DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post some pictures of my new install that I redid.

Old install was a eD Nine.5 with a 11kv.3 in the spare tire well. Since then I've replaced the Nine.5 with a Zapco 750.2 and a 350.2 and glassed in a DIYMA 12. Overall the system sounds so much better! I'd still like to redo the front and maybe 1 more amp and go active down the road, but I'm happy with it for right now!

Headunit: Factory
Equalizer: Audio Control EQX
Front: Diamond Audio 661s component set
Rear: Kicker coax
Amps: Zapco Reference 750.2 and 350.2
Subwoofer: DIYMA 12

I double stacked the amps and was able to add some fans in there as well to keep it all cool. I kept with the stealth look in the rear as well so I can keep the use of the rear cargo area. its not pictured but I have a grille piece that covers up the EQX and the Subwoofer as well.

I don't have many pictures of the other parts of the install but the mids are in factory locations in the doors and I cut the tweeters into the A pillars where the factory tweets were as well.

-Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very slick! Is that MDF on top and front and fiber on the bottom and back? How many layers? And how long does a project like that generally take?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its 3/4" mdf top and front and the rest is fiberglass think it was around 1/4" think when it was all done, not really sure how many layers it was. It was my first go with fiberglass so it took me quite a while to get it all done :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got bit again by the upgrade bug and decided to drop the tweets and go with some 3" fullrange on axis up in the pillars Love the sound of them. Of course they aren't actually stealthy up there but hopefully once they are flocked and I build the grilles for them they should blend in there a bit more. Here are a Few pictures of the updated amp rack / CD player. I'm also running full active now since I have the CD7200mkII.

Still have a bit of sanding to do and I'm just waiting on some flocking material since there is no way I'm going to try and wrap those pillars with the way I have them now should look pretty slick tho once its all done. Hope you guys like it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow man! You really did a nice job... What brand of FR 3" is that? They really match the circles for the a/c vents and gauge rings. Also, how much volume is that R12 in now?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those are the Bamboo TangBand 3". the box is the same as it was before I just redid the baffle on the top of it to Center the woofer, Its roughly a little over 1 cu ft.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Kah leaaaaan! I like it man, great job!
Tell us more about front stage, how does it all sound?
How do you plan to apply flock?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kah leaaaaan! I like it man, great job!
Tell us more about front stage, how does it all sound?
How do you plan to apply flock?
Hoping the flock is pretty easy to do actually, I've yet to do it but from the few posts/pictures I have seen here it seems pretty straight forward. apply the glue, then apply the flock? I'm planning on doing black to match the dash cover, and then paint a gloss black trim ring to match the AC vents and Gauges. Hopefully I haven't gotten over my head with this :D otherwise I'm going to be spending alot more time sanding and then painting the panels :(

Front stage is the 3" Tangband fullrange w/ Bamboo cones running off the ref350.2 and in the doors I have the ID Oems running off a bridged 300/4. This is my first system attempt at being full active, but so far I really like it alot! I have some more tuning to do, but the front sounds very natural to me without sounding stressed and overly harsh. I'm tossing around the idea of swapping out the ID OEMs for some Peerless 6.5's in the future :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have them crossed at 315hz with a 18db slope. On a side note, I just ordered up some peerless sls 6.5's to try in the doors :D

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Flock is simple to do for sure.

You paint on the undercoating they give you, and then you spray or puff the fibers into place.

Some pointers:

Don't go overboard with the undercoating - if it runs (and it can still run AFTER you apply the fibers) you get ugly spots that you can't fix.

Take your time, and let the undercoating self level for a few minutes before you apply fibers (this gives it time to make sure it won't run)

I used an undercoating gun to spray the stuff, it worked out very well just kept the compressor at low pressure.

The tube also works, and I even shook it through a sieve once.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully the stuff will be arriving either friday or saturday.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Flock is simple to do for sure.

You paint on the undercoating they give you, and then you spray or puff the fibers into place.

Some pointers:

Don't go overboard with the undercoating - if it runs (and it can still run AFTER you apply the fibers) you get ugly spots that you can't fix.

Take your time, and let the undercoating self level for a few minutes before you apply fibers (this gives it time to make sure it won't run)

I used an undercoating gun to spray the stuff, it worked out very well just kept the compressor at low pressure.

The tube also works, and I even shook it through a sieve once.
Can I use spray glue like 3M 77?

The only flock I was able to find was small cans on ebay.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Updated pictures with the Flocking all done. I can't believe how easy of a process that was!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very nice! I've been trying to think of how to add 3" to the front of my vehicle without the drivers sticking out too much. No offense to the other installers, but this one got a big thumbs up from my g/f in the "eww what are those drivers doing there" department. You wouldn't happen to have any build pictures of the pillars would you?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish I would of taken more pictures during the build process but I have a couple from my camera phone. Basically there was a thread about using the clear plastic ornament halves from craft stores for $1.99 ( the one I have near me is Michaels ) and I just glued in a wood baffle then cut the tops off. I already had holes in my pillars from the large format Morels I was running so I used the holes and just aimed the pods the way I wanted them then glassed/bondo/glued them into place. These are actually lighter then what I had in there before too which is nice.

sorry I don't have more then that tho :(

1 - 20 of 69 Posts