DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Today I did a little sound deadening in the trunk. One layer of Kolosus and a thin layer of foam on top of it, mostly because i had it laying around. I also stuffed the open spaces with a dense CCF.

The thin foam cleaned it the gap between the factory carpet and sub baffle pretty nicely. I have a plan for covering the CLD on the trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have been working on my 91 recently full overhaul. Just bought the hlcd replacement from steven audio for my image dynamics hlcd from ages ago. Got his 8 midbass for doors as well. Ill be starting a build log soon as well. Weird typically dont care to and just build and move on. After seeing yours i want to give it a go. Your car looks good by the wat.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
What is the apl1 exactly? I looked on their site and it im a bit confused. Is this a good item to use in conjunction with a dsp type unit or is that essentially what it is? I have a mini dsp 6x8 and if it makes it all better im interested in getting one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
The APL1 is a two channel FIR processor. The simplest explanation(but not 100% correct) is that it 4096 bands of EQ for each channel, and it is tuned by using the APL Workshop software.

There are a few threads here that go into detail about them, if you are serious about buying one then you should read all those threads more than once, and keep them bookmarked. It's not the most user friendly gear, but I will gladly jump in and help with learning how to use the software if you do buy a unit.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
If it adds to the dsp i have on otherwords isnt more of the same then im def interested. I originally looked them up and only found your thread. Ill do a search again. Maybe i just missed the posts.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I just read the more important parts of the apl1 thread. Im definitely getting this. I currently have a mini dsp 6x8 so this works perfectly. Is it easier to get a hold of someone in this forum that sells it or just go direct?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
[email protected] Contact @Raimonds at that email address to start the ordering process.

Here are the relevant threads:

And the APL1012:

I have both units and can help with tuning on either one.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Awesome thank you. Now i need to look into doing a headless source unit. Just want volume knob and practically lossless from phone

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
It's not hard, for an Apple device you use a Lightning to HDMI dongle. Connect the HDMI output into an HDMI audio de-embedder, most have the option for 2ch on their digital out. From you go either coax or TOSLINK to your first DSP. You can find Lightning extension cables on Amazon so you can hide the dongle somewhere in the car. The phone won't charge as fast as normal through the dongle.

I think the process is similar for Android phones, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

It looks like you are in Tennessee, is that correct? I recently moved to Cincinnati.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Sounds good. Maybe set it up when there is a car meet and we can take the miatas? Its up to you not sure if you are full on car person but it seems as if you are based on thread and the fact its a miata.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I'm definitely a car guy, check out my Bronco build thread as well. However, I work in live entertainment and most of my work is on the weekends. So it would most likely have to be a mid-week thing.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Picking up where I left off:

Ugly CLD exposed on the trunk lid. Today I put some Dynamat Hoodliner over the CLD to fill the shallow parts of the decklid frame:

But that is still ugly! One of the benefits of having a car that is super popular to mod is having off the shelf solutions for things. I covered up the ugly with a CarbonMiata decklid panel:

That looks SO much better!

Since I now had a big chunk of Hoodliner around...

The stock hoodliner:

It's not ugly, not good looking, it's totally forgettable. I honestly didn't remember if the car actually had one. Not only is it there, but it is getting brittle, and is much thinner than the Dynamat product. In theory, by switching over to a thicker product, if can lower the frequency where it starts absorbing sound. So I removed the stock liner and laid it on top of the Dynamat to make a pattern:

Then I cleaned the hood. Be careful, those speed holes will wreck your knuckles!

Then I attached the Dynamet Hoodliner:

This was an impulse install, I don't have before / after DB measurements, so I don't know if it is effective at reducing noise. But hey, I now have one less thing to store in my garage!

161 - 180 of 180 Posts