DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, acutally got this car done last week, but the customer wanted me to wait until he came to pick up it today, to post any pics.

the car, is a 2006 VW Gti four door hatch, yep, another one :) along wtih all the greatness associated with its stock front speaker locations hehe

goals:

1. achieve a high level of overall SQ
2. Retain as much storage space as possible in the hatch area, below the floor (this somehwat dictated the look out of the trunk)
3. work the customer supplied gear into the equation as well as utilizing some design themes given to me by him

lets get started...note that everyhting piece of gear, othre than the amps, were supplied by the customer.

the signal starts with kenwood excelon 991 headunit. This unit was already installed inthe vehicle when i got the car, its installed via a VW single din finisher:

the only major change I did, as speced by the customer, was to move his BT mic to near the stock location in the overhead bin:

becuae the car uses zapco tuning, the USB cable comes out of the glovebox, along with an ipod cable, for easy front seat tunig:

in the end, i gotta say the headunit was prolly the biggest limiting factor of the entire system. there are a bunch of built in DSP features that cannot be disabled, such as speaker location and size selection, whcih affects sound in different ways, and other things usch as WOW HD proecssing, whcih may or may not sound good with it on or off, in the end, both Leon and I, thiunk the unit relaly doesnt seem to have a truly flat output, whcih makes for fine tuning a fully active sq system quite frustrating. So IMO, if you guys are looking to build such a system, i would not use the new kenwoods with these features :)

anyway...on to the front stage.

the client gave me a set of Hertz MLK2 6.5" two way system. a nice set with very pretty cosmetics. Like the previous Gti, i fabricated a set of custom fiberglass door pods to hold the midbass. there are some subtle changes on the pod as directed by the client. its slightl smaller, more recessed, sharper corners and a slightly more upward cant.

here are some pics of the finished product. I used a vinyl he supplied which matches the top portion of the door quite well (though it may seem a bit more off in the pics lighting)

and a close up pic of the pod to show the vinyl job, no creases or bubbles or wrinkles:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is a step by step build log of the door pods, its similar, again, to the last one, but i figure you guys like biuld pics right? :)

first hte doors were trimmed and taped off:

then, 8 layers of glass cloth was laid down and allowed to dry overnight:

after that, the mold was treated to a layer of duraglass and allowed to dry for another half day, this ensured that there would be no warping, once the mold was removed from the door:

then the mold was trimmed to the shape i wanted, and the pocket ledge section was attached and molded in:

then a vent hole was cut in the back of hte mold, and a layer of customre supplied cascade sound proofing was applied:

ring baffles for the Hertz midbass was angled, aimed and attached:

meanwhile, the metal panel of hte door received its own layer of cascade:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and the inside of the door cars, was also smothered with cascade to kill resonance:

after the door pods were molded, they were reinforced from the inside, and then test fitted on the door:

then, filler applied and sanded smooth:

modeling clay was applied to the walls of the pod for resonance killing (the yellow stuff):

then one more layer of cascade went over it to add more mass and also to hold the clay in place when the cabin heats up:

finally, the pods were vinyled:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and attached to the door card, and the door installed back into the vehicle, wires were ran into the door, and led out:

and the hertz midbass installed:

same goes for the passenger side:

so thats it, total work time about 20-24 hours not counting drying time...hehe

the hertz tweeters were intsalled into the A pillars, off axis, here again is the ifnished result:

and a close up of the tweeter and the vinly showing the finish quality:

and the passenger side:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a few quick build pics of hte pillars:

first rings were aimed and attached:

molded, and sanded smooth:

and finally, vinyled and tweeter installed:

note the stock vent guides were retained:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now, onto the trunk.

before i start, i would like to say that this trunk design maybe a bit more polarizing than normal. a few factors went into the overall look of the hatch.

1. the customer supplied me with a rainbow profi 10, whcih s a pretty beefy 10" subwoofer, for the side fiberglass enclosure. now, i did NOT want to build a box that, while havint hte sub centered, sticks way out from the side like a boob. as a result, i built a box that is really flush with the sides, but had to relocated the box to the upper left hand corner in order to fit.

2. one of hte requirement was that storage space was to be retained, whcih in the end, it turned out hte best way to do this was to keep the stock storage bins in place.

3. the customer wanted a theme to follow the red stripe on the front grille:

hence the red and the border design :)

so...here is the normal view:

a fake floor with a center piece holding the amps with a cutout, and a outter piece done with a red suede border. a side box, wtih a matching red border themed trim ring. the entire floor and subbox, is true alcantara, for its durability.

pop off the grilles and you can see the rainbow profi 10" sub and the two zapco amps, a DC650.6 powers the front stage, and a 500.1 powers the sub:

now, the reason i did the cosmetic trim on the subbox, was beucase i really didnt want the apperance of this relatively large trapazoidal front baffle, with the sub squished all the way in one of the corners. so, i worked the red border theme into the design, with a cosmetic piece, incorporating a OEM VW emblem. it breaks up the look visually, and draws your attention across the entire box, versus just focused on the upper left hand corner.

here is a close up of that piece:

and here is a view of the stock storage bin retention. the piece with the red border, is fully detached, and you can simply lift it up, and access virtually all the bins in the storage compartments. while the cneter amp rack is acutally contained in the spare tire area, and secured on its own:

i cut out a HD carpet piece to go over the floor for loading, and as mentioned, alcantara is quite sturdy anyway:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are some quick biuld pics of hte subbox:

first hte mold was done,and trimmed out, here it is best test fitted to the vehicle:

then the front baffle is molded in, and while the front baffle goes all the way to the top for cosmetic purposes, the box stops a bit short for better fitment:

then, alcantara was applied to the front:

then comes the cosmetic piece, whcih was a carefully cutout double ring, and then both the inner and outter edges recieved a roundover routing job:

then red suede was attached:

finally, a pic of hte wiring below the fake floor:

so thats it, as it stands, it sounds pretty decent, thoguh as mentioned, it hink wtih a truly flat HU, we can prolly tune it a bit more. as for the look of hte hatch, i think if i had fully decision on the looks and choise of equipment, i would have gone a slightly different direction, ditching the storage bin idea in the process, but it is functional, and acutally, over the last week or so of looking at it, its surely growing on me :)

anyway, thanks to Leon for the tuning...customer just picked up the car and is on his way back to NV.

cheers,

b

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good lookin install Bing. While different from your typical job, it still has it's Bing touches and the quality is top notch as always. It's good to see something a little off the beaten path. Do you order your alcantra or do you have a local source? I'm in the market and can only find microseude locally. Never sure about colors online.

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the customer had bought it a long time ago, and gave a bunch to me with the car, and it just happend there was enough. its super expesnive, so i am not sure if i would suggest it.

he got it fro gulf fabrics?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Perfect job! :cool:
Is there still a spare wheel under those amps?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice work, dor pods look like they came from factory. How did you attach them to the door panels, got any pics?

Tõnu

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Nice work.

I'm not a fan of the red, but that's what the costumer wanted and you made something nice of it :)

greetz,
Isabelle

·
Registered
343 Posts
Great works as always! You've probably mentioned in other threads where you get the plastic/plexiglass for this. Can you tell me again where you got it. The stuff to make the recessed ring.

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys.

1. no spare hehe...

2. pod is attached via 10 screws and speed clips at vital locations. they go from the back side into the pod, so there is no screws protroducting into the door card cavity area.

3. i get "low heat plastic" from selectproducts.com

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Simplicityinsound....I hate your build logs. I hate that you guys have such great work that it inspires me to try the same thing, to terrible results. I hate that you make it look so easy. Your build logs are easy to follow, detailed and polished. Great job on this; hope the guy was happy. I hope one day my woodworking/glassing/fabrication skills get half as good.

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just curious, is there a AAA equivalent in ukraine? road side assistance?

my stance here has always been, around town, AAA card and can of fixaflat, on trips, throw the spare in the trunk, it would still take up less room than having a full system above the floor (not counitng tiny amps or hwat not hehe)

i also dont like to do movable amp racks, with all its wiring etc...

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simplicityinsound....I hate your build logs. I hate that you guys have such great work that it inspires me to try the same thing, to terrible results. I hate that you make it look so easy. Your build logs are easy to follow, detailed and polished. Great job on this; hope the guy was happy. I hope one day my woodworking/glassing/fabrication skills get half as good.
ummm....thhhhaanks? ;) i guess? haha

oh there is no us "GUYS", its just me and my two hands hehe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts