DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to have an install done in the next few months and have nailed down most of the equipment I want to use:

• Zed Audio - Draconia 1
  • Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
  • Soundstream - 1.500 Monoblock
  • JL Audio Stealthbox (10w6)
  • Seas Lotus - Reference 165
  • Seas Lotus - RT27
I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for the front stage in the $700 - $1200 range, this will be actively crossed over through the 80PRS. Install will be done by simplicityinsound. I am planning to have the Mids installed in kick-panels and the tweeters in the a-pillars.

My music tastes are mostly Metal, Rock and Jazz Fusion but I also listen to pop and acoustic, I want strong punchy midbass with some impact and clean, airy, non-fatiguing highs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
the kicks are kind of iffy because the hood latch is there... you may want to think twice about that part, or have it relocated.

the seas drivers are great, i cant think of anything negative besides that they are expensive - but you know you are getting a great product.

i would say that sound deadening is very important even in a VW that already comes with more than most american cars, dont skimp here. mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam, and vibration dampening tiles are awesome things that bing knows a lot about.

why are you choosing mis-matched amplifiers if i may ask? do you already have them? is there anything specific about that choice? i am not saying they are bad amplifiers or you need to have matching equipment - because you dont - but its a pet-peeve of mine to not have matching amps :)

and why are you thinking about a stealthbox? you could just go and buy a good quality subwoofer and have bing fiberglass it in the corner and save you loads of space and prolly come out to being the same price with the same sound quality. im not saying that they are bad speakers - virtually everything that JL makes is good quality, im just saying that there is more to an install than just spending money on a good product. the install has to fit the purpose as well.

just a few questions i think you may like to think about :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey thanks for the quick reply and tips. The reason for the mismatched amps is I already had the zed audio from an old install and want to reuse it. I get the pet-peeve but the new zed amps don't match the old ones and I didn't want to get rid of the draconia. I was planning to get the stealthbox because I hadn't really thought of having a custom enclosure built and I want to keep as much of my hatch available as possible.

Now that I am thinking about it though I will take a look at some other subs to install in the same space. What are some good 8 or 10" subs with good SQ and output I am looking at the JL 8W7-3.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
in my oppinion the 8w7 is not a SQ sup per-se. its some weird thing that they made to fit small spaces.

in audio, specifically low frequencies - cone area is king. then efficiency. then power handeling and excursion are neck and neck in my eyes, maybe an advantage to excursion - but then things get less efficient and power requirements go up... i put a 10 in the left hand side corner for my wifes '11 golf. i spent about $50 on materials and $120 on the speaker and its perfect for her.

if it were me, i would do a pair of subs if i wanted to do both corners, or i would use the spare tire well and get rid of the spare if that is an option. its a full size spare, so a 15" sub is not out of the question - and there are tons of 15" subs that are at or under the $100 mark that sound great.

so my recommendation is to look at a wider spectrum of subwoofers and pick something with more cone area and a small sealed box requirement, and work from there. there is no need to pick the smallest speaker with the largest amount of cone area and lackluster efficiency (83db @ im assuming 1w\1m) and a fairly large enclosure for an 8 (~1 cubic foot) requirement on top of it all.

i would say ask bing about a custom box for the sub either in the tire well or the corner behind the tail lights and getting more cone area than the w7 .the w7 series are great subs, but i just dont see the point in it if you can fit more cone area with equal or better sound quality for way less money.

because design constraints are going to be the limiting factors on what kind of subwoofer bing can fit into the car. the JL slim subs are awesome too, the TW13 something or other... it all depends on how he plans to install the equipment and if you plan on buying the sub(s) through bing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great input thanks, ok so based on your feedback and the feedback from Bing I have decided to change my planned system, the new system is:

• Seas Lotus Ref Mids and Tweets
  • Pioneer 880PRS
  • Arc Audio ks300.4
  • Arc Audio 300.2
  • Morel Primo 10" sub in custom enclosure
Bing suggested door pods over the kicks due to my requirement that I want to be able to return the car to stock in case I decided to sell it.

Overall I feel a lot better about this system than the one I had originally planned, thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a single 10" hertz hi energy in the left side of the trunk in my 2006 gti. It sounded really good, and since the cabin is not very big and it was a hatch I was never really lacking in output. I'm sure with Bing and Joey involved it will come out great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts