86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my current set up includes the following
Mid bass: Dayton Audio rs180p
Highs: Kenwood KFC x3c
Source: Cheap Pioneer head unit
Processor: Minidsp 6x8
Amp: JL RD900/5 75x4 500x1
Also have an old crossfire vr404 if I go to a 3 way.
Sub: JL 10w6v3 HO sub/box

I have a pair of Vifa xt25sc tweeters that I have used in the past that I plan on incorporating along with some kind of midrange for a 3 way active system. I’m thinking about sticking the midrange in the dash and the tweeter on the a pillar or sail panel using a PVC cap pod. The advantage to the pillar is WAY easier to run wire. But I think it will negatively interfere with the midrange in the dash. I haven’t pulled off the a pillars to see if I could recess the pod in enough to avoid any interference. The kenwoods while OK I can only use 10 bands of eq on the coaxial. I’ve also considered a wide band mid in the dash or also in a pod. I did some searching but not as many examples on this generation of grand cherokees
Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Steering wheel
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,808 Posts
People often have significant comb filtering with a pillar installs. What is the response like from the stock dash position? You have sail panels that I would die for lol. I’d be putting in a 4”-5” midrange and tweeter in those babies 😉

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People often have significant comb filtering with a pillar installs. What is the response like from the stock dash position? You have sail panels that I would die for lol. I’d be putting in a 4”-5” midrange and tweeter in those babies 😉
The speakers in the dash are not very smooth. Some very big dips especially around where the tweeter and 3.5" crossover. But I'm not sure how much of that is the current speakers and how much is the dash/windshield. Getting 1 set of wires through the factory door boot was hard enough. I know I don't want to run 1 or even 2 into the door. If it was just 1 speaker I could potentially splice into the factory wiring.

I wish I had the time and money to build another set of sail enclosures and try these tweeterless.

Audible physics has a 3” coaxial also but they’re out of stock.
I'm interested in a wideband but these may be out of the budget.

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,808 Posts
The speakers in the dash are not very smooth. Some very big dips especially around where the tweeter and 3.5" crossover. But I'm not sure how much of that is the current speakers and how much is the dash/windshield. Getting 1 set of wires through the factory door boot was hard enough. I know I don't want to run 1 or even 2 into the door. If it was just 1 speaker I could potentially splice into the factory wiring.

I'm interested in a wideband but these may be out of the budget.
Are you familiar with parts express and madisound? They have raw driver widebands to fit every budget. I’m thinking that the windshield is responsible for the erratic response though so a wideband in the stock position will probably be the same. Nothings easy in this hobby.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Speaking of Parts Express I use those tweeters and the FaitalPRO 3FE22 plays very nice with them.

Reactions: 420tabbycat

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you familiar with parts express and madisound? They have raw driver widebands to fit every budget. I’m thinking that the windshield is responsible for the erratic response though so a wideband in the stock position will probably be the same. Nothings easy in this hobby.
Yep,I purchased the Daytons and Vifas from there. I was looking at the rs100 or rs75 but they’re on back order currently.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cute little things…too bad they sent the 8ohm version when the listing said 4ohm. I’m afraid if I send them back it will be over a month before I can get them. Their on back order at PE. Any harm in running 8 ohm? The amps I would run would be 50wrms 4ohm or 75
Font Rectangle Material property Brand Paper

Hand Automotive tire Camera lens Rim Lens

1 - 11 of 11 Posts