DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been nearly a decade since I've had a decent stereo in my car, and I have a good amount of gear left over. I bought this truck in January with the idea of a minimal, balanced stereo.

I really like the head unit I picked up, and impressed with the amount of features that came along with it. As seen here.

Then I went down to the basement

4x IDQ8 SVC 4-ohm (1st gen?)
-The ones in baffles from my 99 Bonneville I believe are original.
-The other set in boxes I had refurbished by ID and have never seen power since.
PG Xenon x200.2 and x100.4, forgot these were made in America
Sony XM-475GSX, which is like the coolest model number btw

So now i'm waiting for my Stereo Integrity TM65 and M25 set to show up, and also a box I'm having made by Net Audio for a pair of those 8's to go under the rear seat.

Now I'm just waiting on the warm weather..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK! So 4 day weekend and the weather is going to be nice! Here's a bunch of photos!

Reactions: street.terror

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy with the progress so far, even though it doesn't seem that much is done yet...

I probably went a little overkill on the CLD tiles, so I may end up ordering more to treat the doors. I have enough for the front doors, but I need to find some sheet metal to seal the holes. I saw a video online where he used threaded rivets or something, so I plan to steal that idea.

How should I go about putting the CCF and MLV down on the back wall and floor? Should I have a large sheet start at the bottom of the rear window and contour it into the floor?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update while the rain quits...

I have the floor complete. I actually found it easier to work with strips of the MLV and then use that as a template for the CCF. Under the front seats was a PITA with all the contours. Next step is running power and speaker cable, I will have to take the doors off to get at the harness to drill through. And both my Xenon amps will not fit, so I plan to buy a JL HD900/5 to replace both.

On to the photos..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rain is really cramping my style... Here's some more photos of front door treatment and other prep.

I used threaded rivets with M6 cap head bolts and cutting boards to cover the door openings. 4-conductor 14AWG speaker wire was ran, but I needed to take the doors off to get to the wire harnesses in order to modify them. I have the CCF cut out for the front/rear passenger doors, but need the rain to stop to make sure they're going to work before I copy them for the other side!

Also, I picked up a JL HD900/5 to run the whole thing

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting much closer now!

Here's my process of mounting the amp to the rear trim panel, using a dollar store cutting board as the backer board:

Laying out the panel

Removing the carpet material

Spotting the amp

Got a little close to the edge but it worked out

Needed to cut back some of the CCF/MLV to get the panel to fit correctly

Panel in, bottom of trim notched out for wiring

Subwoofer enclosure spotted

Fired up the amp for the first time for a quick test, no issues!

And the passenger door is done with TM65 installed!

I used cheap cutting boards for the door openings, and needed to recess the top right panel because of door panel interference. The speaker baffle is made from HDPE, which is SO much easier to work with than the cutting boards, since it doesn't melt back together while cutting with a jigsaw.

I used the SDS butyl rubber rope to line the openings and speaker baffle and then secured everything in place, using blue thread locker on the bolts. I made a CCF ring for the speaker to mount between it and the HDPE.

Driver's side door to follow today, and then I need to treat the center console with material before putting the interior back together. Then I can treat the doors with CCF/MLV and then tune!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Not sure what you're using to cut the cutting boards with, but if you have a Jigsaw that accepts T-shank blades (like my Bosch and Milwaukee) Bosch makes PVC and Plexiglass blades that might work better for you. Available at Home Depot, btw.

Also, I had an '05 Standard cab Colorado. I kinda miss it...but only until my 6.0L S-10 is done. lol

Jay

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a T-shank Dewalt, but I used a Bosch metal cutting blade. I just needed to use the slowest speed and take my time. The white cutting boards were OK, it was the first speaker baffle I made out of a thicker black cutting board when I started having problems. The first baffle didn't come out the way I wanted, so I bought 1/2" HDPE instead. Much nicer material

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I've run into a problem with my front doors, I can't get the door panel to fit because of the way I mounted the largest cutting board. Part of the door panel needs to recess slightly into that opening, so I need to figure out a way to mount the board from the inside

Any ideas?

I was planning on using epoxy to secure a nut and washer to one side of the board so that I can torque them down. I'm open to other ideas as well..

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can do the same thing you did for the upper right hole.
Mount the rivnut into the board and put a long screw in the middle of the large board to hold it while you bolt it in.
You should b able to finagle that board into that opening.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The T-nuts ended up working really well! I pressed them into the cutting boards with a vice and a large nut on the other side. So both front doors have been corrected. Yesterday, I was able to get 3/4 door panels on, need to finish up the CCF/MLV for the drivers door.

Ran into an issue after putting in the rear bench seats.. I can't get them to latch to the back of the cab :( I'm close but it's just not fitting right. I'm so close to being done, the center console is treated and ready to go back in, just need to finish the door and figure out the latch situation.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Good work on the deadening! I had a set of IDQ8's years ago (I used a set of IDQ6's in the doors and the 8's behind the seat), man I miss them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good work on the deadening! I had a set of IDQ8's years ago (I used a set of IDQ6's in the doors and the 8's behind the seat), man I miss them.
Thanks! It was an absolute PITA getting the rear panel of the cab to go on correctly so that both seats could latch. It still isn't as good as I want, but I'm burnt out :dead:

The IDQ's sound so good, love how low they can get!

Now I just need to set the gains, TA and EQ, track down a couple squeaks in the dash, and wire up the backup camera and I'll be DONE done :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was curious at what volume my deck would start to clip, so I bought a nice little oscilloscope to find out!

Playing a 1kHz tone, I was able to turn up to 31/35 before clipping. Setting the gains with a DMM is also a PITA, since I need to remove the rear seats to get to the speaker terminals

So those two things are set now, I need to back off the tweeters, as they are pretty bright. I'm also disappointed to hear how audible the noise floor is coming from my JVC... I double checked by removing an RCA at the amplifier and the hissing goes away. I'm looking at the Pioneer x4800bs to replace it with. Maybe the factory ground isn't sufficient..

The TM65's don't really put out as much midbass as I was expecting, but I'm going to keep playing with them. Really happy with the IDQ's, lots of output and accurate. I have the 30Hz subsonic filter enabled on the amplifier as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sooo I'm upgrading my source unit. I really have never been happy with the stereo, and I think it's because of the way the JVC controlled my phones volume. It limits it to 50% which affected my gain setting.

So I've been wanting to try out a DSP and Android Auto, so I picked up an Excelon DMX7706S and a DSP-408. Spent this morning connecting everything up had about 15 min to play around with the DSP, I think it will work out well for me. Shout out to Tessa tape and XT60 connectors, love em

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I already had ran a set of 3-channel RCAs to the amp in the back, I decided to put the DSP in the dash behind the head unit. Because there's no CD player on the DMX7706S, it uses a shallower case so I have plenty of room behind it. I propped it up on its side to keep the RCAs from wearing out, and zip tied it in place.

Had a few days of trouble setting the gain on the 900/5, but basically came down to my inexperience with my oscilloscope and Class D amps in general. The carrier frequency looked much worse when I was looking at DC voltage at the terminals. And because the grid intervals were set too low, it looked like I was clipping immediately. Once I got all that figured out I got everything set up using 1kHz and 50Hz 0db tones and have maximum headroom. Here's the noise on the sub channel, which I can't hear:

So now I have a quick ear-tune plugged into the DSP-408 and I'm very happy so far. I used a polarity app to discover that I needed to swap the phase of each midbass driver. Need to dedicate time with REW to maximize everything as well.

And I'm going to mount one of these to the left of the head unit in order to use a really short cable to my phone mount:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey came out pretty good, I'm happy with the results

Panel comes off easily, lots of room:

Taped off the general area where I wanted to make the opening, then made a couple marks for centerlines. Used a caliper to measure the distance on center between mounting holes and punched a couple dimples. Once I drilled the holes, I could bolt the end of the adapter into the painter tape to make an impression, then I traced it. Dremel did the center, but didn't do that great of a job to be honest. It will always be hidden by a plug though anyway :)

M3 machine thread low cap head bolts to secure in place. I did end up shaving the face off this connector in order to make up for the thickness of the panel:

Quick spray of black paint off on the side then finished up:

Double 90 connector cable keeps everything tidy

Reactions: Shrek
1 - 20 of 20 Posts