DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it's time to start showing my progress of my system cleanup. My original intent was to just do some wire cleanup and build an amp rack, but has now turned into a new system build. A lot of the work has already been completed, but i'm going to start displaying the progress from the start.

I ended up going for a 3-way front stage, a new amplifier and a processor, all of which were not in my original plan.

These are some of the changes I have made thus far as well as my future goals:

1. Wiring - I was using the OEM speaker wire in my doors and also tapping into my OEM amplifier's wiring. All new wiring will be used, wrapped in TechFlex and properly secured to the floor of my car. All wiring behind my headunit will also be cleaned up.
2. Sound Deaden and Sound Proof - I had already added a few sheets of Dynamat to my 4 doors and part of my trunk. The new plan was to fully seal my doors, floor, trunk and roof with sound deadener and Dynaliner.
3. 3-way - I had 2-way components in the front and rear which caused some serious staging issues. I'm now going with a 3-way front stage.
4. Kickpanels - Custom kickpanels are to be made for my 4" Utopias.
5. Tweeter pods - Custom tweeter pods on my a-pillars are the plan. The stock tweeter location is too harsh for my Focal's. Plus, i'd like to push the tweeters further up.
6. Trunk space - A custom fiberglass enclosure and a false floor is to be built to give an OEM look. I'm not a fan of LED's or flashiness.
7. Sound quality - Now that I have the bit-one, i'll be able to properly tune my system.

Bear with me as I have a lot of photos to organize and upload. I'm hoping to update this thread frequently. This project really got carried away, but i'm enjoying it so far!

MY EQUIPMENT:

Headunit:
Kenwood DNX8120

Processor:
Audison Bit-One

Front Stage:
Focal K2P 6 1/2" midbass
Focal TN52 tweeters
Focal 4" Utopia midrange

Rear Stage:
None

Subwoofer:
JL Audio 12w6v2

Amplifiers:
Audison 5.1k for highs, midrange and low end
JL 300/4 bridged for midbass (to be upgraded to an Audison 2.9)

The Car:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Subscribing. Getting out of hand? LOL.. That's normal for car audio. Interested on what you did with your kicks..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Off

The first step was ripping apart the interior to start removing the existing wiring and start the sound deadening process. I replaced all RCA cables and wiring.

I'm keeping my existing DNX8120, but a lot of cleaning up needs to be done with the wiring.

The doors already has some Dynamat Extreme, but a lot more will be added

For the speaker baffles, I used the OEM speaker mounts, cut out the stock speakers and modified the baffles to fit the larger Focal speakers. These will still need to be modified to provide a tighter seal and less vibration.

Removing the seats and door panels. There is a sheet or two of Dynamat behind the foam cover on the doors, soon to be fully sealed.

Trunk wiring is a mess.

I previously tapped into the rear amplifier wires instead of running new wiring. This will be put back to normal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting Off

The trunk will also have sound deadener and Dynaliner added. It's pretty bare now.

The only Dynamat that was added to the trunk was under the spare wheel.

The back deck will also receive treatment

The JL Audio box will be replaced by a custom fiberglass enclosure. I'm doing away with the capacitor. You can see how I previously mounted the amps, this will also be fixed. I had a 500/1 for my sub, which has now been replaced with an Audison 5.1k.

Just the start of things to come

·
Registered
64 Posts
nice car, nice prokect. i'm subscribed!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day 2

Next up was sound deadening the trunk and trunk lid. I'll be adding the Dynaliner later in the process.

Isopropyl Alcohol was used to wipe down all areas I was applying the deadening to remove any oils. This will provide a nice bond to the metal. The 120 degree Phoenix heat doesn't hurt either :D

Done with the trunk lid

I also got inside of the lid as much as my hands could fit

And back together

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 2 continued

Now for the trunk. This Dynamat was already added about a year ago on my first build. Time to add to it

The is the left cubby where my newly constructed subwoofer enclosure will reside

A few hours later:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Now that's what I like to see, a couple of deadener pics. Way to not go overboard with 500 pictures of deadener. Job well done too. MORE MORE MORE!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
So what's next?

Sent from Verizon Thunderbolt

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what's next?

Sent from Verizon Thunderbolt
I'm moving onto the cabin. I have to remove the seats, center console and carpeting, then a lot of prepping for Dynamat on the floor. I also picked up a bunch of Raammat since it seemed to get some good reviews around here.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulling Interior

Next up was pulling out the seats, console and carpet. Radio removed, lots of wiring to clean up

Seats are out

Onto the console

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pulling Interior continued

Now for the carpet

The remote wire and RCA's will now be run down the center of the floor

You can see all the wires that were previously shoved under the carpet. Gotta clean up this mess!

The 4 gauge power wire is to be replaced by 0 gauge. Also notice the wire harness bracket. This is going to be relocated to fit my custom kickpanels.

RCA's are being replaced by KnuKonceptz

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More Dynamat

Moving onto adding sound deadener to the cabin floor

I ran out of Dynamat Extreme, so I went for the cheaper Raammatt. It's much more flexible, but also a lot messier to work with. Not good when working in extreme heat, but the good part is that it sticks to the metal better.

Dynamat Extreme on top, Raammatt on the bottom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dynamat cont'd

I love the way Audi keeps their wiring nice and tidy. This make it easy to run new wires under the carpet. Just have to move it out of the way for more sound deadener.

Behind the glovebox

And the driver's side

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Speaker grill

Now that my hands are full of cuts, it's time to take a break. 2 of my door speaker grills were cracked which caused an annoying rattle anytime music was played. The grills are plastic welded on, so I had to first drill out the welds:

Here's the back of the grill after being removed

Door panel sans-grill

I taped on the new grill nice and tight

New plastic pins showing through

I then took a cheap soldering iron to melt the pins onto the door panel

No more rattles!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Door skin

Back at it. I added more deadener to the rear doors. Since I removed my rear speakers, I just covered over the speaker hole. I previously had Focal 165VR's which I did not care for. I also wanted a front-stage setup anyway. Both the inner and outter door skins were treated.

This is the front door that I 'treated' a year ago.

And after

All doors are finished at this time.

Since i'm relocating my tweeter from the doors to my a-pillars, the tweeter wires need to be cleaned up.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts