DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dang, I came over here to see the door deadening photos, and you forgot to take photos haha.

So it looks like you pretty much just used the Soundskins Pro like CLD and placed it on the outer and inner skin? You didn't make a continuous piece like you normally would with MLV?
Haha, sorry. When you're in the groove of things, it's hard to remember to take photos!

I did full coverage (well, as good as I could get it) on both inner and outer. Adrock did the same in his 5th gen 4Runner. He actually has Second Skins Damplifier (non-pro) on the outer door skin, but I think at 100% coverage as well, then Soundskins Pro on the inner. He also did a much prettier job than I did!

Post #9:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/413651-2012-4runner-mild-sq-build.html

·
Registered
290 Posts
Haha, sorry. When you're in the groove of things, it's hard to remember to take photos!

I did full coverage (well, as good as I could get it) on both inner and outer. Adrock did the same in his 5th gen 4Runner. He actually has Second Skins Damplifier (non-pro) on the outer door skin, but I think at 100% coverage as well, then Soundskins Pro on the inner. He also did a much prettier job than I did!

Post #9:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/413651-2012-4runner-mild-sq-build.html
Awesome thanks! Really looks quite easy now. Only thing that makes me hesitate is that it seems like it's not removable if the doors ever need to be accessed. Any reason why you decided to not go with Luxury Liner Pro? Or is gluing the CCF to the MLV not really that big of a deal?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Awesome thanks! Really looks quite easy now. Only thing that makes me hesitate is that it seems like it's not removable if the doors ever need to be accessed. Any reason why you decided to not go with Luxury Liner Pro? Or is gluing the CCF to the MLV not really that big of a deal?
I wasn't familiar with Luxury Liner pro until just now, so that would be the reason for that :p

Since the area we have MLV is all flat, I didn't even glue them together, to maximize the decoupling.

Edit: as for accessibility, yes you're right. I figure if that is ever needed for some reason, I can just cut it out, and slap it on as needed. I took a "gamble," and assumed the odds of needing to get in there is fairly slim at this point. (We did have a door lock actuator on one of the doors that was faulty, we replaced that with a new one before we applied the soundskins pro).

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wasn't familiar with Luxury Liner pro until just now, so that would be the reason for that :p

Since the area we have MLV is all flat, I didn't even glue them together, to maximize the decoupling.

Edit: as for accessibility, yes you're right. I figure if that is ever needed for some reason, I can just cut it out, and slap it on as needed. I took a "gamble," and assumed the odds of needing to get in there is fairly slim at this point. (We did have a door lock actuator on one of the doors that was faulty, we replaced that with a new one before we applied the soundskins pro).
Haha, that's a good reason. I think I'm just gonna get the LLP just to make my life easy for a first install.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe I missed it in this thread but did you notice a large reduction of noise after installing the sound treatment? Or maybe better put, was it worth the time and expense to put in CCF, MLV, CLD? I will be taking the interior apart on my 04 Limited in the next few months and contemplating the same sound treatment you did.

And thank you very much for the details on the Metra kit and the OEM radio bracket. Those pictures helped me a lot last weekend because I too was confused on the "Except Limited" statement in the kit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did experience a large reduction in noise following sound treatment installation.

If I had to do it all over again, I would personally just pay a little more and use Soundskins Pro everywhere.

I know others have said cutting MLV isn't that difficult. I don't know if it's the specific MLV I got, or if I'm just a wuss, but it sucked. And I'll never do it again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did experience a large reduction in noise following sound treatment installation.

If I had to do it all over again, I would personally just pay a little more and use Soundskins Pro everywhere.

I know others have said cutting MLV isn't that difficult. I don't know if it's the specific MLV I got, or if I'm just a wuss, but it sucked. And I'll never do it again.
I figure you can always put MLV on after you use Soundskins Pro if you end up wanting more noise reduction.

I'll be putting on Sonic Barrier MX-4 in my car which is the same as Soundskins Pro so I'll report back!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh yeah, I was supposed to be working on the subwoofer enclosure :p

I was originally planning to use a Hertz ES250.5 subwoofer I already had. But I needed a grill for it. Went looking for one, and they wanted $50 for a piece of plastic. :surprised:

Meanwhile, I found a JL TW3 for sale on here, including a grill, for a reasonable price. I've always liked JL subs, and this one required a little less airspace than the ES250.5, so I decided to go for it.

First, I built part of the structure out of MDF:

And setup my fiberglassing station, and got to work:

I missed getting pictures of some of the steps in between, but I wrapped it with fabric, more glass to enclose it, and some body filler to smooth it out for carpeting:

This vehicle has a movable/adjustable cargo shelf, and I'm happy to say that it still clears the subwoofer and remains fully functional. Woohoo!

I plan to "outsource" the carpeting bit, but it's fully functional at this point and tuned. Finally got some low end to round out the system. Sounds pretty good, too. So much easier to get good bass in an open cabin! :p

21 - 29 of 29 Posts