DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share my Hummer H3 install.

Nakamichi CD400
Zapco SP4-SL
JL Audio HD900/5
Focal 165 VR3
Focal Utopia 27WX

Head Unit/ EQ: I chose the Nak CD400 and Zapco SP4 over a Pioneer P99 or Clarion 9255 strictly based on the fact I do not like scrolling through a bunch of digital menus to adjust the sound. It's quick, simple and I still get a good sounding source unit, a 4 band eq with sub control.

Front stage:: I decided on the Focal 165VR3 simply because I like the way they sound for well under $1000. Fiberglass A-Pillars, if done perfectly, would probably look better but I wanted to try something different. I used 2 PVC pipe end caps ( mid/tweet ) and customized them a bit to accommodate the speakers. A bit of sanding/paint and then I fastened them together using a hollow threaded rod ( to run wires through ). The fun part was using Ram Mounts to install them to the vehicle. Ram Mounts have a ton of different options. Not your average plastic garbage mounts. Great Made in the USA products! The H3 has a huge, flat dash so I went with 2 suction cup windshield mounts with short arms. I had to permanently attach a 1" rubber ball to the back of the pods. With a few quick disconnects on the wires and complete swivel capabilities, I can easily direct the sound wherever I want and even remove the pods completely if needed. I put the mid-bass in the factory location in the doors.

Subwoofer: I've been wanting to try this sub for a long time. I finally got my hands on two of them. As much as I wanted to build an enclosure in the sidewall, I was set on using the Focal Utopia sub. Unfortunately, it requires at least 40 liters of air space ( 1.42 cu. ft. ). So, I took a hit on the cargo space and rolled with a simple box for now. It is an amazing sub and blends with the front stage beautifully. It's by far the best "sounding" subwoofer I've ever owned.

Amp: One reason I went with the JL HD900/5 was based on the power output ( 150x2 @ 4ohm for front stage and 500x1 @ 4 ohm for the sub. Both exactly double the RMS on the speakers for a little headroom ). It also had good reviews and most importantly it was the only amp that would fit in the little cargo cubby AND provide the right power output. I even had just enough space to put the crossovers on a little shelf above the amp. No more 0 gauge wire and distribution clutter.

It was a fun install and I am rewarded with a solid, super clean sound. A nice bonus to this build is the only holes drilled into the vehicle were inside the cubby for the amp wiring and mounting.

Thanks for looking! First time I ever posted an install online. Check out the pics, I'd love to hear some feedback or criticism.

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Very cool idea!!! I think that it goes well with the H3 industrial look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also in the process of swapping all the chrome wheels, door handles, etc. for all black.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I think this was a great idea.. Which RAM mount did you use?

·
Registered
840 Posts
i agree with everyone else, very creative and it works well in the h3!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. You'll have to look at the pic on my post and check out their site. Been a while and I don't remember exact model #'s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in the process of building an enclosure to perfectly fit behind the back seat. 6 mo. later and I'm finally getting rid of the pre-fab box. I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Those simple pods look good in there. They definitely suit the chunky interior styling. I like. Black on black is always a good choice. I've got some green pinstripes and accents on my car too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts