DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.
I own a MB 2006 SLK55 coupe that has the upgraded Harman Kardon surround system and a non descript "Comand" head unit... The door speakers have these molded plastic pods screwed into the doors that house 3" midrange and 8" woofers.

1579804536008.png

Both of my car doors 8" woofers have blown.

So I'm starting from scratch to replace my whole system. And I ask you experts for advice. I need 3 components speakers, an amp, dsp, sub(in the cabin and new head unit.

I am not locked into any 6.5/3/1-1.5 component set/amp/dsp/sub set up. I could buy everything and let an installer install, but it's likely he doesn't know dsp's all that well or custom tuning. Or, I have to buy the product of an installer shop who can tune very competently but I'm buying the "big names" like Hertz, Audison, JL Audio and amps as well.

With a $3K budget, what would you suggest. I imagine maybe a third of the budget will be for custom adapter work, install and tuning. Does that sound right?

I want an aftermarket head unit with steering wheel adapter etc., I'm considering the
Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX head unit. Best choice? I don't need Nav. I'll use my phone if I need it.

I've got a small cabin so I was considering an 8" powered sub as I don't want anything in the trunk and prefer it in the cabin. I don't think I can fit a 10" behind the passenger seat and the aftermarket amp will go behind the passenger footwell where the current amp resides.... I see that powered subs are not adored here but what would be a better option you think could work in the cabin. I don't want conspicuous booming bass. Just to tighten up the bass.

For amps, I was just checking out DD Audio and their AB amps looked good and seem very reasonably priced. Zapco's look good too. And the ST-6X has DSP. Good value it seems....Audison amps are expensive. Hertz amps I don't know anything about.

If you have any advice or pearls of wisdom I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not familiar with MB at all, but unless you're trying to keep a 3 way and add a sub I'd start with figuring out how much mounting depth you have and what size tweeter you can fit in the factory location. Running a 3 way with the mid low in the door seems a litte counter productive for sq although it can be achieved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not familiar with MB at all, but unless you're trying to keep a 3 way and add a sub I'd start with figuring out how much mounting depth you have and what size tweeter you can fit in the factory location. Running a 3 way with the mid low in the door seems a litte counter productive for sq although it can be achieved.
Thanks and yes, I am trying to keep the 3 way. And I will add a sub. The pods will accept a shallow mount Audison Prima 8" woofer who's reduced mounting depth is about 3.2". The OEM 8" woofer has the cone facing the door because of the shallow mounting depth...The pods are constructed in such a way that once the OEM 8" woofer is cut out, my only option is a 6.5" midbass with an adapter plate. And a 3" mid-range replacement. I am married to the pod speaker placement and position in which the mid is low on the door. No choice in that matter.

I believe my best aftermarket option with an installation shop looks to be the Hertz Mille MPK163.3 Pro component set. The OEM tweeter is 1.6" so the Hertz tweeter will work. From what I'm reading here, it will be important to get the hi pass/low pass properly done for the tweeters and mids. I need a shop that knows how to tune.

Replacing my OEM head unit will help the sound a lot. Leaning towards the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX.

Then I need to decide on the amp and dsp and then get the system tuned once deadening is placed as my cars cabin really hears the road and outside. The installation shops my way that tune will install speakers they sell and work with. No one down here sells audio frog, dynaudio or the like.
From what I've found, installers that WILL install gear I provide don't install DSP's and tune.

As far as subs go, I want to put it in the cabin so I believe I'm relegated to a powered sub behind the passenger seat as I don't think there's room or a spot for an 8" sub+box. MAYBE something custom could fit in the right back corner of the passengers footwell. An Alpine SWR-8D4 Type-R 8" sub has a 4.5" mounting depth and gets great reviews. Hertz has an 8" as well but it's 4x as much as the Alpine.
Deciding on which class AB amp and DSP is next. Zapco looks good but I don't know if a shop will install them. DD Audio and mini DSP the same. I believe that while the door woofers get their own amp channels, the tweeters and mids are wired in parallel.....But there are a lot more options for amps and DSP's than speakers for my car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My last car had an HK system with shallower woofers. My course was just a spacer/adapter but I only had the woofer to deal with. It's more fabrication but a shop that can fabricate shouldn't have to much trouble making adapters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My last car had an HK system with shallower woofers. My course was just a spacer/adapter but I only had the woofer to deal with. It's more fabrication but a shop that can fabricate shouldn't have to much trouble making adapters.
I hope so. The tricky part will be finding an install shop my way that can fabricate custom adapters, sell products I want to use and tune well. They likely stick to what they sell so I may be limited in choice to some extent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts