DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this car around 2 1/2 years ago to replace my 540i wagon. I miss that car, but this one is lighter, has a motor that's just as nice, and has a clutch pedal. Add in a Dinan suspension, and it's as close to an ideal daily driver for me as you can get.

I wanted a system that maintained the stock appearance of the car but that also had a bit of flash underneath, and there's a few installs in this forum from the fine folks at Simplicity in Sound that caught my eye. And after hearing the blue F30 that they did, I really didn't have to do a lot of research for what components I wanted. A big thanks to Bing for being a great vendor for all the speakers, and for the system demo.

Equipment list:
- Helix DSP
- Arc Audio XDi 1200.6
- Arc Audio XDi 600.4
- Morel MT-350 tweeters
- Morel Hybrid 4" midrange
- Gladen 8" underseat woofers
- Audiofrog GS10D2

So, spoiler alert, there's not going to be a lot of originality in this install. I don't have the time right now to reinvent the wheel (although I'd like to) and I know the potential. I've got a good amount completed and will be posting some progress updates shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Love the E90 platform. M-Sport is a great looking car.

I have a passenger trunk enclosure (side loaded) for the E90. If you want it, I’ll make you a great deal on it. I used the same woofer in my car and just removed it. DM me if interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2009 335XI manual owner here, I haven't touched the audio on it yet. Interested to see how your install goes. Nice equipment choices.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It really is a fun car to drive. It's been reliable with the exception of, uh, having to replace the rod bearings at 83k. It seems that when something breaks on these cars it's a big ticket item. I'll probably have it another 2 years which is why I want to go the tried-and-true method on this install.

EmptyKim thanks for the offer, but I'm actually just finishing up building the enclosure! Will post pics on that in a bit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the start of the enclosure. I've done fiberglass work before but it's been quite a while, and I haven't done this type of enclosure before. I'm also using the big box garbage resin (but this is the last time for that) so it's been a bit of a learning curve.

I did the whole process of taping off the side area and used car wax as a mold release, and protected the rest of the trunk with painter's plastic (steps not pictured), and put down two layers of big box (thin) chopped mat. Lessons learned:
- Use good resin
- Use 1.5oz chopped mat
- Get a roller
- Don't mix the resin as hot when you have to put 'glass on vertical and overhead surfaces
- Pre-cut the mat into shaped pieces and not generic squares
- Take your time on this step

After the initial mold cured, I pulled it out and put on another 5-6 layers of the 1.5oz mat. If you look closely at the last pic you can see places where I didn't get the first layer down all the way at some edges, but these spots were filled with body filler afterwards. If I had to do it again I'd use smaller pieces, or at least stretch the mat before I put it down. By the last layer I had finally started to get the hang of things again. I know the top edge follows an odd profile, but more on that later.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just opened my Parts Express package with my trunk liner in it and found that sometime over the last few years they changed the color of the gray carpet. So instead of a the perfect match of some left over stuff I have, it's much lighter now. Does anyone know of a source for carpet that matches BMW gray trunk lining? I saw some stuff on Amazon but it was latex backed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just opened my Parts Express package with my trunk liner in it and found that sometime over the last few years they changed the color of the gray carpet. So instead of a the perfect match of some left over stuff I have, it's much lighter now. Does anyone know of a source for carpet that matches BMW gray trunk lining? I saw some stuff on Amazon but it was latex backed.
Joann’s Fabric

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fellow e90 owner here following for results! Always like to see a nice setup.

Here’s my “SQ” build, not nearly the level of equipment as op.

Pioneer HU
JL 700/5
JL 500/1
Audio system 3 way kit (tweeter, 4” mid, 8” under seat woofer)
JL 12W3 in an IB through rear ski pass IMG_2714.JPG IMG_2615.JPG IMG_2613.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ali-323i cool idea making that storing partition into an enclosure. The one on my car is completely useless. I originally wanted to do something with the amps and processor down there without making a false floor, but it was too shallow and 8ga. wire is about as big as you can fit without pushing up the floor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently bought a Porter Cable router and a circle jig and this was the perfect time to try them out. Man, sure beats having just a jigsaw. I cut a speaker baffle out of 1/2" MDF, and then two trim rings out of 1/2" and 3/4" and glued them together. I then routered a quarter round on the outside of the trim rings.

Since the sub is pretty heavy, it took a while to get the ring positioned just right. It also helps to use a good glue gun... After that was done I made a bracket out of an old steel bike rack bracket I had laying around. A notch was cut in the enclosure with a Dremel and a small cutting wheel (thanks for letting me borrow it, mom!) and then the bracket was bent on a vice with a hammer and trimmed. Finally, I bolted the bracket in and sealed up everything with silicone. This will be what holds the enclosure to the car on the top, where one of the existing plastic carpet rivets will go through.

With that out of the way, I wrapped fleece around the whole thing. I also learned that you have to really soak fleece with resin otherwise it won't go all the way through. Off came the first piece and on went a new one along with almost a quart of resin, then two layers of fiberglass mat.

After that was allowed to cure, I put a thin layer of body filler on and did a lot of sanding with a belt sander and an orbital to get it trimmed.

When I routered the baffle/trim ring, I accidentally set the bit just a hair below the surface. Not that it would have made made a real difference if it were flush, but it turned out to be a good thing because it left a small step before the round, so when I sanded away the fleece it was easy to see where I should stop sanding.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I went to test fit the enclosure in the car, I found that the edges had shrunk in almost 1/8" on some sides making it fit pretty loose. Is that common with fleece in general, or is that a result of using poor-quality resin?

A good solution I found was to put a small strip of trunk liner on the edges where it was loose. I'd rather not have to do that, but it actually looked great when I tested it with a piece of trunk liner.

Yesterday I put on another layer of filler and sanded it down, so now the thread is caught up to my progress. The next steps are to
- test the volume with water
- add the sub mounting hardware
- upholster the whole thing
- add the speaker wire.

I'm still trying to figure out how complicated I want to make the sub grille.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've also been doing more investigating on the trunk liner. Joanne's has some stuff that is an exact color match that they call "felt", but it's about half the thickness as trunk liner. It's looking like I will have to dye it what I have, but does anybody else know of a matching material?

Ali-323i, for reference, where did you get your trunk liner that you used for the enclosure under the trunk floor? What was the color called?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like the look of that enclosure! I think you did an excellent job on it. I can’t give you any technical assistance, I can only encourage
That's quite a compliment coming from someone who has a sub in their glovebox!

There's nothing wrong with a little encouragement, so much appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tonight I was able to install t-nuts, paint the speaker baffle, and check the volume of the enclosure with water. The box that Audiofrog suggests is 0.7 cu. ft. gross volume, or about 20 liters. I ended up with 24 liters, so I made a block off plate out of MDF for the top right and sealed it off with silicone. I was also able to fill a couple pin holes at the same time.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to carpet it and install the speaker terminals.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts