DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got started on my build. Thanks to everyone for providing the wealth of information found on this site! I've learned more in the last 6 months than I ever thought possible.

The car is a 2007 Mercedes C230 Sport. It's my daily driver so I'm not looking to go too crazy with it. The plan is to install my current mish-mosh of gear in a passive setup, then, after acquiring the new stuff that I have my eye on, change everything around.

My long term goal is to reallocate the 450.2 into midbass duty, unbridge the 450.4 and use it for mid/tweeter duty and buy a new sub amp (I've got a friend with mint PPI A1200 and A404 that I want!). Then mount new tweeters in the A pillars, 4" midrange in the dash pod that Mercedes was nice enough to include, and 8" mid bass in the doors. The 8's will take a little work, but I'm thinking it will be pretty easy to accomplish. The DIYMA R12 I currently have will keep its home.

Current Gear:
Alpine CDA-9857
iPod nano (4th gen)
RF punch 450.2 (~450W Rms bridged mono for the DIYMA)
RF punch 450.4 (~225W Rms bridged for the Focals)
Focal Access 6.5" components
DIYMA-R12 (trying both sealed and vented to see what I prefer)
Kicker 1/0 power and ground
Kicker 4 gauge from dist. to amps
Kicker 4 gauge for the big 3
Monster RCA's
Monster 14 gauge speaker wire

Pictures of the car and install to follow shortly...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Center counsel for the iPod...

Mercedes has one of the most advanced center counsel designs I've ever seen. They even included places that were specifically designed to hold zip ties.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaker baffles...

Based on what I learned from this initial speaker replacement I think I might be able to get 8's behind the factory grills without modding the door panel at all.

Old Vs New

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad I'm doing this install the way that I am, easy first, then upgrades. This method gives me the opportunity to learn about this cars build and spaces that you can't see unless it's apart. Example, I have a huge space under the front section of passenger area carpet. I haven't had the driver’s side carpet out yet, but if I have a similar space on that side, I could probably fit some thin mount 10's in there! I have almost 6” of mounting depth on the passenger side, plus their is a metal foot brace that I could use as a template for a baffle then glass the back of and make the unit into an enclosure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are your thoughts on mounting a pair of 3" or 4" mids in this dash location? If the tweets were mounted in the A pillars?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, I still have a lot to do and very little time to actually work on the car...their will be more to come very soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got around to uploading a picture of the car that I'm working on...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since all I have to work with right now are my RF punch amps, I figured I might as well use the remote knobs that they came with. It's a small update but it's something none the less. I'll have more progress in the coming weeks. My goal is to finish this before I leave for Florida May 20th. I've got a lot left so that is going to be tough. My sub enclosure and amp rack are built and ready to be installed, those pictures will be following shortly.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice work man. What suburb do you live in?

·
Registered
539 Posts
oh ok cool. I'd love to hear that Diyma 12 if you got it running.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's looking good. Personally I like a single center speaker.
So you're thinking a single midrange in the factory center dash location would blend well with a-pillar mounted tweets and 8" midbass in the doors? Do you find that you can get better imaging with a single speaker in that type of location?

If you could expand on any previous experience with a similar setup that would be great. This is an interesting idea because it would allow me to use a 5.25" or even a 6.5" midrange allowing for a little greater depth in frequency range. Would this make for a difficult blend with the tweets? How would you recommend hooking up this single midrange? If I were using a 4 channel amp, would you say channels 1 & 2 for the tweets and then bridge 3 & 4 to the mid?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh ok cool. I'd love to hear that Diyma 12 if you got it running.
Not running in the car yet. All I've done so far is run some test tones through it connected to my house sub amp. I wanted to start the break in process, and more so because I was dying to hear something come out of this 40lbs sub....

1 ft3 (net) sealed, 30Hz, ~200W shook my house pretty good and I heard nothing but pictures and glassware rattling. The driver was transparent. I was pretty impressed for just messing around

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice. I can't wait to hear it in the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts