think it sounds better than I thought a GTO could.

I have heard some nice car systems in the day and some even better home hifi.
The best being one of my customers which had Wilson Audio Pups, active crossovers, and 2 Monoblock Classe amps for each channel.
It was a $100,00 system back in the '90s but it was by far the best imaging/soundstage system I had ever heard before or since.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
MLV is a barrier, and blocks sound. It's only as effective as the barrier is complete though. Ideally, you would encapsulate the entire car in MLV (or lead sheets) to block out all road noise, but in a car environment, you just do the best you can.

But ... doing just small non-continuous sections in MLV really won't get you any benefit.

Damping material (CLD), closed cell foam (CCF), and mass loaded vinyl (MLV) are all used for different purposes. CLD changes the resonant frequency of the structure you apply it to, so it changes the frequency at which the structure vibrates. CCF is a decoupler, and stops rattles caused by two components vibrating against each other. MLV blocks sound.

Here is a good read on the subject: Car Soundproofing (No More Road Noise) - Second Skin Audio

definitely do your homework on which materials to use where, as it gets pricey fast. Plus the amount of time and effort is not to be underestimated; For the amount of time, effort, and $$ you put in ... you definitely want to be sure you're going to get good results.

I had a pretty solid plan going in with my project, and did achieve some awesome results. My GTO is super quiet to drive. It makes it feel very refined. The audio, of course, also sounds great ... but I really wanted to quiet the interior to the levels my wife's 2016 Durango R/T has ... and that vehicle is highly insulated.

Reactions: Terry Mc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for all the information.
I will definitely read the link thank you for that.

Yeah I am quite aware of how much work and COST can go into that.

I was familiar with CLD and CCF but not the MLV.
I have done damping before on things like doors and sub enclosures that were integrated into the structure of the vehicle.

I have owned a few Lexus's over the years so I know just how much a difference good design can make.

Thank you again and look forward to reading your further exploration of what your system evolves into.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If I were to do this again, I would opt for CLD panels, and then I'd use Resonix noise barrier on top instead of MLV and CCF.

Their noise barrier is lead sheets (same purpose as MLV, but MUCH thinner) sandwiched between two layers of CCF. It's very effective, and much easier to work with than MLV + CCF is.

Reactions: juvehab

·
Registered
31 Posts
very interesting indeed stoopalini. awesome. love the diagrams. just one thought: you said you had ccf on rear deck speaker deletes for the fuel pump noise, correct? did you try applying dynamat or other deadener directly to the fuel tank cover? I did this and a layer of dynapad and hear no fuel pump with open rear deck holes. and one question: curious how you attached your tweeters? oem tweeter has a bolt in the magnet, I used vhb tape for my after market tweeters. did you do the similar?

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
very interesting indeed stoopalini. awesome. love the diagrams. just one thought: you said you had ccf on rear deck speaker deletes for the fuel pump noise, correct? did you try applying dynamat or other deadener directly to the fuel tank cover? I did this and a layer of dynapad and hear no fuel pump with open rear deck holes. and one question: curious how you attached your tweeters? oem tweeter has a bolt in the magnet, I used vhb tape for my after market tweeters. did you do the similar?
Ya, I used ~2" open cell foam, and then stuck closed cell foam to one side and vinyl tape to the other side. I stuck these into the OEM speaker mounts on the rear deck. Without them, the fuel pump buzzing was quite loud in the cabin.

Audio equipment Ingredient Rectangle Fashion accessory Metal

Tire Ingredient Automotive tire Cuisine Wheel

I didn't try treating the fuel tank cover, as these inserts did the trick when I didn't have speakers back there. They blocked the high frequencies but not the low. This is when I still had the 12" sub enclosure in the trunk.

Now I have the 8" subs in the rear deck with nothing in the trunk, so I don't really have a need to mask the fuel pump anymore.

For the tweeter mounts, all the tweeters I have installed over the years had the center mounting hole, so I've just mounted them like the OEM tweeters were mounted. I think the MB Quart tweeters I used at one point had a center mounting hole in the mounting cup they came with, and the tweeter sat inside that and was able to be pivoted. But the Hertz Centos and Hertz Legends both have a center mounting hole in the magnet.

Reactions: zech912

·
Registered
31 Posts
got it, it didn't occur to me that you had moved past rear deck delete anyway, and interesting about the tweeter mounting hole, did not realize that was the norm, it is certainly a great idea and I wish mine had that.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
No worries ... My current setup consists of this:

Product Font Parallel Rectangle Technology

I would love to get the rear fill up into the rear deck eventually, with 10" subs in the rear side panels. But that'll be for some future project, as the 8's back there sound really, really good. Plus the head unit replacement would take priority over that, but they're still hard to find and too pricey right now due to supply/demand issues ... So I'm happy to wait for all of that to resolve.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sometime far into the future, this is what I would like it to look like ...

Product Font Technology Rectangle Diagram

41 - 50 of 50 Posts