DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently Joey has given up on the GT-R build log and passed that responsibility onto me...:eek: And its going to take me a lil bit of time to get that up (but i promise to do it by next wednesday).

in the mean time, here is our first full build log for the new year to hold you over until then.

The car is a stoutly modified 2008 Mini Clubman JCW, it has an upgraded turbo and other performance goodies, suspension and other drive train mods, along with a euro spec recaro seat :) Pretty spiffy ride and the second vehicle we have done for this particular customer... (the first being that crazy fast E55AMG wagon from last year)

first two quick shots of the car:

the goals were pretty specific:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality while retaining the stock headunit (non amplified system)

2. maintain a low key appearance wise throughout the interior...this means despite a big tweeter, to keep it relative subdued and recessed.

3. in the hatch, keep everything in the spare tire well and maintain the lower floor height as he frequently sets tall items in the back for transport

4. build a sub upfront and maintain as much legroom as possible

5. as he listens to almost everything from his phone, integrate the mosconi upfront controller and AMAS high resolution bluetooth streaming device into the build.

so lets get started...first up was the battery and a secure fuse holder mounting...which actually took some figuring out. joey located a spot on the firewall that was empty:

and fabricated a metal bracket:

he then installed two rivet nuts and bolted the bracket in place to test it:

the bracket was then painted and the fuse holder installed and wired up:

moving to the signal source, with the oem nav in place we decided to keep the stock signal source....and with the mosconi AMAS bt streaming device, he will be able to stream high resolution files right front his phone to the DAC of the DSP. but in order to have master volume control, we needed to somehow integrate the mosconi DSP controller into the mix. here is what a normal stock mini dash looks like, and as you can see, not a whole lot of real estate:

and here is what joey came up with. the mosconi controller was completely taken out of its casing, a custom mount was fabricated out of acrylic and painted, it sits at the bottom of the center stack and the previously located stock aux/and usb tab is now relocated to below the controller. it is facing up and easily within reach of the driver:

here are some build pics of this process.

first the center stack fascia was removed and a piece of acrylic was cut and bent into the desired shape. it is then back filled and molded to the are where it will reside:

then the controller was taken apart and the board was test fitted to the acrylic piece:

using a metal rod bent for rigidity, joey then attacked a portion of stock aux and usb input panel to the actrylic piece and epoxied it all together:

here is the combination piece test fitted to the fascia:

the attachment spacers for the controller board were then molded into the acrylic and some final blending and sanding took place:

and the entire piece was painted and textured:

moving onto the front stage. the customer really enjoyed the way the Morels sounded in his Mercedes, so we decided to do something similar for this car. with the short and wide A pillar design, and the fact that the car's interior is already full of shiny round shapes, we felt the Morel Supremo piccolo would be a nice choice for the tweeters. The goal was still to keep them as recessed as possible, so they are aimed more off axis. the new pillars are wrapped in factory matching vinyl.

some quick build pics of the pillars.

first, the rings were fabricated, aimed and attached to the factor pillar:

next mold cloth was pulled, resin applied, allowed to cure, and the pods reinforced from the inside via a resin/filler mixture:

then the entire shape got a liberal amounts of filler and sanded smooth:

factory matching vinyl was then used to wrap them:

and the piccolos installed:

the rest of the front stage consists of a set of Morel Elate MW6 woofers...first, new wires were run into the door and the outt door panel was treated to a bit of sound proofing:

next a set of spacer rings were fabricated, pre drilled, and coated with several layers of truck bedliner:

the morel elate midbass was then wired up and installed:

and the outter door panel got a bit of CLD coverage as well:

the same process was then repeated on the passenger side, except on this side i remembered to take a picture of the spekaer wire running through factory molex and conduit:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When discussing where to put the sub with the customer during planning stages, we decided that an upfront driver in the passenger side foot well is the best way to go. he wanted maximum space in the hatch area. The only requirement was to keep as much legroom as possible and have a way to access the fuse panel in the passenger side kick panel...so here is the normal view. his stock rubber floor mat actually curves up and snaps into the underside of the dash perfectly, providing a nice protection layer:

take off the matt and here is what you see. joey came up with a design that featured a top portion wrapped in vinyl and a lower portion that is a vented grille wrapped in breathable black carpet. the idea is to form a flowing piece that integrates well with the dash and stock floor:

the top vinyl wrapped portion is actually secured by magnets, and can be removed by hand easily, this reveals a slightly trimmed out panel behind it that would allow easy access to the fuse panel and fuses:

a few build pics of the subbox...here is an interesting show with the entire dash taken apart...we ended up with a mountain of screws and bolts lol

here is a better shot of the initial floor mold for the subbox, joey basically started the box at the point where the floor begain to curve upward, so no flat area was taken up:

here is the shot with the front baffle attached and test fitted:

then he set out to build the two piece front trim panel. with a divider in between that broke it into half vented carpet, half removable vinyl.

and then the entire box was wrapped in carpet, bolted to the car, and a single illusion audio C10 subwoofer was secured in place via threaded inserts..total internal volume is around .55 ft^3:

next comes a series of pics showing the wiring bundle as it travels from the front of the car to the rear, ziptied and secured every few inches:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moving to the hatch area. as mentioned before, the goal is to keep as much cargo room as possible. the car came to us with no spare tire and no top floor cover. he basically requires as much depth as possible out of the build, so all the amps, processor and wiring needed to be inside the unoccupied spare tire well:

so here is the normal view, as you can see, basically a new fake floor and the entire floor has come up only by the thickness of the wood versus the oem fiberboad material. there is a cutout in the middle that is normally covered by a vented panel:

lift off the cover grille and here is what you see, beneath a red vinyl trimmed board and a piece of painted mesh, resides three mosconi amps, a mosconi DSP and all the relevant wiring and distribution.

two AS200.2s powers the sub with 650 watts and the midbass with 200 watts, while a 100.2 sends 100 watts to the tweeter. the 6ot8V8 DSP runs the entire show, and has the SP-DIF multi optical board and the AMAS chip installed. its a simple two tiered design that spaces the smaller items over the bigger amps...about the only way i found to be able to fit everything and still keep the power and signal cables separate :)

lets remove the fake floor and look a bit closer at the wiring and components...basically an exercise in fitting a bunch of stuff in a tight space :)

some quick build pics of the back. this is the factory well completely cleaned up:

here is the main foundational board and spacers before and after carpet. this is bolted to the car via rivet nuts but i forgot to take a picture of those:

here are the two panels the amps and dsp sit on before and after vinyl:

and here are the two lower amps installed and wired up:

here is the main top floor piece before and after carpeting:

here is the opening border trim before and after vinyl:

and here is the entire floor panel with the trim piece and painted mesh attached:

and finally, here is the vented top grille before and after carpeting:

so thats it, not a very easy car to work on and a lot of fabrication areas but it turned out pretty good :)

the imaging and staging is very solid, with a decent center that is quite high. width is pillar to pillar with good depth. tonality wise, the morel piccolos just do awesome, they have great detail yet is never harsh, and the mibass is very authoritative...but the biggest difference maker is the upfront sub, the C10 really does great in this design and allows us to run it a lil higher than normal (100 hz in this instance) and the impact and extension coming out of it is something else. just like the E30 M3 we did a while back, we are still amazed by how much low end this thing can dish out in such a small and recessed enclosure.

so anyway, thats it for now, back to working on the GT-R build log :D

Bing

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dude I might need to change my first name. I get the feeling that living up to the name Joey is getting harder. Sheesh. Great work you guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those guys are AWESOME..

Can wait to get back the car tomorrow. Now the hardest parts, which car do I want to drive to work..?

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those guys are AWESOME..

Can wait to get back the car tomorrow. Now the hardest parts, which car do I want to drive to work..?
This car scares me a lil...when the boost hits in lower gears she gets a bit squirrelly :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi guys,

Once again, you put in my mind in the “time vs. cost” issue. I don’t have the time (2 young and adventurous boys ages 3 and 6) that require a LOT of daddy time with cost; I rather spend MORE time with them vs. hunting down the tools, parts, etc. in order to build a audio system to this type pf quality build as you do. You guys are outstanding in your work. Hats off to you again. This system is low key but well laid out. I can’t wait to return to the US to get mine done. (Maybe by you???)

Good work guys

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nailed it again! :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
This car scares me a lil...when the boost hits in lower gears she gets a bit squirrelly :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Front Wheel drive with a lot of torque get you that. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Nice install, not a big fan of that Mini. but hey.... owner loves it so it all works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the pleasure of auditioning this Mini a few days ago. Very sweet sounding system, in addition that that 10" Illusion Audio sub hits hard. A very nice build Bing and Joey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts