DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a thread on this vehicle because when I was in the planning stage I couldn't find anything on the internet for ideas and insight for the gen4 explorer. This is a basic upgrade on the entire system, I am extremely happy with the way this ended up and I recommend all the components that I used. I am almost completely done so I will be taking more photos and posting updates for the next few days. Let's start at the beginning I chose the Pioneer 2660, there isn't much to talk about here, the only thing I wanted to mention was I grounded the parking brake wire to the driver's side kick panel area with a simple toggle switch. My personal preference is to run constant power to the head unit, this radio draws a lot of power when off so I placed a toggle in the ignition wire for when I know my car will be sitting for a few days. I mounted the toggles under the steering wheel panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For speakers I went with Infinity kappa's, I got these almost dirt cheap a few years ago on closeout, 5.25 components ($145) in the front doors and 5x7 coax ($110) in the rears. I contribute the sound quality of the system to these speakers, if you're just getting into car audio the most important thing in my opinion is quality speakers. I used the boom mat foam baffle/enclosure for damping and it worked out well, I cut half of the bottom out, I have no rattles or vibrations in the doors. It started as a experiment but worked out pretty well. As for the tweeters I chose to mount them forward facing as close to the woofer as possible. Since they are soft dome they have great dispersion and they aren't too harsh because their basically in your face. Surface mounts were the only option here, this worked out for me because when I sell the car I just have small holes to fill. More photos to come later, I have to remove my door panels to repaint the tweeters with the paint I used for the sub boxes, it matches much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I went with punch amplifiers, I believe these are the perfect middle of the road amps. I ran the power through the factory grommet for the under hood fuse relay box. I poked a hole in the top with an awl, lubed up a small pvc pipe and fed the wire through. I mounted the amps behind the cargo panel where the factory sub used to be, there is sooo much room behind there you can almost do anything. As far as wires I have nvx, I can't say enough about nvx wires, fuse holders and such, they are great quality and the cheapest prices. I do buy knu koncepts when I need odd lengths like for the big 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I went with 8" suds, I wanted to have the full spectrum of music without rattling the car, this worked out perfectly, I didn't have to spend hundreds on sound deadening mat. Perfect that is until I listened to music and realized how good the kappa woofers are and the fact that the 8 is so tight and accurate, it left me wanting more, so I bought another. I have a soccer mom van and occasionally I put stuff in the cargo area so I put a speaker cabinet post terminal in the cargo panel so I can remove one or both of the subs when needed. I built a simple angled back enclosure, I am no carpenter these did not turn out prefect at all. The only thing I wanted to say about these are that I used smd terminal cups, if I were to do it again I would have just used bolts, drilled the hole slightly smaller and tapped them in with a rubber mallet.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts