DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my brother in law just got an 08 HHR and wants me to do the audio work for him. I ordered a bunch of parts already but still working on things a bit and I have a few questions. First I'll post what I've purchased for the install.

Eclipse AVN6620 7" Touchscreen Navigation Head Unit
Eclipse Bluetooth module
Eclipse iPod interface
Eclipse Rear View Camera

DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 3 way speakers

DIYM 12" Sub (I have 2 of them but plan on only using 1)

Alpine PDX 1.600 Amp for sub
Alpine PDX 2.150 Amp for speakers

I also grabbed an HHR mounting bracket, wiring harnesses and 100sq ft of sound deadening material.

Since this car has On Star I had to get an adapter for it as well although it really makes my job easier as it has all the navigation wires on it :) I grabbed an Axxess On Star adapter for GM cars.

I bought a kit I found on ebay that comes with a 1.2F cap and some distribution blocks and what not. It comes with some RCA's but I'm going to buy some shielded monprice RCA's instead. This is one of my questions how long do you think the RCA's need to be to put the amps in the back? We're going to remove all the interior and put down the sound deadener so the wires will need plenty of slack to tuck away. Also do you think 100sq ft of sound deadener is going to be enough?

Now some info on the install? We're going to do a custom fiberglass box for the sub that will hoepfully be molded into the side of the HHR in the back. I'm not sure about speaker pods in the doors. I think I'm going to try and fit the mids up high on the doors. There is a tweeter already in the pilars so I may try and just stick them in there or I may build some fiberglass pods that will fit in and aim them more into the cabin. Also might make an amp rack. I have to discuss with him what he'd rather have.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok we've been working on it a good bit lately just haven't gotten around to posting the pictures. Here is the link to my album for the install and I'll be updating it from time to time.

HHR Build pictures by Dougie085 - Photobucket

They are somewhat self explanitory. There are some from when we did the head unit install and then when we changed all the LED's in the dash for the horrible green to the Blue/Red.

We started fiberglassing for the sub enclosure tonight. I have a question, do you guys do multiple layers at once or do you do a layer and let it cure and then add another? It was just getting to late and we were really tired so we just got one down for now but hopefully have time to do a couple more in the morning. We got all the wiring in for the most part expcept the power and ground wires because the battery is in the back and probably run them after we get the fiberglassing done. You can see in the fiberglass pictures the little barrier we made around the battery with a piece of MDF and come cardboard. I'm very happy with the efforts so far. The resin is take a bit longer then it should to setup but I'm pretty sure it's because it's cooler outside now that it's in the middle of the night and there is no sun. We also got the reverse camera installed. I think the hole we made for it looks pretty good. I may have to go back in later and add some sort of gromit so it looks better.

Also an update on the equipment! I should have the Alpine PDX's sold very soon and there will be a DLS Refernce RA20 for the front stage and a DLS Ultimate A6 for the sub amp.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I finally finished putting the subs in! I know it's been a crazy long time hah! Going to start working on the speaker pods again soon. Haven't had time to do any of this until recently. The DLS 3-ways are now powered by a DLS Ultimate A3 and the DIYMA 12 is powered by the DLS RA20. Sounds pretty darn good but I know the sub needs some break-in.

Here are some pics

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First time actually making an enclosure out of fiberglass yes, I've used fiberglass to seal up standard wood boxes before.

Thanks for the compliments :) I'm pretty proud of it after it was all done. There are some small things that could of turned out better like somehow the tub got a little offset so the baffle sits a little more to the right side then on the left but other then that it fits really good.

There is a top cover that fits over the sub. I haven't decided if I'm going to just mod it so that it'll vent into the car or just cut another piece of wood to fit in there. This way he'll retain full use of his cargo area. Also we may grab an A6 or another A3 to get rid of that RA20. It just don't look right with the A3 sitting next to it lol! Definitely much cheaper build quality.

Still have to work on the speaker pods. I got them roughly done with the felt and resin but we just bought some Rage Gold to try and finish them up. This is the first time I've done pods like these. I've done tweeter flush mountings before and what not and done little kicks in the floor. We'll see how they turn out right now I'm a bit embarrassed about them but maybe they will turn out ok. Told him I kind of want to scrap the 3 ways and put in 2 ways but he said he likes them like that. With that new A3 they do sound much much better as we did have the RA20 on there and were going to get a new amp for the sub but I told him we'd just use the RA20 and get a better amp for the A3.

Edit: Oh yeah, if we do get the new A6 or another A3 we're going to redo the wiring and hide most of it. It was getting late last night (2am) and just wanted to get it done for now! lol. But with the A6/3 the wiring would be on the outside edge and I plan on hiding most of it under the box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts