DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Build log for 2006 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab

Over the years I have installed a couple stereos in cars, a couple car alarms and 2 boat systems. But, I have never taken the upholstery out and spent the time to sound deaden the interior of a car vehicle so this is a learning experience.

This build is a pretty basic build. My goal is to have a decent sounding system and a quieter running truck. My biggest challenge is that I tend to overdo what I need to do. I am trying to keep this build balanced, as opposed to what I put into our boat which was just a bit overboard from a fab standpoint. That's posted in this forum as well.

Pioneer deck AVH-P4200 – already installed.
Viper 5902 Remote Start – to be installed.
2 Kicker ZX650.4 leftover from boat build.
MM 6501 in the front doors.
2 Boston G1 10” Subs under back seat.

Earlier this year I installed the deck and have been using it to run the stock speakers. Time to complete the project.

Started by pulling out the seats, carpet and trim. I work alone so things take me a little longer. My son is not old enough to help me pull seats out, but he does a great job picking up loose change we find under the seats. Pulled the carpet and pad out as well. Used the back of the truck and the garage to store those parts.

My helper as I pull the interior

Getting the tools and equipment into the truck.

Scuffed the back wall where I am gluing the amp rack.

Next up was the Raammat BXT2. I about about 55 square feet initially, but as is the case, I have decided to do more sound deadening. It’s just easier to do it now than wish I would have done it later. I started on the back wall of the truck, up at the window and worked my way down. I used larger pieces where I could then filled in with smaller pieces, sometimes scrap and sometimes cut to fit.

Started at the top and worked my way down.

Then I worked myself all the way to the outside edges.

On the back wall, you will notice some areas not cover. That is where I am gluing the amp rack to the wall. I premarked those areas and scuffed them up then left them clean,
Took me two partial days to get this far. Partly because I am new to this and partly because I have to keep an eye on my son while he is playing out front. I am using a small roller, some soft bondo spreaders, scissors and knife as tools.

Tonight, after my little one goes to sleep, I will start on the floor. Should go much quicker as there are fewer curves, etc.

I will also be covering everything with ensolite. I haven’t decided if I am doing 1 layer or 2 on the floor. 1 should be enough, but it’s not that much more to do a second layer and I really don’t want to pull the interior out again.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Is it a 2006 or 2007....not that it makes a difference....looks like you are off to a nice start

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will be slow going as other things get in the way. Haven't decided if I am going to do the roof or not, but will have to make up my mind shortly as I need to order more raammat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not much of a chance to work on the truck this week. Son had surgery on Tuesday. It went well, but he needed to be inside for a few days and I was taking care of him so that means I stayed inside.
Today, I was able to get out of the house and do some work on the truck. Got the roof 75% done. I haven’t stayed true to the 25% coverage theory. It is what it is. On the roof, the large flat panels all got a single layer. I am spot filling some of the smaller areas, but not doing complete coverage. I’ll then cover with CCF and put the liner back up.

You will notice up over the driver’s seat there is a tile missing. I was doing some work the other night and when I got done, I noticed moisture on the underside of the tiles and found that the cold air with me working in the cab created some condensation. I took that tile off and will be replacing it just to be sure I did not trap any moisture in there. Don’t want any rust issues or the tile failing at some point.
On a side note, when I pull the dash out I am going to replace some of the bosch relays with some of these. I took a micro relay, soldered on the leads and encased them in epoxy. They are about half the size of a bosch relay and since I have 2 wired into my stereo, it will save some room and should make it easier.

I am trying to decide where to buy MLV. As we all know, shipping is expensive. But, I can’t find it locally and have not heard back from Don on a shipping quote. I plan to start with MLF on the back wall, the floor and up to the foot well to block the substantial noise coming from under the truck.

Not too exciting, but making some progress. I better hurry up though as we will be moving soon and I need to at least get the stuff installed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a place in south San Francisco that sells mlv by the roll. The company is called bay area noise control, it may be an option for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made some more progress today on the roof. As of now, the tiles are done on the roof. I will be adding the closed cell foam tomorrow and putting the headliner back into place. That should allow me to make some great headway into the floor.

On the roof, the flat parts got a complete layer. Around the edges and on some of the bracing I used pieces to break it up and help with the deadening. I figured there was no point in going to town with the deadener on those other areas. The only other thing I am considering doing is using some strips of the CLD tiles to tie the supports into the roof panel. In essence, dampening any resonance that could be created. I will also be adding some extra closed cell foam in some of the cavities.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Nice work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was able to spend the afternoon making some progress. Taped up the seams of the CLD tiles with aluminum tape and added a little more deadening to a couple areas on the roof.
Then it was on to the CCF. On one side it is pretty easy to work with, on the other hand, everything is a pain when working in confined spaces. I started by covering the large areas with full pieces and then filling in the other areas. There are some areas that look good and some that don’t. But, it is all going to be covered so as long as I can get the pieces back on I should be fine. Should have it wrapped up tomorrow after I put down the rest of the foam and get the headliner in place.
Some more deadener in a few key areas.

Started adding the foam.

Doesn’t look as good as I would have liked.

Finish up roof tomorrow, then it will be back to the floor which should go pretty quick . Tomorrow I am also going to call some local places and see if I can find MLV. Someone has to carry it locally which will save on shipping.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update. I found the MLV locally, kind of. It's in San Francisco. The good news is my buddy is there right now and coming back up tonight so he is picking up a 100 sqft roll for me. I'll order the HH66 from Don and should be ready to do the MLV when it gets here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made some nice progress today on the roof. Got the CCF put in throughout the roof and put the headliner back in place. I did some of the pillar work, but have more to do. MLV will be here tomorrow and HH66 will be here later in the week.

Shaved off a nice chunk of skin. Just enough to make it sensitive and a little bit of blood. A millimeter more and it would have been much more painful.

Covered the center pillars before reinstalling the headliner.

Where the console goes in the roof.

The pics aren’t all that exciting, but it is nice to be making some progress. Tomorrow I will CCF the other pillars and install the CLD tiles on the floor.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Why did you use CCF on the roof?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts