DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2008 Jaguar XK R that we built about a month ago for a customer of ours. It started as a single sub on the driver side, but after he saw what we did with it after beginning and hearing our vision for what we would do if it were our car, he got excited and gave us the go-ahead. Here is a list of the equipment...

Front stage: Morel Elate 5 2 way

Subs: (2) Morel Ultimo SC 10

Amps: Kenwood XR-4 bridged to deliver 300 x 2 to the Elates
Kenwood XR-1S for 700 RMS to the Ultimo 10s

Line conversion/processing: Audison Bit One

First, some pictures of the car...

First I'll start with the front stage. Nothing super fancy here, just some deadening in the door with the mid mounted in the stock location. The tweeters are in custom textured sail panels where the factory ones were housed...

For the Bit One display, a trim panel was built to house it in the ashtray...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now for the fun part, the hatch area. The idea was to keep most of the space that was there before with some extra flare, while still looking somewhat factory and bringing the outside paint color and the tan suede headliner that is visible from the back.

Molds were fabricated out of the factory panels so that there were no gaps or seams and everything ended underneath the factory boot or was hidden by other panels. Here is a shot of it in the car...

...and here is the mold...

The next pictures will show the driver instead of the passenger side enclosure being built, as that is just the way the pictures were taken...

...and jump ahead to sanded and test fitting in the car...

Then after he decided to do the whole thing, the mold was made of the factory battery cover that acted as the back wall of the trunk. Here is the mold...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...and here are all three pieces being test fit in the car...

...and now the amp rack. Sorry I don't have more pictures of the build of this piece. Note the oval hold in the center, this is where the Audison Bit One will show through...

...and being attached to the battery cover/back wall...

...and here is that piece painted, with the suede outer trim, and the amps and Bit One between them all mounted...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now here is the hatch before the transformation...

...and after!!

Well, I hope you guys like it. The customer sure did, and it sounded great. Let me know if you have any questions, just feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Any reason for the bit one other than line conversion? Since the elates are running passively? Possibly future plans for active?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any reason for the bit one other than line conversion? Since the elates are running passively? Possibly future plans for active?
Well yes and no. He is not running rears or a center right now, but I suppose one day he could and we would have the available channels. We also used it for channel summing for the active tweet/midbass/sub output from the factory amp. Plus, this was before the release of the Bit Ten D, and we wanted/needed the controller for sub volume and switching over to aux for his iPod. Using the aux in negated the $500 part we ordered from Nav-TV to give him aux in to the factory stereo.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beautiful execution though. Not tryin to hate, just asking.
Don't hate!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Plus, we thought something of this level deserved it. I guess you were wondering why not the Bit Ten? Or what would you have used?

As far as active, it is great once all set up properly. However, in my opinion it is a pretty lengthy process to really get all the gain levels set just right for each pair of speakers with an active set up, and passive is just a slam dunk out of the box. So, you won't see much active from me because of how frustrating it was the last time I did it to get things set perfectly. Probably because of how hard it was to get to the gains in that set up, but it sort of deflated my enthusiasm with it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice work!!!!
One day you'll get us to do something for you!!!! Hey, I sold the 6.0 but still have the two 3.0s if you are in the position for a smaller purchase. Holla yo!! Oh yea, I never text you back when we were talking amps a couple of weeks ago about replacing that PPI amp. Check out the Hertz HDP4, it's quite small and is 150 x 4! Text me if you need anything buddy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't hate!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Plus, we thought something of this level deserved it. I guess you were wondering why not the Bit Ten? Or what would you have used?

As far as active, it is great once all set up properly. However, in my opinion it is a pretty lengthy process to really get all the gain levels set just right for each pair of speakers with an active set up, and passive is just a slam dunk out of the box. So, you won't see much active from me because of how frustrating it was the last time I did it to get things set perfectly. Probably because of how hard it was to get to the gains in that set up, but it sort of deflated my enthusiasm with it.
That makes sense. I don't know what the output of the stock head is, but wondered if something like the jl hd's with hi- level inputs may work. However, you wouldn't get the summing or sub level control through one piece, plus the aux in as you mentioned. Thanks for the response. Show us some more soon!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks great! I see a lot of people using that Audison preamp unit. What can you tell me about the highlights of that unit?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That makes sense. I don't know what the output of the stock head is, but wondered if something like the jl hd's with hi- level inputs may work. However, you wouldn't get the summing or sub level control through one piece, plus the aux in as you mentioned. Thanks for the response. Show us some more soon!
Glad it made sense. You're welcome, and I'm working on getting more up for you guys!!

Looks great! I see a lot of people using that Audison preamp unit. What can you tell me about the highlights of that unit?
Thanks man! Yea, it's a pretty popular piece and once you've used one it isn't difficult to see why. Here is a link to all of the highlights of the unit...

http://www.audison.eu/xml/products/pdf/audison_support_technical_sheets/audison_BitOne.1_tech_EN.pdf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts