DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Been lurking on here, checking out some of the incredible builds and wealth of info! Looking for assistance with my set up. Initially I purchased a mono amp and sub, with the goal of giving it some low end. However, I took it all back exchanged it for a 5 channel Alpine (MRX-V70) with the goal of better SQ.

What I have purchased:
Alpine MRX-V70 60x4 and 250x1
Focal P165V30
PAC LOC (Mazda specific harness)
and was given a free kicker comp vr 10in (circa 2002)

Still to be purchased:
4 gauge amp kit
sound dampening
rear speakers?

The plan:
Use the factory deck (want to retain all OEM functions)
Speakers to be installed in factory location
Clean sound as possible with a decent bottom end (will be building a sealed enclosure for the sub)
The factory h/u will input direct into the LOC and then I will run the amp back into the factory wiring harness for the speakers

Questions:
The Alpine puts out 60x4 with 250W on the sub channel. For the Focal speakers, would it be best to bridge the 4 channels to 2 @ 180W with the gains turned down and run the rears off the factory deck? Can the Focals handle that power? Or should I get some rear speakers and run 60x4?
My year of Mazda does not have the power mirrors so tweeters into the sails is a no go. Would up on the doors be the next best alternative?

Question for the future - should I start planning to integrate a bit 10 or 360.3 to really get the best out of the limited factory deck.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Probably a little late, but...
I'd suggest going active on the front only with the four amp channels, using a 3sixty.3. Mount the tweets in the sail panels like the factory did, but on axis. You'll need to attack the Moldex connector any way you slice it as the stock speaker wiring is wimpy. Mount the amp under the drivers seat and pass the power thru the secret hole in the firewall next to the gas pedal. Deaden the doors and especially the roof. Look for my posts over on mazda3forums for more details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too late, thanks for the reply....mojo, it was your box build on the mazda3 forum that had me inspired to get back into car audio...small world! I'm going to try running passive to start. Unfortunately I have manual mirrors so no go on the sail panel. Could I flush mount the tnb tweeter in the a pillars? Thanks for the input on wiring as well, will be tackling the molex soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts