DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 3 years that I've owned my Forester I've focused - primarily - on power and handling mods. It's time to replace the crappy stock sound system with some nicer components. I've started to pick-out and buy components, but there are still a few parts that I need to research and buy.

Here's my current build list.

Head Unit:
Undecided

Amp:
PowerBass ASA-600.4x 4-Channel Power Amplifier - 1600 watts

Front Tweeters:
Stock, for now...

Front Door Speakers:
Polk DB651 (Currently Installed, but I'm going to upgraded to components in the future)

Rear Door Speakers:
Polk DB521

Rear/Hatch:
Morel Maximo 6x9

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got started yesterday with some sound deadening. I'm using 1/8" and 1/4" thick adhesive-backed wool felt, and I'll probably cover that with larger pieces of foam rubber. RAAMmat or Dynamat is too difficult for me to work with, hence the alternative materials. (I'm handicapped, so I have to thoroughly plan out my materials and installation, so I can do a majority of the work) :)

Since I had the Polk coaxials I went ahead and installed them. I accidentally drained my battery enjoying the fruits of my labor. :laugh: I'll upgrade to component speakers, as soon as I have the time to gut the interior, run wires, and build an amp rack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm starting to consider sending back the PowerBass amp, in return for a Sundown SAX 100.4.

Also, any recommendations on a 6.5" component set for <$200?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm starting to consider sending back the PowerBass amp, in return for a Sundown SAX 100.4.

Also, any recommendations on a 6.5" component set for <$200?
Polk Audio MM6501 are nice. And i would consider stepping up to MM series all around. I started out with db series in front, and didnt like them. MM's are much better. i have db571s in my rear, they are fine for rears, but really lack...oompf. I will prolly swap them for mm571s soon.

Sharp car btw. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Love Foresters. My parents had an '03 XT that was a rocket. And when you get snow tires on the thing? Unstoppable in snow. No exaggeration...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Polk Audio MM6501 are nice. And i would consider stepping up to MM series all around. I started out with db series in front, and didnt like them. MM's are much better. i have db571s in my rear, they are fine for rears, but really lack...oompf. I will prolly swap them for mm571s soon.

Sharp car btw. Good luck with your build.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check them out. :) Currently the db651s are running on HU power, and - while the sound is clearer - they certainly lack umph. I suppose powering them weth an amp would help.

Love Foresters. My parents had an '03 XT that was a rocket. And when you get snow tires on the thing? Unstoppable in snow. No exaggeration...
Thanks - this is my 2nd Forester and 4th Subaru. They're great cars! Mine is pushing 342 whp (~440 crank hp) at 19 psi. When this was my daily-driver I had offroad tires and a cargo basket, and it would mob in snow. Like you said - unstoppable. The funny part is that my '91 Loyale is even better in snow. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As an engineer, I like to tinker and explore alternative solutions/methods/materials. So, a lot of the stuff in my build may include atypical means for running wires, sound deadening, etc. That said, I'm also a HUGE fan of McMaster-Carr; I usually place an order weekly for something. Sometimes it's easier to find/buy exactly what you want online, rather than perusing the local fare.

I just placed an order for 3 sheets of Sound and Vibration Damping Sheet EVA Mastic, .079" Thick, 32" X 54". Part # 9709T39. This should be plenty to do the back of the car.

It's so cherry, I just wanna lick it!
Thanks!

Beautiful car!
Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm big on stance making or breaking the look of a car and yours is excellent and complements the lines well. Just a suggestion for your speaker choices is to search here for individual home/pro audio drivers that can potentially get you better sound at cheaper prices than purchasing car audio specific packaged sets. It could be quite eye opening (was for me :D)!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Do you have a build log for all the performance goodies somewhere?
Of course! :D

Power

AMR T60R Turbo
AMR 5" FMIC
APS 3" Inlet
Cobb AccessPort
Cobb Big MAF Intake
Cobb Catted Downpipe
Cobb FXT Catback
Deatschwerks 850cc Injectors
Grimmspeed Air Oil Separator
Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
Grimmspeed Crank Pulley
Grimmspeed 3mm Phenolic Spacers
Grimmspeed 160* Thermostat
Koyo Racing Radiator
KS Tech TGV Deletes
KS Tech Secondary Air Pump Deletes
P&L Motorsports EWG Up-Pipe
Perrin FMIC Pipes
TiAL 38mm MVS External Wastegate
Turbosmart 34mm Kompact BPV
Walbro Fuel Pump

Handling

Fuji Heavy Industries Titanium Front Strut Bar
Kartboy Front & Rear Solid Endlinks
Kartboy Subframe Lock Bolts
Mo-Boost LLWS
Subaru OEM WRX 4 Piston Brakes
Stoptech Braided SS Brake Lines
Swift Lowering Springs
Swift Front & Rear Sway Bars

Interior

BAC5.2 #15 Pool Ball Shift Knob
MB Pillar Gauge Pod
Nardi 350mm Deep Corn Steering Wheel (Perf Leather)
Nardi 350mm Deep Corn Steering Wheel (Suede)
NRG Quick Steering Wheel Quick Release
Subaru OEM WRX One-piece Front Seats
Stewart Warner Boost Gauge
Works Bell Steering Wheel Hub Adapted

Exterior/Bling

C-West Hood Scoop
Subaru OEM V-Limited Front Lip
Subtle Solutions Alternator Shroud
Zero Sports Radiator Shroud

Wheels/Tires

Dunlop SP Sport 600 - 245/40/18
Prodrive PFF7 - 18x8 - et51 - Anthracite

General Exclaim UHP - 225/45/18
Prodrive P-WRC1 - 18x7.5 - et46 - Crystal Titanium

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm big on stance making or breaking the look of a car and yours is excellent and complements the lines well. Just a suggestion for your speaker choices is to search here for individual home/pro audio drivers that can potentially get you better sound at cheaper prices than purchasing car audio specific packaged sets. It could be quite eye opening (was for me :D)!
May I inquire if you have any links to products or specific models/brands that you recommends? Thanks for the suggestion! :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I tend to avoid recommending specific brands as others may not like what sounds good to me. I would start with the member review and build log sections here. Then I would look at madisound.com, zaphaudio.com, and parts express.com for speakers and reviews. Probably most important, I would suggest that you listen to as many car audio (DIY and "pro" installed) systems as you can to really get a good idea of what sq, staging, imaging, tonal balance, etc. are all about. Put out a request for listening sessions with members in your area (I did and it helped a lot). There are some great audio minds here and TONS of info to help you make informed decisions. Also: take your time with planning and execution, as excruciatingly frustrating as it may be, and you will significantly improve your odds of creating a system that not only sounds good but looks good and doesn't do a choke hold on your wallet :)!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts