DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

2007 Acura TL type S build

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  xxx_busa 
#1 · (Edited)
2007 Acura TL type S - PHASS 3 way Active

It started with a dynaudio setup and Polk Momo amps, Its was decent but being a longtime Home Audio 2 channel psycho I am, It was only the start of the revolution of different amps and line drivers and processors, After the Polk Momo amp I went through the Zapco line staring with the ref series and DC ref series. I liked the Dynaudio drivers, But, I was looking for a little more. So as the progression of my car goes, I've settled with TRU amp and the PHASS drivers, The Phass Drivers are MW6512ALN mid bass, Midrange DTM25, Tweeters AT28evo, The midbass & the tweeter are Alnico drivers and come from a small company in Japan, Some of the most Musical drivers I've ever had or Listened to. I have a Matt R line Driver and Zapco DSP6 with all the mods Matt does including an ultra low jitter oscillator and a hand made shunt type power supply. The DSP has absolutely amazing synergy with the TRU Billet - 4100 stage IV & Billet 2200 stage IV amp. I'm using a factory H/U and for the short term I very satisfied with its performance. Its not the easiest car to change H/U's. For the SUB - powering a Morel Ultimo SC12 2 ohm is a Zapco DC ref 1100.1. I'd like to thank all the Guy's on the Board I've met with and talked Audio, Matt R for the line driver & DSP6. Bing for the work on the A-Pillars, all the SoCal gtg guy's and most of all the BUZZMAN, The mass amount of time and tuning, THANK YOU

First Install - Momo-Amps

Fronts Dynaudio

Dynaudio - rearshelf

Bings Work

PHASS A Pillars

phass mid&tweet

Trunk

TRU B4100S-IV & B2200S-IV - Zapco 1100.1

Sub Morel Ultimo

I will be either putting all the components in the spare well or building an amp rack beneath the rear shelf, The TV stand in the trunk is only a temporary addition and will soon be changed to something more appealing.

See less See more
#5 ·
wow..uhm...well...yeah i dont like it sorry man. i know negative feed back isnt great but i just dont get what your doing here, none of your driver placments make sens, you could of put the tweeter in that stock location, you could of put those mids in pods if you wnated to a pillars. i dont get why the rears with such high end drivers. i just dont see the desired destination in the build friend. hope thats helpful :) but if not, sorry for the negative feed back :(

#8 ·
My apology, I should have been clearer, the Polk Momo & Dynaudio 362 front / 340 rear with control handled by 360.2, was my first step into car audio 2 year ago. I've never had any interest in car audio until the past several years. So I tried the dynaudio, It was the eastest best quality I knew of. It could be purchased relatively fast and easy. I found a new & a used set for very few dollars. The system currently in the car is PHASS 3 way front stage, And TRU - Amp's, with DSP6, Morel Sub, & the Zapco DC 1100.1.

#6 ·
I think if you read into the thread, busa has decided to make the setup a bit more simple by dumping the rear and going with a better planned front stage. I do have to agree that the original three way rear firing of the glass was at the bitter end of overkill. Glad to see that you have changed your process.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the Phass gear. You say they are the cats ass, but what made you decide to go with them in the first place? What did you audition them up against?..That is alot of coin to spend on something without really having the opportunity to do some head to head testing.

Anyways, please do not take any of this as negative...Keep the photos coming....

#9 ·
I've listened to Focal, Dynaudio, Morel, Scanspeak setups, and the Seas, all prior to jumping in and buying the Phass gear. First I was only going to replace the dynaudio 142 & 140's. But decided after getting a demo in Don's Benz to change the complete system.

What I hear with the Phass Drivers? Micro-Dynamics, Dimension, Personality, warmer and yet more musical, I know that sounds silly, But its the little nuances in the music, I just don't hear with most gear in car audio. Is it the Amps? the power arrangement? speaker drivers?, I think its the lo-voltage power management. And controlling that circuit to proper amplification. And then passing that signal to drivers or output that MOVES YOU. Protection of that voltage is the most important thing in Car Audio. That's My Thought. Would it work with other products mentioned? maybe. I just felt and heard something with the PHASS driver I still haven't heard with other drivers. They lack the edge and harness of being overly bright and just plain sterile or fatiguing. I find myself frequently listening and repeating riff's and vocal passages with amazement. Is it me? maybe, But I fell pretty confident about it being the "cat ass". My reference 2 channel home system is my base. Are there better - for-sure naturally.

My install did not show the midbass drivers, this is a stock photo. My trunk will be re done first of next year.
And I'll add door pics of the midbass drivers in position. And more details behind the carpet and plastic.

More updates to follow

#11 ·
Nice setup Busa. Trying to figure out how I'm going to arrange my amps and processor right now also. Any idea's what you're going to do?

#15 · (Edited)
I knew if I included Phase 1 Phase 2 Phase 3 This would be a waist of XXX time

DYNAUDIO ESOTEC IS COMPLETELY GONE,
I NOW HAVE A 3 WAY PHASS FRONT STAGE ONLY !!!

So these are the Drivers now installed in an active front 3 way stage only.

The Mid-basses are in the Doors and the Midrange & Tweeter is on the Pillar,

#18 ·
the rings on the mounting is just so out of place, looks out of place, you should of recessed them. but pretty good work none the less. again, not being negative, just feedback. it may indeed look better in person :) i imagine it does, they always do.

#25 ·
I ran a few Hi-Rez DVD-A's some really complex stuff and a few I know real when, The Getz,Gilberto instruments & vocals didn't budge. Actually eyes closed and cranked up a bit - A little HeadFI experience. HD-Tracks are really sweet, I totally recommend for testing and listening.

#23 ·
Sorry about that, Guess I'll buy a membership and clean it up...... I 'm really happy with the Morel Ultimo its the 2ohm version, Its has plenty of juice, The box is 1.2 with about a half gallon of activated carbon to increase volume. Having the correct box volume is key.

#24 ·
Hey Mark, good to see your enjoying your system!!!!! You've definately assembeled some pretty insane equipment.

I'm interested in that mid, can you post a link to the specs? I cant read them above and I looked for them with no luck.

I've always followed the guideline of "if you don have anything good to say, dont say anything at all". I've seen alot of install work that isnt to my taste but I would never knock someone else's work just because I think I could do a better job. This car is pretty obviously the learning bed for Marks car audio experience. Lets not discourage him!!

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.