DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just picked up a 2011 black 335IS with DCT. Drawback is the car has base stereo (no HK / premium audio package).

I usually drop aftermarket audio systems in the cars I own if it makes sense (installation and money spent for desired results). I am thinking of the following upgrade:

-Audison bit one/ten DSP
-2-way component set running with passive crossovers
-Upgrade the mid bass drivers under the seat with SWS 8"
-4channel amp to power the front component set + SWS 8" subs

My question is.. will the Hybrid Audio Clarus 5-1 set fit within the doors with a custom mounting bracket/ adaptor? Reason asking is because I have a set already. I know the stock speaker is 4" and the Clarus is 5.25". If it's just a matter of slight mods without major cutting of the door panel then I will be okay with it.

Reportedly, e92 & e93 front doors have only about 43 mm mounting depth, measured from the grille side of the speaker adapter.

I've included the link to the Clarus specs for reference:
http://hybrid-audio.com/downloads/sp...erence-guides/
http://hybrid-audio.com/downloads/sp...nts-Manual.pdf

Links to some installs done by other BMW owners:
2011 - E90 - Full Install Project - Completed

List of aftermarket speakers:
Aftermarket Replacement Speakers List

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
It would require a good deal of modification to the door panels if you wanted to install 5.25 inch speakers in an e92 coupe. If you are looking to go with HAT then I would recommend the ls4 SE carbons for the doors. They are slim enough to fit without modifying the panels. Supposedly audio frog makes a 4" that fits as well. Now if you had an E90 it could be possible to put the 5.25's in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would require a good deal of modification to the door panels if you wanted to install 5.25 inch speakers in an e92 coupe. If you are looking to go with HAT then I would recommend the ls4 SE carbons for the doors. They are slim enough to fit without modifying the panels. Supposedly audio frog makes a 4" that fits as well. Now if you had an E90 it could be possible to put the 5.25's in there.
Yeah I contacted the HAT guys and they recommended the L4SE Carbon Series as well. It will be a very tight snug fit tho. Plus that's kinda out of my price range for a 4". I'll be looking towards a Morel or Focal set.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check out Musicarnw......morels and either gladden or jehnerts for under seat. You will need some sort of de-eq system I used a clean sweep in my 2011 base upgrade but depend on how base your car is. E90 post has tons of info as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Btw, your car is, in my opinion, the last great BMW. I have had an s4 and a 435 since and the steering in the 11's blew both away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out Musicarnw......morels and either gladden or jehnerts for under seat. You will need some sort of de-eq system I used a clean sweep in my 2011 base upgrade but depend on how base your car is. E90 post has tons of info as well.
Yeah, I'm on e90 post as well. I was also advised on the Jehnerts for under the seat. I might go that route. If I get an Audition Bit One, will that have capability to sum up and de-eq the system?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Btw, your car is, in my opinion, the last great BMW. I have had an s4 and a 435 since and the steering in the 11's blew both away.
Haha thanks! That's partially the reason why I got it. The BMW feel with the sleek E92 body. Audis are great looking cars but I didn't like the steering on my friend's A5. Haven't had a chance to drive the new 4 series yet but sat in my friend's 428i and interior is dope.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Yeah I contacted the HAT guys and they recommended the L4SE Carbon Series as well. It will be a very tight snug fit tho. Plus that's kinda out of my price range for a 4". I'll be looking towards a Morel or Focal set.
Yeah unfortunately custom stereo and bmw doesn't equal affordable. The L4se carbons pretty much dropped right in for me. The HAT's actually replaced morel hybrid/ovations 4 inch in the doors (which required door modifications). The Addison Bitone would work but requires a lot of tuning.
If you want to put the Morel's in the door then take a look at Technic's write up on E90 post to see how it is done.
Had the Jehnerts and was happy with them. Just bear in mind they are not subs and are bass drivers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I am really leaning towards the Focal 100KRS set. It says the E92 doors require heavy modding to fit the Morels after more research.

What tweeters are you using with the L4SE Carbon? How would you compare them to the Morel hybrid/ovation? Also are you talking about the coaxial ones (the Morel Hybrid Integra 402)?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210IN...&awnw=g&awcr=102806217625&awdv=c&awug=9061323

When you say lots of tuning to do you mean equalize and time alignment of each speaker? have a buddy with tons of experience with the Audison DSPs and can help me fine tune the system.

Also, are you running aftermarket speakers for your rear doors or did you keep them stock?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts