DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy Folks!

I just acquired a 2007 Tundra DC SR5. Nice truck. But, Man does that stereo suck!

Time for another build. I've still got most of the gear that I pulled outta my 2001 Chevy. It'll get me started.

CURRENT EQUIPMENT:
Kenwood Excelon KDC-997X
Dayton DSP-408
JL Slash 300/4 ( Mids & Highs )
JL Slash 300/2 ( Mid-Basses )
JL Slash 1000/1 ( Sub )

FRONT 3-WAY
Dayton Audio ND28F-6
Dayton Audio RS100-4
Dayton Audio RS225-4 ( Didnt work )

Buying Now:
2x Dayton Audio RS100P-4
2x Dayton Audio RS225-4
2x Dayton ND28F-6

AD W800Neo's

Future Purchases:
Dayton DSP-408
Another JL 300/4

Subs...

So, there is the info. Lets get started on the fun part!
I was off today and got to get started on it. I'm happy with the progress and how its looking so far.
Pics in Attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More work to be done tomorrow.

I just found out my RS100P's are delayed in shipping. I had to order from Amazon since Parts Express is sold outta EVERYTHING. Lemme know what ya'll think. I'll be back when I have some more done.

Thanks for looking!
-Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
26 Posts
I really need to learn how to do this. It's very much what i want to do in my own truck for the dash.
How did you chose the speaker angle?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
really need to learn how to do this. It's very much what i want to do in my own truck for the dash.
How did you chose the speaker angle?
It is the maximum angle I could get. If you look close at the pods, there is a flat on the top of the speaker ring. That is because the top of them basically touch the windshield.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, today was definitely not the "fun" part. Although I don't know may people who think working with fiberglass is "fun". I added the pocket for magnet clearance to the pods and put a layer of chop mat on the inside and a layer of glass cloth on the outside. I am waiting for that to dry so I can slather some body filler on them.

My RS100P-4's got lost in the mail. That was that sellers only set. I guess i'm gonna have to eBay them.

Anyway, here are today's photos.

Sheba is wondering why I just put something down in her spot. She is VERY confused

The popsicle sticks are a "model" of the RS100. To check for clearance and such

Yes, my paper tube is made out of a Dayton spec sheet... it was the only piece of paper that was handy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got some Bondo on 'em. Yes, they still fit after the magnet clearance pocket. Albeit, it is a VERY tight fit getting them into the hole. I have to flex the dash a little bit. One they are in place though there is no pressure on them and they rest about 1/8" below the windshield. I was originally going to use some 1/4" neoprene foam to isolate them from the dash plastic. I think I'm going to want to get some thinner neoprene. I bet I've got some 1/16" around here somewhere. I only had to trim minor amounts of plastic from the dash. Trimmed areas are underneath the factory grill/ New Pod location. I had to trim about a quarter inch from the aft side of the original speaker cutout. Nothing is destroyed. Factory speakers can be re-installed. But, the drivers side is missing one of its mounting holes. The factory mount point is still there. I had to cut half of it away. The original speaker "tab" still has a bit of a ledge to sit on if need be. Anyway, I spent 20 minutes with some high tack tape pulling fiberglass off of my hands. Fun stuff. Every time I get the urge to do this I think that it will, for some reason, be easier than the last time...

My RS100P-4's that I ordered are officially lost in the mail. I got a refund and found a set of RS100-4 on Meniscus Audio. I wanted the paper cone. But, I guess we will see how the aluminum cone sounds.

My G/F is being very patient with me on this project. She hasn't complained once about the dust or smells I keep bringing into the apartment. :cool:

Anyone have any advice for a tweet? I have done builds with the RST28F and LOVED it. Sadly, I can't find a good spot for such a large tweet. And I don't think I want a 4"+ Tweet hanging off my sail panel...
Has anyone used the ND28F-6?
Or how about the AN25F-4?
If you didn't read my original post, My front sound stage is 3-way and I'm going to have RS225-4's in the doors.

By the way, I AM a Dayton fanboy. I am wanting to stay with Dayton. But, it is not a must. I just cant spend a fortune on this build. I have many other obligations to take care of before I can justify spending much.

A few Update Photos:

After first pass of body filler. It was only a light skim coat. Btw, these will be covered in vinyl fabric to match the dash color/ texture.I have a sample of this material on its way for me to make sure.

Thanks for looking'

More to come...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I haven't done much this morning. But, I did measure the volume. They are both right around .5 Liters. Should do fine for my use. Here is the crossover points I've calculated for a starting point:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Whew! Done with that part.

I'll post some "in Truck" Pics after the 6 coats of paint really cures.

Well, that's it for now. I'll be back next week when I start the doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have made a few dash pods before and have great respect for the effort you put in here. These look great.

Reactions: JaySea20

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alright guys. I have a small update. The grills came in and fit perfect. I also ordered the vinyl fabric to wrap them in. they are going to go silver to match the dash accents. I also have photos of the tweeter placement I'm gonna go with. Tweet will be Dayton ND28F-6

Any thoughts on the tweet placement?

-Jay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got some work in this weekend. Tweet pods are done.
I didnt include as many photos of the process. If your curious, check the above posts for the Mid pods. I followed the same process. Except I used panty hose for the first layer instead of a piece of thermal underwear. It took a bit more care. But, it didn't add any buildup around the edges that I had to trim off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice work. What are you using to attach your tweeter pods to the door card?
EDIT: This is what I used to mount them. It is a acrylic adhesive tape. Very thin, VERY sticky. The paper backing is still on it in this photo:

I work in the plastics division of a Sign Manufacturing shop. So, I have access to a range of permanent and semi-permanent adhesives that will do the job.
If I didn't have access to those adhesives, I would probably glue a nut to the inside of the pod, Drill a matching clearance hole in the door panel and screw it from the inside of the panel.
I plan on using a 3M Laminating film that is considered permanent.
This is my playground from 8-5:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Most days I really feel like its a privilege to get to work there. I enjoy it immensely. We are a custom sign shop. So, I get to make many different kinds of products. Nothing is standard off the shelf. We have to figure out how to make pretty much everything. It is very fun to me.

Btw, I have public models of both the mid and tweet baffle that I made. I routed mine out of 1/2" Black PVC Sheet Stock. But, they would probably be good for 3D printing as well. They are available at OnShape:
Tweet Baffle
Mid Baffle

They are made to work with these grills available on Amazon:
3" Grill
4" Grill

-Jay

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got my HU installed. I am very impressed with the rs100's. They really sound good in sealed pods. Even off of the HU. I will be getting the amps installed this week. Tweets and rs225's will also be here this week. I started on the sound deadening of the doors. It ended up taking about 25 sqft for just one layer on all metal surfaces for one door. (Inside of outside, outside of inside, inside of inside. I will be covering the large holes with .080" aluminum. I have the before photos now. I will take after photos when I get done. (Should be tomorrow)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a JL 300/2v1 for $165 +shipping. This will be perfect for the mid-basses.
Dayton DSP-408's are back in stock. So, I have one on the way.
I also got the Baffles started.
Hopefully, I will have the RS225's mounted this weekend.

Btw, If anyone wants the vector file for the baffles, let me know.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts